PDA

View Full Version : Interlaced lines on 720p hdtv footage edited in premiere pro cs5

Steve2012
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
It's been a while since I have posted on here and I am confused as to what is causing this problem.

Shot footage DVX100B 24P
Edited Premiere CS5.5 DV NTSC 29.97 timeline
exported to encore - build DVD - burn and no issues in preview.

The interlacing lines only show up where new clips connect together (ie: editing clips together at the cut line). all the other footage shows no interlacing.

There is no indication of this in the Sony CRT broadcast editing monitor or on the computer screen. The DVD also does not show the interlacing on a old style CRT TV set. But when I play it on a 720P HDTV they show up.

I have tried field options on all the clips for deinterlacing and I'm not sure what else can be done.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PC Q6600 2.4GHZ
6GB RAM
Win 7 Pro

David Jimerson
10-20-2012, 01:44 PM
It's because you made it interlaced by cutting as 29.97 and making a 29.97 DVD. It won't show on an interlaced screen like a CRT TV because it's interlaced, too. The broadcast monitor may be interlaced as well.

You should edit it on an NTSC-24p sequence and create a 24p DVD with Encore. Then you won't have any interlacing.

It's not possible to "fix" it any other way. You don't want to try to "deinterlace" the footage, because you'll make a bigger mess of it.

Steve2012
10-20-2012, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=
You should edit it on an NTSC-24p sequence and create a 24p DVD with Encore. Then you won't have any interlacing
[/QUOTE]

So can I export what I have to AVI file then import back into a 24p timeline?

Or do I have to recapture all of the footage in a 24p timeline?

Also, I thought in order to edit on a 24p timeline, the footage had to be shot on the DVX as 24pA?

Thank you for your help.

Steve

David Jimerson
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM
So can I export what I have to AVI file then import back into a 24p timeline?

No, you won't be able to do that. Well, you CAN, but it won't take you back to actual 24p, so it won't help with this at all. You have to go back to the start of the edit.

Something like using "Interpret as . . . " 23.976 won't work either. To do this correctly, you need to start with your actual, original 24p footage in a 24p sequence.

You can try to copy the footage from your current sequence into a 24p sequence, but you'll probably have to adjust every cut. This is probably better than starting from complete scratch.

Also, I thought in order to edit on a 24p timeline, the footage had to be shot on the DVX as 24pA?

Not so in Premiere Pro and some other NLEs. Is true of FCP.

David Jimerson
10-20-2012, 02:26 PM
To be clear, because you edited on a 29.97 timeline, your cuts may not, and in many cases certainly WILL not, line up properly with the original 24p frames. No matter what you do with the cut you have at present, there will still be moments of interlacing. The ONLY way to ensure that you have no interlacing is to cut to the original 24p footage on a 24p timeline and export as 24p (or open the sequence in Encore). 29.97 cannot enter into the equation at any point.

Steve2012
10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Thnx Dave,

I'll give it a try.

Steve

UPDATE: Copied edit into 24p timeline then recut the edits by one frame - imported into Encore - burned the DVD - all worked like a charm! No more interlaced frames.

Thanks again Dave !!

David Jimerson
10-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Glad it worked out!