PDA

View Full Version : cost of visual effects?

HKB
04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Can anyone point me to a cost break down of what typically one would expect to pay for a visual effects crew?

I know that rates are probably all over the place but costs on the average would be helpful.

nosys70
04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
i think somebody already ask this silly question.
silly answer is average is 1000$ from 1 to 1.000.000$

HKB
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
i think somebody already ask this silly question.
silly answer is average is 1000$ from 1 to 1.000.000$

If it is silly then you should be able to point me to the thread.

bruceallen
04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Cost of a good VFX artist is in the $40 - $100 per hour range.

You can go cheaper than that... but then there's a high chance the VFX artist will be slower and not achieve as much per hour. So you might pay more anyway!

If you go to a company they will likely take that hourly rate and add on a little padding. Eg $150 - $400 per hour.

The only way around this is if you make a project that is extremely awesome and useful to that company or individual to have on their reel. Or maybe they want to build a relationship with you - eg if you are a hot commercial director and you want to do a short film, they might help you out because they know you'll send lots more commercial work their way and if a feature ever gets off the ground, you'll give them a shout. If they have no other paying work, you might get their work for less.

So the real question is... how many hours is what you want going to take? And how awesome is your project?

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com (http://www.boacinema.com)

Cassius
04-01-2013, 03:59 PM
The real question is what effects you need and at what quality. You can't ask a question this broad and expect a real answer. Create a description and send that to various companies and individuals to get quotes. That cost per hour is meaningless if you have no concept of how many hours you're paying for, or of what type of work is required.

HKB
04-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey... Bruce and Cassius thanks for the insight. Just thought I'd post the question... I knew the answer wouldn't come easy. Been doing some additional research and found what I was looking for in general terms. Thanks again for taking the time!

itoocg
04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
VFx costs various with type of work required,
Green screen removal, wire removal,
if you want to integrate 3D objects/character or something into
the scene it will require camera tracking
3d modeling and a lot of work will be involved,
and thus cost will keep on increasing,
and we can go for full crowd of 3D people
all ready to fight, that will cost a lot lot ....