PDA

View Full Version : Newbie all around.

Kosmos21
12-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Greetings all. I am rather excited about coming here, something I have been doing for a little while before getting my DVX100B with 12 hours on the heads (or so the camera reports). I'm still fumbling through menus and actually shooting footage but I am ecstatic with the quality of the images. Real OIS. WOW! different world.

I've been taking photos since very young, and learned about many film stocks - which I used to inventory as to qualities - when barely a teenager. Then, once in college and several SLRs and one 2 1/4 format camera later, I took a film course (2 actually) with Peter Hutton. Loved shooting 16mm.

But that was literally in the last millenium.

Now, as of a week and change, I have a what looks like an almost never used DVX100b.

Slapped a Rode NTG 1 with a Canare cable with Neutrk connectors. More than I can afford but bare minimum from what Ive read.

My interest is in shooting anything and everything, but mostly observations, people, interviews and just whatever catches my eye.

I want to do a little history interview with my mother and with another person I love dearly who's 91.

So, Hi all. I hope to read a lot here, maybe write, and learn and have fun.

Thanks

David Jimerson
12-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Welcome!

Kosmos21
12-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Welcome!

Thanks

jackscoldsweat
12-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the group Kosmos. I spent a few days in NYC just recently with my camera - fantastic city. I'm jealous - there'll be so many great locations for you to shoot.

stefanhuberfilms
12-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Welcome too!

Kosmos21
12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the group Kosmos. I spent a few days in NYC just recently with my camera - fantastic city. I'm jealous - there'll be so many great locations for you to shoot.<br>
<br>Yes. Densely attractive city. Which is why movies or shows made here which don't respect geography is so bad. CSI: NYcomes to mind which, even worse than showing a character show up 30 blocks away in a few seconds, it looks like its filmed on lot in LA (mostly) - the rhythm, the sound, the light, the way the people move, the density of taxi cabs on the streets, and how they move betray that we are nowhere near NYC...<br><br>Sex and the City is (was) just the opposite. The city was not only convincingly used as a backdrop, the city really was another character in the show.<br><br>Have always loved shooting in the city - would come down from my college upstate to film (16mm) to shoot people places and things.&nbsp;<br><br>Yep... Visually dense city.&nbsp;

Kosmos21
12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Welcome too!

Thanks. Appreciate it.