PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice, unsure of which direction to take

EliteF50
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Hey guys,

So my friends and I have been making short films and VFX videos for YouTube for the past year or so, without a real plan as to how we're gonna make this into a career. Well, we were partnered on YT and asked to make a web series for our partnership network. We accepted, we even took a whole year off college to focus on film and make it a career.

Our channel is doing pretty well so far, however, we're not sure if we're going about it the right way. The videos we post on our channel are mainly VFX videos because it seems like that's what people on there want, but we're not trying to become VFX artists. So we're thinking of changing our mindset and focusing on making a solid film/short-film to enter into film festivals.

We've been going the FreddieW/CorridorDigital route so far on our channel, but we want to be making films with stories, not just VFX exercises. Does it seem like a good decision to go the film festival route right now, or should we keep going with the VFX videos for the exposure and move into short films later?

Here's a link to our channel if you want to check out our work: www.youtube.com/aperturevfx

JoeJITSU
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Good Stuff Bro.
It's really up to you on what you would like to do. There is not a wrong way to do it, you just have to love what you do, not others.

TimAkers
08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
EliteF50:

While I do agree with JoeJITSU, I think what you are really asking is "We want to take our filmmaking to the next level; would you support this?"

To that, I say, go the film festival direction. There are a lot rules you must follow, but, getting yourself exposed physically, rather than virtually, is key. Here is the thing; if you want to expand, as a filmmaker, and an artist, there really is only one way to go, and that's to encapsulate yourself with more artists like yourself. On YouTube, you're not really competing against an audience, as it's really just based on "View-Count" and such. But, a film festival is dependent upon ticket sales, other artists' admirations and votes, and a panel of creative and demanding judges. You're not going to get that on YouTube or Vimeo.

With that, you should focus on the art itself and put yourself out there. Continue putting content on YouTube if you can. Or, make enough content ahead of time that you can just simply upload it to YouTube when you have to, making it look like you're on top of things. During that time, you just focus on your short-feature films. If too much time runs by, put a quick "Sorry for the late update..." on your YouTube channel, upload your premade content, let the supportive and non-supportive group (trolls) pay their respects, and use the next six days to film your project.