PDA

View Full Version : Wedding... tips for a wedding. help

JCVR
07-18-2005, 11:23 AM
So, I've sort of been forced into filming my cousens wedding since i'm the 'filmmaker' in the family. I have never done this before and so any and all help is appreciated.

My basic plan of attack was to have a friend with an XL2 stay in the back rows and get b roll footage from there. The long shot, maybe some zoom outs. Then I would have the DVX on maybe a DVX rig pro getting the more dynamic and emotional shots. The closer shots / more obtrusive. I've already asked the bride if she wants the camera to be obtrusive or not, she very much wanted the dynamic shots - so that's not a problem.

any real advice from you professionals? camera settings? anything?

thank you so much... i love this place.

krestofre
07-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, I'm far from a wedding professional, but I've had cousins that I didn't even know existed ask me to film their weddings, so I've been in your situation. Your plan of attack sounds great. The biggest obstacle you're going to have is sound. Do you have any wireless lav mics? If so, mic the groom for good sound during the ceremony. If you have a shotgun mic, then you can try to hide it as close to the groom/bride/minister as possible. I hid a shotgun at the top of an arch once (that was fun).

The only other thing I'd add would be that for the last family member wedding I taped I grabbed a small handycam and set it up in an unused hallway at the church. Then I passed around the message to the guests that there was a camera set up for anyone to share their personal comments to the happy couple (of course I had to swap tapes every hour to keep it running). That gave me some great stuff to using during editing and give the video something a little extra.

Hopefully someone who does weddings professionally will chime in, but I hope that helps at least a little.

Chris

JCVR
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
ahhh, all lovely and excellent tips. Thanks very much.

I've never used a wireless lav before (only wired), can i still record to the DVX with it? Recording wedding audio on recorder seems a bit too complex for what it's worth.

thanks again

galt
07-18-2005, 06:53 PM
With two roving cams, how do you know you will always have the right footage? Most people set a stationary cam in back that is used for cuts between all the closeups and other shots. That one also records audio, since it rolls throughout the ceremony.

You also may want to practice matching both cams before the wedding, so you can minimize the color differences between XL2 and DVX. Remember to WB them both to same source.

krestofre
07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
can i still record to the DVX with it?

Yes. The wireless reciever will either terminate to an XLR, or you can run it to a mixer and then into the DVX. Galt has a good point about a stationary cam. You'd definintely want the audio to go into that one.

Dyrseve989
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM
My suggestion is to have two dynamic cams, sounds hard to do, and not worth the editing nightmare, but what is interesting to the people watching the video is not:
CU of groom
Cut To
medium shot
Cut To
CU bride
Cut To
medium shot
Cut To
Side angle of minister
Cut To
Medium Shot

I have covered a family memmbers wedding before also, just like you, I was the filmmaker, so hey, lets give him the job and get a good video for free. We'll true, but I felt I wouldnt be at blame since I wasent getting paid if I stayed off the beaten path, the one you seem to be on. I felt it nessecariy for me to get a little creative and daring, especially since it wasent exactly one of my clients. I had two roaming, dynamic cams(note that we are two cameramen that are experienced in live tapings) and we just made sure to get the shot that was important, stay out of each others way, and most importantly, catch the emotion as if we were making the next casablanca. I set up 2 booms(hidden) one in the direction of the priest, the other of the bride and groom - excellent audio I must add, a little frequency tweaking and it was gold. We also decided to get a little smart about our collabrative filming, since we always wanted a usable shot for editing, we used cell phone headsets and whispred our moves to each other. I told him I was going in for a close shot, he would hang back with a static side angle while I snuck into enemy lines(mother-in-laws not getting a good view because of me). Weddings are long incase you did or did not know, so understand that even though the DVX may seem light, it turns into a 100lb dead weight by the end of the ceremony, so make sure to curl some iron.

otherwise, the after party(that is if you are filming it) is preety easy, just make sure to get the best friends comments, all the tables, the food.........THE FOOD(ii dont know why, but I think my sister-in-law was most excited about my artistic shots of the food....? it's a preety easy thing, dont try to over complicated too much, and once you do it, you'll wonder why you arent in the bussiness of wedding videographer - cause damn, we got DVX's, we can do so much better then those old VHS guys still goin around charging 1k a wedding.

-Matt-

PS - just as a back up, for the camera you would like to have friends of the newly weds talk to them through, bring a wired mic, NO BOOM, for some reason, people feel better knowing they have the mic in there hand, and plus it gives you the ability to have the voice over the part BG noise

galt
07-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey Matt, good stuff !! But it is wedding 301 IMHO, for EXPERIENCED cameramen who have wireless communications that have been pre-tested. Preset cam on wide saves the day for newbies when you get "Oh Jeeez I have been taping my shoes and missing the closeups" mistake. Or about 1000 others, including both moving together, one moving while the other is changing tape, both running out of tape at the same time, etc.

I would want an idiot proof plan to make it a little harder to screw up.

My wireless mic of choice is Sennheiser G2-100ENG system, about $550. Spending more or less can also find good values. This system also gives you a wireless butt plug to convert your shotgun into roving interview mic if you want to do interviews.

Dyrseve989
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Galt, I agree, just figured I'd give JVCR a jump into a different approach so he can maybe make a good combination or change with his approach, I also agree with wireless, It's alot less flattering with wires running every which way and boom mics positioned just right, and much much better with a wireless system, better audio too. I suggest integrating methods, and try adding a thrid camera to the mix if you are a newbien in the art of documentary. You will, as Galt brought up, have a back up shot if you screw up with bad shots or tape changes, but you will have something a little bit more interesting then static->dynamic->static->dynamic

Good Luck

-Matt-

JCVR
07-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Ohhh, thank you all so much. I'll post back here after the 29th and tell you all how it goes. Seriously though - thanks a ton.

I'll need to talk to my other camera man before i decide which method to use. We'll see...