PDA

View Full Version : Antics Pre-Viz

ProjX v2.0
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Has anyone heard of Antics Pre-Viz?

It's a program that lets you do pre-visualization without breaking the bank.

Unlike Maya or any other 3D animation software, it's designed for experts and novices so anybody can use it whether you're a director, editor, writer, gaffer, whatever. No animation or drawing skills required.

For the price, $995 US, it looks like a killer application to take your productions to the next level.

There is a free 30-day trial version on the site.

Here's the link:
http://www.antics3d.com

:)

Pais
07-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Sounds interesting, but I don't know if pre-viz is really worth a significant amount of time and effort outside of visual effects and perhaps very complex productions.

I'm not saying it's not worth the time, but I'm personally not sold on it ... of course, things like storyboarding, mental previsualization (i.e. your imagination), rehearsals and the like are important, but spending a few hours pushing around virtual trees, cars, and actors instead of shooting?

For a guerilla production, it couldn't possibly be worth a thousand dollars, but if you have a larger project, maybe it could be a good alternative to storyboards to get your point across to your crew. If you try it out, let us know what you think about the software. :)

antics3d
07-03-2008, 01:49 AM
I would make a case for the benefits of storyboarding. Even a very simple pre-viz can help pitch an idea or sell a story. Pre-viz can really help your film making, especially if you're a novice, as it can throw up all kinds of issues that you might not even consider until you're on set with cameras running and actors waiting...

It's also great for working out set layouts, which shots work, which shots don't work, where actors need to be and so on, all ahead of time so less (expensive) time is spent shooting. So as well as selling the story, it can illustrate how a certain shot would be achieved. If you're pitching a script you can present a visual representation that is so much more powerful as it shows your ideas will actually work in the real world with real cameras and crew.

This video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLLnOSjc9Y&feature=PlayList&p=21F37D78B00F3659&index=14) shows the previz for a TV commercial running alongside the final real world shoot. It was done by an Antics user a while ago, in less than two weeks including time to learn the software.

Apologies for the thread necromancy, the pricing for Antics has changed a little since the OP quoted $995! You can actually get a copy of Antics for free from our site. It's called Antics BasePack, and is fully featured and not time limited in any way.

Feel free to pick my brains if you have any questions!

Gary

DoubleIt
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I hate how programs like this are never for OS X!!!!

antics3d
07-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Indeed. There has been great demand for a native OS X version of Antics, so it's something we're looking at. Realistically we're working hard on the next release of the PC version, so a release date for OS X won't be in the immediate future. You can of course get Antics running quite happily under Boot Camp.

Rubbersquare
07-08-2008, 07:52 PM
creatives=mac, drones=pc ... just saying.
show me an ad agency where the art directors got a dell, dude.

(sorry)

j1clark@ucsd.edu
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Indeed. There has been great demand for a native OS X version of Antics, so it's something we're looking at. Realistically we're working hard on the next release of the PC version, so a release date for OS X won't be in the immediate future. You can of course get Antics running quite happily under Boot Camp.

There are a couple of things I've never done... setup the Windows emulator that was available for Mac OS 9, run Mac OS 9 on Mac OS X, or set up Windows emulators under Mac OS X (or run what is essentially a dual boot of Boot Camp).

(In fact, I stopped using Mac OS 9 as soon as the original Mac OS X Server came out to developers, that was heavily rewritten for the general Mac OS X distribution...)

So, since I do have a couple of 'real'(tm) PC that actually have Windows on them, as opposed to Linux... I'll look at the package... but if you do have an early beta program for a Mac OS version, I'd volunteer as a beta tester...

Texanite
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
creatives=mac, drones=pc ... just saying.

Yeah, that clearly explains why "programs like this are never for OS X"

You believe too much of what you see on TV and read in the Mac Fanboi Monthly.