PDA

View Full Version : Avid MC: Timeline specs for NTSC HD Broadcast spot with 23.976 footage + animation?

jbklynnyc
03-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Say I'm cutting a national commercial, and let's say that the final delivery will be 1080/60i.

Half the commercial is live action, and that incoming footage was shot at 23.976 fps.

The other half of the commercial is native animation that is created in After Effects.

Now, my questions are:

1) What timeline should I be cutting in?
2) Should I ask my animator to work in 23.976 fps? Or should I ask that he deliver in a different frame rate? I ask because I know there will ultimately be a conversion applied to get to 1080/60i, so is it better from a quality perspective for him to deliver at a generation closer to that final frame rate?

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but as much as I search through the forums for answers, I can't seem to find a thread that addresses this exact combination. Thanks.

MichaelP
03-16-2013, 06:16 AM
See my answer on the COW.

David Jimerson
03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Say I'm cutting a national commercial, and let's say that the final delivery will be 1080/60i.

Half the commercial is live action, and that incoming footage was shot at 23.976 fps.

The other half of the commercial is native animation that is created in After Effects.

Now, my questions are:

1) What timeline should I be cutting in?
2) Should I ask my animator to work in 23.976 fps? Or should I ask that he deliver in a different frame rate? I ask because I know there will ultimately be a conversion applied to get to 1080/60i, so is it better from a quality perspective for him to deliver at a generation closer to that final frame rate?

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but as much as I search through the forums for answers, I can't seem to find a thread that addresses this exact combination. Thanks.

Cut your footage in its own frame rate. You only need 60i for delivery, so worry about that when you deliver.

jbklynnyc
03-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Great. That's what I suspected. Thanks very much!