PDA

View Full Version : searching for the latest news

caldwell
07-15-2005, 03:26 PM
i know that this is repeat... but the last post on the subject is stale..
it is now mid July and i have heard july 23rd from dealers in Canada... but no guarentees. I have shoots upcoming and need to make a decision pronto..
would love help thanks

mezelf27
07-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Wel mine (in Europe) has just been confirmed for the last week of july... just ask, I guess. I have to admit. I get mine so early because I'm in the first shipment. If you haven't done any pre-order yet, you probably won't have it by then!

Barry_Green
07-16-2005, 01:56 PM
This is all quite interesting, because US dealers are being told "September", and JVC's US site has already updated itself to say "August".

Needless to say, we're all quite curious as to how this will play out!

author
07-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Ummm... interesting (in this case, confusing) indeed.

It was raining like crazy here in North Carolina (stuff from Dennis) the other day. Naturally, the post office decides to deliver my JVC HDV100 color brochure at that time. Musta been on TOP of the carriers' pick-em-up truck (we're on a rural route) because it was soaked. Had to dry it out, paper towels between pages to soak up water, for a couple days before reading it. NICE cam, hope it's not as wrinkled as the pics in the brochure ... just wish JVC would give us a definite delivery date. But I am leaning toward buying one.

NOW, if the mailman brings my copy of the new Harry Potter wet, not even he who must not be named will save him. ;-)

--Ralph

P.S. At LEAST JVC buys nice brochures, the ink did not run.

athouguia
07-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Author, I hope you won't receive your HD100 by mail...

author
07-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Author, I hope you won't receive your HD100 by mail...

Me, too! I always insist on Fed Ex or UPS for important stuff. ;-)

--Ralph

Rocketeer
07-18-2005, 08:36 PM
The Australian and New Zealand shipments of the cameras have sold out so if you didn't pre-order, no camera to the next shipment.

SMPTE (scaled back Australasian version of NAB)is happening in Sydney this week. JVC Australia is launching the GY-HD100 there. Whether this is just another semi-working pre-production model show ala NAB, or factory models I don't know.

Our rep has promised to try and bring back our camera with him so maybe we'll have one come July 25th!

We were offered a pre-production model for a booking we had but decided against it as our client was going offshore and didn't feel a factory prototype was a great idea to take to the islands.

athouguia
07-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Just received this mail from PBS, located in France:

... however, the JVC GY-HD100/101 is still not available yet. First delivery is forecasted at the end of the month but all units have already been pre sold.

The next delivery is scheduled for middle of august or beginning of September but still need to be confirmed.

I would advise to place a reservation on the next available supply if you intend to get the camcorder ASAP^. Only few units are provided on the European market at that time and the demand is higher than the offer. If you would like to place a reservation we will send you a pro forma invoice for the goods and ask you to pay a 20% deposit via bank transfer.

mezelf27
07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
uh-huh indeed, if you didn't make a pre-order, you'll have to wait at least a month (here in Europe, al least). The delivery to the american market seems to be scheduled about the same time as the second shipment here....

Aaron Koolen
07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Any idea how much these things are in NZ and Aussie?

Aaron

The Australian and New Zealand shipments of the cameras have sold out so if you didn't pre-order, no camera to the next shipment.

SMPTE (scaled back Australasian version of NAB)is happening in Sydney this week. JVC Australia is launching the GY-HD100 there. Whether this is just another semi-working pre-production model show ala NAB, or factory models I don't know.

Our rep has promised to try and bring back our camera with him so maybe we'll have one come July 25th!

We were offered a pre-production model for a booking we had but decided against it as our client was going offshore and didn't feel a factory prototype was a great idea to take to the islands.

Barry_Green
07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Someone forwarded me a JVC NZ/Australia newsletter. According to them, it's supposed to leave the factory for Australia/NZ on July 23! So our Aus/NZ members could see cameras as early as August 1st, which is at least a month sooner than we'll likely be seeing them here in the US!

Aaron Koolen
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Hmm, I wonder what the price is. I better start ringing around.

Aaron

Alex Weltlinger
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Aussie price about 9500AUD and going down (it seems).

There is currently a feature been shot with the 2 HD101e's in Queensland (East Coast Australia). I saw some footage from it, yesterday at SMPTE (30p), this is one good camera. I initially thought that the footage had ben filtered. However, I'm not sure if those cameras are full production models.

The first shipments apparently will arrive in 2 weeks, so it should be interesting to see what people think....

Aaron Koolen
07-19-2005, 09:37 PM
OK, not too bad - considering what it is. People using them for features just freaks me out :) I mean the concept of HDV and interframe compression is horrendous, and I'd hate to shoot something like a feature, and get your footage home and cry because of the artifacts. News etc not much of a problem. So I'm really interested to see how they fair.

That said, 5K for a DVX or 10K for that camera...Don't think I have much choice really

Aaron

stephenlnoe
07-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Aza,

I wrote this in another thread but you may want to make some real judgements for yourself (if you haven't already). In our 48Hour Film Project competition (here in Chicago) the HDV entries were amazing. It does not surprise me at all that some features are made using it. No artifacts.

mmm
07-20-2005, 02:49 AM
Didn't you say that was 1080i footage as well stephenlnoe? 720p ProHD should be even better for artifacts and the resolution drop shouldn't be too bad.

On paper HDV and proHD may seem flawed, but if they deliver on the big screen, who cares...?

stephenlnoe
07-20-2005, 07:06 AM
mmm,

EXACTLY! If it looks great, it is great. JVC (and others) have solid R&D departments. They won't lay an egg.

I believe it was 1080i, but couldn't swear to it unless I talked to their editor.

The number of FX1/Z1 users have grown exponentially on the Edition forum. Some are editing content for PBS and other television in HDV. I like it. I like the idea of the HVX200, but the HDV cams are out now, and they are pulling their weight better than I expected (and much cheaper to boot!).

Aaron Koolen
07-20-2005, 02:29 PM
stephenlnoe, I hear yah. It's seeing it that will show us how good it is. Can't wait to see this JVC.

Aaron