PDA

View Full Version : Babywearing Documentary/Introduction

Quillen
07-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi there,

I wanted to post a quick introduction and let you know I'll be lurking here. I have already started reading back posts, as I have many questions that someone likely already addressed.

My name is Quillen and I am a Mother of two (20 month old and 2.5 month old). My husband uses a Panasonic DVX-100A, AVID, and other useful film making equipment. I am currently gathering footage to do a babywearing documentary, as I want to give something back to the babywearing community. I am very lucky to have many friends and aquantances who support my goal. I am so thankful and impressed with their help, I really want to do this project justice. Realistically, I know very little about this style of film making, which is part of the reason I will be reading and posting here.

Best wishes,
Quillen

wabbit
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Welcome Quillen, hope you get lots of info to help you in your documentary.

One question, what is babywearing? I have never heard that word and did a google. Is it the wearing of baby's in sling, or is that too simple?

Best of luck in your project,

Quillen
07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
One question, what is babywearing? I have never heard that word and did a google. Is it the wearing of baby's in sling, or is that too simple?

Best of luck in your project,

Yes, babywearing is wearing a baby in a sling or many other kinds of carriers that are in today's market. My favorite site to recommend is www.thebabywearer.com, where almost all the women's collection dwarf mine at almost 20. Another site, www.mamatoto.org, doesn't require a log in password for their site. I hope to reference both in the documentary.

I will need more than luck, but I very much appreciate the thought :) .

Barry_S
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey Quillen--

I highly recommend Barry Hampe's documentary filmmaking book to all documentary filmmakers. It's cheap and full of helpful advice.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805044515/qid=1121286560/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4246534-2883354?v=glance&s=books

Count me as another one that didn't even know there was a "baby-wearing community". It's my kids that usually wear me--out. :)

Quillen
07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I am told that the community has really taken form since 1993 or so, but its something I've gotten into purely out of need and love for my children. My husband has a hard time making it through the grocery store without someone asking me where I got my carrier at. I assume that my child sleeping comfortably is a good advertisement and there is a lot of room for growth.

Thank you so very much for the book recommendation, Hampe's book looks fantastic. Would "Writing, Directing, and Producing Documentary Films and Videos" by Alan Rosenthal and "Directing the Documentary" by Michael Rabiger, also, meet my education needs? I have been reading my husband's books, but they are not specifically for documentaries. For example, I've just finished a "film directing: shot by shot" by Katz and am reading "In the Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch currently.

XCheck
07-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Would "Writing, Directing, and Producing Documentary Films and Videos" by Alan Rosenthal and "Directing the Documentary" by Michael Rabiger, also, meet my education needs?I've got the Rabiger book - it's excellent. That one and Hampe's should be all you need to get started. Some material is repeated in both, but they also complement each other. Rabiger's is probably more 'traditional'.

krestofre
07-13-2005, 02:29 PM
and am reading "In the Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch currently

That's where my Murch book went. :laugh:

It's kind of weird talking to my wife on DVXuser.com. :undecided

Chris

Quillen
07-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Some material is repeated in both, but they also complement each other. Rabiger's is probably more 'traditional'.

Thanks, the material that overlaps will just drill it into my brain more, since I have more of a computer graphics background.

That's where my Murch book went. :laugh:

It's kind of weird talking to my wife on DVXuser.com. :undecided

Chris

The Murch book is great, thanks for purchasing it. :thumbsup: See you soon.

pmark23
07-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Wow. I think that's the fastest a post of mine got deleted. :)

Barry, you're responsible for my post. I mean, scroll up and look at your sig!

pmark23
07-13-2005, 11:14 PM
If you're thinking of making a SIV (Special Interest Video), there's a bunch of really-good tutorials at http://www.dvuser.co.uk/Main%20pages/features.html .

It's a Brit site, so remember to read it with an accent.

Barry_S
07-14-2005, 06:31 AM
:) Every forum is *not* the Cafe. Plus, she's brand new to the forum and a wife of one our members--so maybe we can go slow here. If she does visit the Cafe, you can give her your spin on babywearing.

Wow. I think that's the fastest a post of mine got deleted. :)

Barry, you're responsible for my post. I mean, scroll up and look at your sig!

pmark23
07-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I understand Barry, and it's no sweat -- I got a million of 'em in me. And it was pretty edgy.

But you gotta admit it was funny. You spit coffee (or milk -- I assume it was night over there) out of your nose, or choked on a cookie or something. Admit it! :)

Quillen
07-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I highly recommend Barry Hampe's documentary filmmaking book......

This is a fantastic book, not that I have gotten past the first 100 pages with a neighbor who interupted naptime. Rabiger book had to be ordered, but it looks good.

It's a Brit site, so remember to read it with an accent.
Every accent I attempt sounds southern, but luckily Chris has a great British accent.

Barry_Hampe
07-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I wrote the book specifically thinking about people making their first documentary. Good luck with your project, Quillen.

Barry Hampe

Barry_S
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Barry Hampe? Wow, welcome to the forum and DVXuser. I recommend your book to a lot of people because it's clearly written and covers a lot of documentary filmmaking and structural issues that seem self-evident *after* reading your book, but that sometimes aren't even considered. It's amazing how many filmmakers think a documentary can consist of nothing but talking heads. I see you're writing a new edition, that's good news. It's bitter medicine, but I hope you'll include an extensive chapter on clearances--something that's gotten completely out of hand due to sheer greed.

Jarred Land
07-27-2005, 05:22 PM
oh great.. another Famous Barry to add to the forum. You guys are taking over the world :)

Heh heh.. just kidding around, welcome about Barry.

MattC
07-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Well how do you like that? I JUST returned from Borders where I purchased Mr. Hampe's book!

Looking forward to getting into it tonight!

Matt

Moonwind
07-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow! I have the book, too, and since we are in the middle of making our first documentary it is already dog-eared, pasted, and taped! Thank you Mr. Hempe!

Barry_Hampe
07-28-2005, 06:11 AM
What a reception! Thank you. If it's not against the rules, I'd be glad to hear from any of you with any sugggestions for the revision of "Making Documentaries." I'm just writing the proposal now. I can be reached by e-mail from here (I think) or through my web sites.

www.makingdocumentaryfilms.com

www.barryhampe.com

Thanks,
Barry

Quillen
07-28-2005, 12:18 PM
I am very honored that you would reply to my thread, Mr Hampe. It has answered so many of my questions and given me a direction to plan towards. The prospect of making a documentary is huge and your book will help make my final product more of everything it needs to be.

If I think of anything I would like to see added, I'll mention it. I have really enjoyed the book and it covers many of my needs. As I learn more about making documentaries, it will need a fifth or tenth read through :) .