PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, DVX and soon to be HVX user, looking for advice on DOF adapters

cdagvid
02-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi DVX forum, lots of good info here. I've been lurking for a while gleaning good info from all the experience here. Finally decided to register for full access and ability to post. I have a DVX100 and will soon be buying an HVX200 or HX170 (depends on funds), and I've read quite a bit about DOF adapters-- pros/cons. I was wondering what some opinions are on the best balance of price vs function?

Also, wondering if anyone knows what the fate was of the JAG35 DOF adapter? Lots of reviews, and talk at NAB a few years back- but now they seem impossible to find and have since been discontinued. Just curious why, and if I should avoid that model if I can ever find one on the market.

Thanks in advance!

edit:

Forgot to mention- currently employed by the DOD at an Army training Center in Louisiana, making training videos for the US Army/DOD. 14 yrs experience- started as field shooter, up through the ranks- now Sr. Avid editor/sometimes shooter.

Ted Ramasola
02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
As someone who made dof adapter myself, starting with a mid format adapter to 35mm adapter, I'd say that it's era has passed. If you haven't started to invest yet and are looking for the 35mm look, go for newer cameras in the market that allow interchangeable lens. The evolution has already been made, 35mm adapters played its role and its era "may" have already begun to pass or in fact already passed.

Look at the sony offerings, fs100 or fs700, or the canon's c100, c300, there are more out there and more to come depending on your budget, but as someone who has used 35 adapters extensively, I'd advice you to go for the bigger sensor cameras available now and avoid the hassles of assembling and adusting the rig, back focus adjustments is a pain, and now that there are options out there its not worth it to go that route.

Gary Huff
02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
If budget is an issue, I'd look into a used AF100. It's a deal that can't be beat at the moment.

cdagvid
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys for the advice- makes sense on the adapters quickly becoming obsolete with the sensor sizes and optics on the newer cameras. Would love to pick up an AF100, had no idea they were going for such low prices. Unfortunately the budget is somewhat tight and not only do I need to upgrade cameras, I also have to do some upgrading to my Avid for P2/AMA workflow. My goal however will be to jump on one of those $2k AF100s I see floating around. Cheers!