PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bullet Denoiser II time remapping issue

PeteStreet
12-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey all,

I downloaded the trial version of Magic Bullet Denoiser II, and I really like it. In fact, I'm this close to buying it.

The only issue I have with it is that, with a test clip, if I set the speed of the clip to faster than 100%, then some janky things start happening to that particular clip. Some frames will only show the blue channel, some frames go upside down, some frames turn grayscale, etc (if you'd like me to upload an example video, just let me know and I'd be happy to). None of these issues are present when I slow the clip down, however.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't want to buy the full software if it's going to glitch out every time I play with the clip speed. I would really appreciate any help.

bgodoy
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
There are several things you can do to get this to work. Preferably, I would suggest speeding the clip up first—either in AE or in another piece of software. I usually find that if you speed things up (or even slow things down) in another application and then import them as a "new clip", AE will have an easier time applying effects. The more work you can do for AE the better, especially when it comes to render-intensive effects like Denoiser. Once everything is retimed, you can then apply Denoiser as you would on a regular clip.

If you prefer to stay in AE, your going to have to speed the clip up first, then precomp it. Apply Denoiser after the fact. Although this method will save you from having to go between apps for every clip you want retimed, AE might have trouble processing everything while you work. So in the long run, it could cost you (depending on how many effects you have and how many clips you need adjusted).

In my opinion, Denoiser is definitely worth the purchase either way. I've used it on so many projects it's not even funny. One thing worth mentioning though, is to try and keep your settings low. For one, subtlety looks better when it comes to this effect. Secondly, if your having to pump the intensity all the way up, you probably shouldn't be using that particular clip anyway. Low settings will help AE run a lot smoother and applying other effects shouldn't be too much of a problem. Remember, when the effects get a little heavy, precomps and "new (lossless) clips" are always your friends.

Hope this helps.
-B

PeteStreet
12-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm actually running the plugin inside of Premiere Pro (not a big fan of the workflow between Premiere and AE). Are you saying that I would have to use the plugin exclusively inside of AE, or is there another workaround for Premiere?

bgodoy
12-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Either way it shouldn't matter where you choose to do the bulk of work, but personally, I would would retime my clip in Premiere and then send it to AE. AE handles effects better. Applying heavy effects in Premiere is like editing video in AE. Yes, it can be done but every program has it's strengths and it's weaknesses.

If you do decide to use AE:
Once you apply Denoiser, I would render out a lossless clip and send it back to Premiere. This will ensure you maintain the highest quality possible. It may seem like a pain at first but it sure beats wasting time in Premiere if you aren't getting the results your looking for.
-B

arco1
12-06-2012, 05:05 AM
You didn't ask for advice in this area: Magic Bullet is an excellent product, but nothing I have used seems to do a better job for noise reduction than Neat Video. You may want to try the free demo before committing to Magic Bullet.

Jim

PeteStreet
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
You didn't ask for advice in this area: Magic Bullet is an excellent product, but nothing I have used seems to do a better job for noise reduction than Neat Video. You may want to try the free demo before committing to Magic Bullet.

Thanks for the advice, Jim. Unfortunately, I downloaded the demo of neatvideo and tried running it, but it ended up making my footage look way worse than even the original source footage. So I ended up purchasing Red Giant's denoiser. Here's to hoping that I won't have many of the time-ramping issues in the future!

davidp158
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Late to this party, but I have some questions about Magic Bullet Denoiser II. I occasionally use it with CS6 Premiere Pro. I would like to know what settings have the biggest impact on render time? Of the times I've used it, render times have been 4 to 5 times longer with Denoiser. I will try bgodoy's recommendation to pre-prender the footage first, and also compare the performance difference with After Effect. Any suggestions on how to speed up render time would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Dave