PDA

View Full Version : Where or how to practice photography? and other questions

cuervo.taylor
04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi guys,

How do you usually practice photography, for example going to a park taking pictures, the zoo, a cemetery.

I'm a newb with a gh3 (still waiting for my lens to arrive), I want to start practicing.

Which places do you feel ok taking photographs.

I'm very respectful of other people space...as a photographer do we have to fight against shyness and take snapshots at whatever we can? how do you deal with this dilemma?

I remeber watching this video or a guy with a leika making street photography and just taking photos of people without their consent sometimes people even seemed to be bothered, he took great pictures but I can never imagine me doing the same. :P

Ryan Patrick O'Hara
04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Everywhere. You'll find if you stretch the mind, you can make anywhere interesting or find just one thing about that place or person that is photoworthy.

Take photos everywhere.

Places to avoid: Government/Military buildings, hospitals and schools. The first takes that shit very seriously, the second is because of privacy laws, and the third is because parents go nuts and you'll look like a predator! Otherwise, go nuts.

Ryan Patrick O'Hara
04-23-2013, 02:41 PM
I've never used this, so possible quality issues withstanding, is a funny little thing to keep people from knowing you are taking photos of them.

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/candid-camera-accessories-super-secret-spy-lens

TheDingo
04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
...I always recommend asking strangers if they mind you taking their picture. If you are friendly and explain your love of photography most people won't mind. I always offer to send them a copy if they can provide me with an email address. ( I shoot an extra shot of them holding up their address, which makes it easy to send it to them )

Sometimes I will ask them after I've already taken their shot, because I wanted to capture a moment before it was gone.

cuervo.taylor
04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
I see. Thanks for advice guys, what places you prefer?

Paul F
04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Ryan answered this well. Everywhere and anywhere. The point being that you should learn to let your eye find the shot. A garbage dump could be as interesting as a park. A weathered door with fading paint is as interesting as a weathered face. An old rusty pipe might be as interesting as a beautiful girl.

Color, texture, light, shadow, and shape all work together in the composition. These can be anywhere.

The best time of day is early in the morning and later in the afternoon and evening when the light gets warmer and the shadows add to the composition. They don't call it the golden hour for nothing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bangkok_skytrain_sunset.jpg

Jordan_S
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Know your camera well. Practice on it by doing the things you'll need to do. That way your hands will have muscle memory. You don't want to be fumbling with the controls when you need to be firing.

Two good books: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and The Art of Photography by Bruce Barnbuam. If you get into landscapes, obviously read Ansel Adams. Even though he's talking about film, if you understand the differences between film and digital, you can put his advice to use. And his autobiography is a great read whether or not you're into images.

But yeah, shoot anywhere and everywhere. Carry your camera with you always. You'll find what appeals to you. Keep notes about what you learn. Track what works and what doesn't and why in a program like Lightroom.

I understand the reluctance to shoot strangers. I don't usually do it either. But sometimes you just have to take the shot. I've done it and when someone has asked me why I simply ignore the person. I am in Israel and can pretend to not understand Hebrew. In public areas, you are allowed to take photos, even of private property. But while on private property, the owner says what goes.

J Davis
04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
I like taking photos with willing participants, usually models, and using lights.

Its a great fast way to work with your people skills, your lighting skills and results are much more immediate than with video