PDA

View Full Version : Hi - New here and need advice :)

joeyxoto
02-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Hey all,

I've been into film making for a number of years and have predominately used DSLR for film making. (5d mark 2 to be precise)

I am now in a position where I have a budget of 7500... I want to buy a new camera, that shoots better than (or at least as good as) a 5d mk2/3... preferably with high frame rate shooting capabilities, interchangeable lens is nice... and all the other nuts and bolts a good pro camera should have :)

does anybody have any recommendations?

I was looking at the fs700 - but the ergonomics of it scare me, as I don't have a tripod, and probably won't have enough budget to buy a decent rig?

Any other advice/reccomendations?

Thanks all

James Carpenter
02-08-2013, 07:20 AM
you should be able to get a fs700 and a decent tripod setup for 7,500GBP.
you could go for a bmcc, http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ but won't get high frame rates, unless the fireware updates change.

did you want to stay away from dslr's?

joeyxoto
02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
you should be able to get a fs700 and a decent tripod setup for 7,500GBP.
you could go for a bmcc, http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ but won't get high frame rates, unless the fireware updates change.

did you want to stay away from dslr's?

Thanks James.

Do you have any tripod reccomendations?

I've heard the FS700 has a "video" look, so would I be getting a less filmic look with my FS700 than a 5D?

I've had a look at the Black Magic and I'm not sure on how the ergonomics would suit me. I also was hoping for a full frame sensor..

Ah I'm very stuck!

NJR Films
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Black Magic Cinema Camera?

joeyxoto
02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Black Magic Cinema Camera?

will the BMC out perform the fs700?

Curtis Mack
02-09-2013, 05:19 AM
What do you need that the 5D does not have? Do you have a specific need for a higher frame rate? If not, do you simply like slow or smoother motion? If you can't identify specific needs or wants, a new camera probably will not solve your problem. A good rule is to spend deep with lenses, and shallow with digital hardware. Any camera will be out of date in two years. Quality lenses and microphones will retain their value. It is very easy to fall into a mind trap and end up still dissatisfied, only this time with no money.
If you do have specific needs, make a list of them in priority order. Choose three cameras, and rent each one for a weekend. That should tell you everything you need to know about ergonomics, image quality, audio noise, connectors, viewfinders, and working in post. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a fast disk subsystem and state of the art workstation if you plan to shoot raw.

joeyxoto
02-09-2013, 07:09 AM
What do you need that the 5D does not have? Do you have a specific need for a higher frame rate? If not, do you simply like slow or smoother motion? If you can't identify specific needs or wants, a new camera probably will not solve your problem. A good rule is to spend deep with lenses, and shallow with digital hardware. Any camera will be out of date in two years. Quality lenses and microphones will retain their value. It is very easy to fall into a mind trap and end up still dissatisfied, only this time with no money.
If you do have specific needs, make a list of them in priority order. Choose three cameras, and rent each one for a weekend. That should tell you everything you need to know about ergonomics, image quality, audio noise, connectors, viewfinders, and working in post. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a fast disk subsystem and state of the art workstation if you plan to shoot raw.

Thanks for the response. I'm buying a camera because I don't currently own my own personal high end camera. I've always rented out whenever I've had jobs. But now I'm in a position where I can spend that amount, so just wondering what the best options were, and if there was anything better out there than getting a 5d Mark 3 - don't get me wrong, I love the 5d; great quality visuals, easy to achieve a film look etc. My need for higher frame rates is for slow motion; I do wish the 5d could shoot more than just 24/25/30/50/60.. I'm looking for very smooth slo mo - the only camera I've found is the FS700 - But I don't no if the video quality/visuals are better than the 5d? The 5d seems to have a better depth in the shots... could just be the type of footage I've seen online though.