PDA

View Full Version : Most Common Jib mounting options

Jeremy_Sawatzky
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
I am near releasing my crane/jib. I am finalizing attachment options for cameras and tripods.

How many of you would prefer a built in pan base on the jib vs depending on your tripod head to do the panning? - The jib weighs 9lbs and is 10ft long. Capacity up to 13lbs.

- Either a 3/8 threaded flat plate on the bottom of the crane to attache a quick release plate to. (using the tripod head for panning)
- A Pan base with a 3/8 thread to screw into a 75mm Bowl mount of your choosing

For camera attachments

- A single plate with holes for 1/4in and 3/8 size bolts. (Flat base tripod heads would attach easily) Or you just attach the camera directly to the plate.
- A 75mm bowl mount on the end of the crane for attaching the tripod head of your choice.

Ive attached a couple images to show what I mean.

This is where you would attach your tripod head or camera. Note the 3/8 and 1/4in holes

This is what you would mount on your tripod head to carry the crane.

Thanks guys

Michael Carter
03-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, one of the reasons you'd mount a crane to a tripod head (for a low budget scenario anyway) would be to pan while shooting - I've done that (usually with a kessler with the short tip) so you would want a good fluid action at the sticks.

If you're just talking something to point the crane in a general direction during setup (so you don't have to rotate the whole tripod), I suppose that would be useful most of the time. But if you want to pan while shooting, can you deliver something well-damped with a great feel?