PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Pro Cs6 & Final Cut Pro X compatibility with canon video files?

Johnny B
03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just recently purchased a new Power Mac Pro and I'm looking to get either CS6 or FCP X for it. I am currently shooting weddings with a canon XA10 and a 5d mark ii. In general, what is the opinion on which program is better and more importantly will both of these programs work smoothly with the canon video files? I really want to avoid having to covert video files first to either start editing or to export to dvd. I am also upgrading from burning dvd's to now burning brurays. Lastly, before i bought the new mac tower i edited on Final Cut Studio and I have never used or learned CS6. But since FCP X supposedly had a recent makeover, it seems It comes with a little learning curve? So I'm willing to learn CS6 depending if its possibly better for a canon workflow and bluray burning. That being said, how is the learning curve on CS6? Thanks for your time and any input is greatly appreciated.

Johnny

mmka1985
03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Both work well with Canon files. I would strongly recommend downloading a trial of each and seeing which program gives you a greater ease of use. Being a Final Cut Studio editor myself, CS6 was a smooth transition however I am now embracing FCP X ease of use for shorter form edits thanks to the recent updates they've made. I have friends who have edited weddings on both programs and have their opinions for both so I believe the common denominator comes down to you.

Johnny B
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Great input. I really appreciate it. Good to hear that it was an easy transition to CS6 and also that your are enjoying FCP X. And really great to hear that both work great with canon. I agree you and i will definitely try out the free trials. Thanks again. Any other insight on the topic is welcomed.

Johnny

GavinAbe
03-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I would agree with mmka1985 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?66272-mmka1985) , find one that works for you CS6 is more of a older type of editing form and the way people are use to editing in the industry, where are FCPx is a more modern approch to editing. Each has there strengths and weakness. My feeling is to go with FCPX as it is a apple product and the software is made for mac so this limits your problem. I would suggest doing a bit more research to see what are the problem areas. Probley the biggst area of headaches are the bugs when editing with software that should work.
Hope you get somthing that fits your styl
Good luck

mmka1985
03-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Also, with NAB happening next month the landscape of editing programs is bound to change so hopefully we see great updates from both FCP X and CS6.