PDA

View Full Version : Which AMD Processor Do You Have? Do You like it?

prexdealer
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi,

I am working on a budget build editing machine. I am mainly gonna use it for shorts. Can't see myself editing a feature. I am leaning toward Sony 12 Suite now that it is 64 bit. But I have read it is giving people some headaches.

I am focusing on AMD because of a good sale going on near me and from what I have read cores are helpful for rendering.

Would you please comment on the following:
1) Your AMD PC (CPU, RAM and GPU - and anything else you wish to share)
2) Which editing software you run (name and version)
3) Are you happy with your setup?

I have spent tons of hours on Tom's Hardware, Newegg, Tigerdirect. The problem I am having is trying to figure out will I be happier getting the next better AMD cpu or is what I am looking at perfectly good. Seems the more I read the more complicated it gets! Jut trying to find a sweet spot, so I figured if people would be kind enough to comment on what they have and if they are happy with it - I might starting getting a sense of what combination does the job.

Thanks for your time.

drapeama
11-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Bought a Phenom II x4 965 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727) for like 110$ shipped a couple months ago. Really worth it. Only negative: the CPU fans is noisy. Performances are day-and-night compared to my older dual-core.

It really helps when encoding (via DebugMode FrameServer) out of Sony Vegas. I don't like Sony AVC or MainConcept engines. I prefer to rely on other softwares, like MeGui for x264 and HCencoder for Mpeg2 streams.

Amr Rahmy
11-29-2012, 03:35 AM
i think the phenom II X4 are quite old now, they have been around for quite some years(ages in computer years). the new processors are AMD FX, with AM3+ sockets. so at least get a newer motherboard that would accept AM3+ processors and have stata 6Gb and USB3.

prexdealer
11-29-2012, 08:35 AM
i think the phenom II X4 are quite old now, they have been around for quite some years(ages in computer years). the new processors are AMD FX, with AM3+ sockets. so at least get a newer motherboard that would accept AM3+ processors and have stata 6Gb and USB3.

I have been debating with myself on this issue. I am just not sure how much power I need. The amount of hours spent reading, I could have gotten a job at Pizza Hut and just bought the best everything lol (kidding sort of).

I was thinking of getting a strong, flexible for expansion mother board and a Phenom or FX 4100. Right now I am just gearing up to shoot and edit 5 min short, so I am just not sure how that will take to render etc, which I know is dependent on CPU power. Any suggestions on amount of RAM? It is cheap these days from what I understand.

Many thanks to both of you for your input.

prexdealer
11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Bought a Phenom II x4 965 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727) for like 110$ shipped a couple months ago. Really worth it. Only negative: the CPU fans is noisy. Performances are day-and-night compared to my older dual-core.

It really helps when encoding (via DebugMode FrameServer) out of Sony Vegas. I don't like Sony AVC or MainConcept engines. I prefer to rely on other softwares, like MeGui for x264 and HCencoder for Mpeg2 streams.

Thanks so much! May I ask how long it takes to render something? If you don't mind, maybe you could fill in with "I edited a X min short and it took X time to render."

Still learning all the lingo. Good tip on the fan noise.

Thanks!

Amr Rahmy
11-29-2012, 10:47 AM
if it's a video file, and your not talking about something made in a 3d application, video does not take that much to render, it will take you more time to edit than the program to render, so what if it took all night while your sleeping to render the footage?

now 3d modeling and rendering is an entirely different story where a frame takes hours or days to render(sometimes a layer inside a frame takes days to render), but video is usually calculated in frames per second, so you don't have to sweat the render performance. as long as your happy with the stability and performance of the NLE while your editing and color grading, that's all that matters.

prexdealer
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
if it's a video file, and your not talking about something made in a 3d application, video does not take that much to render, it will take you more time to edit than the program to render, so what if it took all night while your sleeping to render the footage?

now 3d modeling and rendering is an entirely different story where a frame takes hours or days to render(sometimes a layer inside a frame takes days to render), but video is usually calculated in frames per second, so you don't have to sweat the render performance. as long as your happy with the stability and performance of the NLE while your editing and color grading, that's all that matters.

Oh thanks! Ya no special 3d stuff or any complicated visuals. I just want to shoot something and edit it. My question is what AMD processor will allow me to work with Sony Vegas 12 smoothly while editing and not have a ton of choppiness while editing. I don't do this for a living so I can start the outputting (not the right word I am sure) and as you said go to sleep, etc. I just don't wanna struggle with editing process. Thanks!

Amr Rahmy
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
just a p.s.: some applications require mid range to high end nvidia cards, at least gaming cards to function.

get one of the newer processors instead of the phenom II
get 8 or 16GB DDR3 RAM(if it's just for vegas, vegas 11 worked on a 4GB laptop), make sure you fill the motherboard slots evenly(there are usually 2 channels).
get a small SSD for the operating system connected to a sata 3 connection (128GB, 256GB get sandisk, samsumg or intel)
get one or 2 hard drives for the footage and backup of the footage, maybe a 2/3/4 TB harddrive connected through USB3(western digital or seagate 7200rpm sata3)
get a motherboard with USB3 and stata 6Gbps
get a USB3 harddrive dock or external enclosure

Amr Rahmy
11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
you will see a big stability difference with a good cooling solution for both the processor and GPU.

drapeama
11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
If you don't mind, maybe you could fill in with "I edited a X min short and it took X time to render."
Hum, I'll double check in the logs when I'll get back at home, but as far as I remember, it was encoding at least in real-time (around 24-25fps).

prexdealer
11-29-2012, 03:59 PM
just a p.s.: some applications require mid range to high end nvidia cards, at least gaming cards to function.

get one of the newer processors instead of the phenom II
get 8 or 16GB DDR3 RAM(if it's just for vegas, vegas 11 worked on a 4GB laptop), make sure you fill the motherboard slots evenly(there are usually 2 channels).
get a small SSD for the operating system connected to a sata 3 connection (128GB, 256GB get sandisk, samsumg or intel)
get one or 2 hard drives for the footage and backup of the footage, maybe a 2/3/4 TB harddrive connected through USB3(western digital or seagate 7200rpm sata3)
get a motherboard with USB3 and stata 6Gbps
get a USB3 harddrive dock or external enclosure

Thanks so much! Will I be ok with an FX 4100, or do I need to get to an FX 6300 or even a FX 8350? Just looking for decent system that won't wreck the budget. I am big value buyer. I like to buy like a 7 quality (on a 10 pt scale) for a 3 price, instead of paying top dollar for top gear. I hope that makes sense.

Most of all, I just appreciate the input. Thanks so much for your time!

Amr Rahmy
11-29-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4100+Quad-Core

the fx-4100 is about the same or a touch slower than the phenom II x4 on that chart, on level with 1st gen intel core i3, i can tell you vegas 11 works with core i3 with less compressed and sd footage, a heavily compressed or cpu intensive codec like avchd or h.264, you need to do an offline/online workflow or just trans-code everything to dnxhd.

the other two seems quite a bit better.