PDA

View Full Version : WIll After Effects CS5 projects be compatible with CS6?

RupertPupkin
10-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Hello all,

I'm currently taking an after effects class and we are working on a clean plate project. In the labs we have access to, the computers are all running AE6, however, I don't have the time to make it to the labs all of the time and I have AE5 on my computer. If I have the project file and all of the media from my computer, will I be able to link it up with the computers in the labs?

Thanks.

P13
10-17-2012, 03:05 PM
You can export as a Final Cut XML if need be to transfer between the versions or AE and Premiere if all else fails.

RupertPupkin
10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Okay, I haven't dealt with XML's too much, could you perhaps elaborate a little?

bgodoy
10-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't deal with xml often so I wouldn't be an expert in this area. However, you shouldn't have any issues opening your cs5 files with cs6. The only catch is that a dialog box will pop up, informing you that this file was created with an earlier version of AE. All you have to do is press OK and resave your file in a cs6 format. Other than that, everything should work just fine considering all your assets are in order.

Hope this helps.
-B

P13
10-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Okay, I haven't dealt with XML's too much, could you perhaps elaborate a little?It's the same principle as transferring between older versions of Plural Eyes and Premiere or Final Cut and Premiere, see this for an example of using XML import/export between video programs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu9_kdl6EIE

stefanhuberfilms
10-17-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't deal with xml often so I wouldn't be an expert in this area. However, you shouldn't have any issues opening your cs5 files with cs6. The only catch is that a dialog box will pop up, informing you that this file was created with an earlier version of AE. All you have to do is press OK and resave your file in a cs6 format. Other than that, everything should work just fine considering all your assets are in order.

Hope this helps.
-B
seconded, the only issue you will have will be a not available backwards compatibility from CS6 to CS5...

RupertPupkin
10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Okay awesome, thanks for all the help guys.