PDA

View Full Version : New GoProHD3

GavinAbe
10-17-2012, 12:25 AM
The Wi-Fi enabled HERO3: Black Edition is the most advanced GoPro, ever. No expense was spared during its development, resulting in a GoPro that is 30% smaller, 25% lighter and 2x more powerful than previous models. Wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197' (60m), capable of capturing ultra-wide 1440p 48fps, 1080p 60 fps and 720p 120 fps video and 12MP photos at a rate of 30 photos per second, the HERO3: Black Edition is the world's most versatile camera. Built-in Wi-Fi, GoPro App compatibility and the included Wi-Fi Remote (normally a separate $79.99 accessory) make the HERO3: Black Edition all the more versatile, still.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition/#description

OPTICS

Ultra sharp â/2.8 6-element aspherical glass lens
Ultra wide angle / reduced distortion
2X Better low-light performance*

VIDEO (NTSC/PAL)

Video Resolution
NTSC fps
PAL fps
STD Mode
Protune Mode
Field of View (FOV)
Screen Resolution/ Aspect Ratio

15 fps
12.5 fps
NO
ONLY in Protune
Ultra Wide
3840x2160 16:9

4K Cin
12 fps
12 fps
NO
ONLY in Protune
Ultra Wide
4096x2160 17:9

30 fps
25 fps
YES*
YES
Ultra Wide
2716x1524 16:9

2.7K Cin
24 fps
24 fps
YES*
YES
Ultra Wide
2716x1440 17:9

1080p
60, 48, 30, 24 fps
50, 48, 25, 24 fps
YES
YES
Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow
1920x1080 16:9

1440p
48, 30, 24 fps
48, 25, 24 fps
YES
YES
Ultra Wide
1920x1440 4:3

960p
100, 48 fps
100, 48 fps
YES
YES
Ultra Wide
1280x960 4:3

720p
120, 60 fps
100, 50 fps
YES
YES
Ultra Wide, Narrow*
1280x720 16:9

WVGA
240 fps
240 fps
YES
NO
Ultra Wide
848x480 16:9

Note: *May require a firmware update on camera

Video format: H.264 codec, .mp4 file format
White Balance: auto and manual

PHOTO MODES

12, 7, 5MP resolutions
Burst: 30 photos per second
Continuous Photo: 3 photos per second, 5 photos per second, 10 photos per second
Time-lapse: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals
Simultaneous Photo + Video:

12MP + 1440p24 fps
8MP + 1080p30 fps 8
8MP + 720p60 fps

BATTERY & CHARGING

1050mAh rechargeable lithium-ion
Charge via USB

AUDIO

Mono, 48kHz, AAC compression w/ AGC
Supports optional 3.5mm stereo mic adapter **

STORAGE

Memory:

MicroSD class 10 or higher required
Up to 64GB capacity supported

Record times will vary with resolutions and frame rates

INCLUDED CABLES

USB charging cable

OPERATING SYSTEM

Microsoft Windows« Vista, 7 and later

*Compared to HD HERO2 and HERO3 White and Silver Edition Cameras

kicap
10-17-2012, 04:17 AM
when is the unit going to be made available?

LiamR
10-17-2012, 04:37 AM
when is the unit going to be made available?

I've heard 1 week, I also hope they'll open shipping to australia.

Donald Ong
10-17-2012, 04:43 AM
2.7k ?!

Is it true 2.7k? If it is..wow!

ikander
10-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Impressive specs for such a small camera! Well done GoPro!

MikeFunktastic
10-17-2012, 05:28 AM
I was so excited when I read the headline this morning, and even more so now that I've read the specs. Will wait to see reels but wow, I hope the image lives up to the specs!

kicap
10-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Pre-ordered it and can't wait to break this shit and replace the lens with something else if it is really 2k or 4k according to the specs for the Black Edition.

LiamR
10-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Pre-ordered it and can't wait to break this s*%t and replace the lens with something else if it is really 2k or 4k according to the specs for the Black Edition.

Uh, what?

MikeFunktastic
10-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Pre-ordered it and can't wait to break this s*%t and replace the lens with something else if it is really 2k or 4k according to the specs for the Black Edition.

Um, I highly doubt you can replace the lens with anything third-party. Unless you're godlike at DIY.

kurth
10-17-2012, 06:15 AM
well 4k at $400 sure whops the ding out of 3k for 3 grand !! This is quite frankly ....amazing. And yes, this camera , if it has the resolution.... will be lenshacked !

LiamR
10-17-2012, 06:18 AM
people are getting majorly confused by this whole 4k thing (not directed to anyone in this thread, just in general), well done on the marketing GoPro, even though it's insanely obvious in the spec sheet.

kurth
10-17-2012, 06:37 AM
people are getting majorly confused by this whole 4k thing (not directed to anyone in this thread, just in general), well done on the marketing GoPro, even though it's insanely obvious in the spec sheet.

..what's to be confused ? The specs state it shoots 4k at 12fps ...and it shoots 2.7k at 24fps as well as 1080p at 60fps. Plus it's simultaneous video and still performance is amazing ....as far as the specs...which is all we have to go by to date. So I don't get what's "insanely obvious in the specsheet part" ?

The whole question will be how the protunes codec holds up . And worth mentioning are the 3 fov's available in 1080p mode. Now what this camera needs is some accessory lenses.

LiamR
10-17-2012, 06:49 AM
..what's to be confused ? The specs state it shoots 4k at 12fps ...and it shoots 2.7k at 24fps as well as 1080p at 60fps. Plus it's simultaneous video and still performance is amazing ....as far as the specs...which is all we have to go by to date. So I don't get what's "insanely obvious in the specsheet part" ?

I was talking in general, I've been reading posts all night from people who think the 4k feature will shoot like 24fps, etc... they are getting confused with the fact it won't be able to 'film' so to speak in 4k mode.

NorBro
10-17-2012, 06:49 AM
He just means that because it's 2-4k, it doesn't mean it's going to look like one of the RED cams..look at the JVC HMQ10...it's 4k and it has major flaws..

Now, consumers will hear here the word "k" in the resolution specs and they want it.

Just like how people wanted HDTVs 5 years ago...they didn't know why, but they heard High Definition and needed it..

refocusedmedia
10-17-2012, 07:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U

homestar_kevin
10-17-2012, 08:18 AM
so awesome. Will be buying

Hidef1080
10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
I want one of these for some RC flights...

Kholi
10-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Hero 3 Black ships November 14th it looks like, but the other models are in a week.

Pre-ordering. Will probably keep the Hero 2 as well.

GioCanales
10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
A must have toy, but with those specs. I shouldn't consider it a toy anymore.

LiamR
10-17-2012, 08:50 AM
A must have toy, but with those specs. I wouldn't consider it a toy anymore.

Not sure it was ever a toy considering both the HD1 & 2's useage on live tv events. Red Bull being one of the biggest ambassadors.

refocusedmedia
10-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Quick visual comparison from Filmtools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65cPpeqdL0

kurth
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone know anything about the sensor , such as size , manufacturer , etc ?

stefancolson
10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Whoever they have putting those reels together is earning that paycheck! Some of the best promo footage around. Canon could definitely take a page from GoPro's book when it comes to sample footage.

ErikTande
10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
120FPS? Sign me up.

Mark Williams
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Canon, Panasonic and Sony could all learn from the GoPro promo video. They all got "taken to school" on this one. Just downloaded and viewed a higher quality version. Whoever shot and edited the promo did one heck of a fantastic job.

noworries
10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Updating the firmware on the wifi product is a PITA. I bought the wifi bac pac when the app was vaporware... I couldn't get the bacpac or remote to update until I loaded the OSX version on my hackintosh. Now, 4 months later, I try it again on my PC, and the damn thing says I have to register my device before it will update, and when I click on register it says "it's already registered"

So they want to track who buys their products more than provide updates. I'm mostly a hobbyist, I'm an IT guy by trade, and this thing is crap.

I finally got my bacpac to update doing a dance of unplugging and plugging in USB ports in the right order... but still can't get the remote to update... and now when I plug the bacpac into my hero2 it locks up.

So I guess I'll try my hackintosh tomorrow, and if that doesn't work see what kind of pain and suffering I will have to endure to get somebody at GoPro to fix it... but you might seriously consider waiting until they get the bugs worked out. I definately feel like I'm beta testing their product and paying for the privledge.

JoeJITSU
10-17-2012, 10:13 PM
No Stabilization!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Might have to stick with the Sony Action cam after all.

Jason Davenport
10-17-2012, 10:48 PM
+1 Very sharp jello cam.

Kolor-Pikker
10-18-2012, 12:39 AM
No Stabilization!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Ah-ha! I knew there had to be a catch somewhere, somehow it didn't cross my mind at first, but I'd gladly pay a $100~200 premium over what they're asking if they add a nice stabilizer.

Canon, Panasonic and Sony could all learn from the GoPro promo video. They all got "taken to school" on this one. Just downloaded and viewed a higher quality version. Whoever shot and edited the promo did one heck of a fantastic job.
Not to knock on the camera or anything, but I definitely agree on the production quality, whoever did this no doubt had the capacity to achieve these results no matter what cam they had to work with.

Jason Ramsey
10-18-2012, 01:43 AM
at first all the shots were static... but, then i started to see more practical applications in the 2nd half, and they seemed to show off the camera well. I just find it hard to believe that there isn't any image stabilization on the camera if it wasn't done in post... Especially, a camera that small being used as a helmet cam, etc as in some of those shots. And, in that case, if they did some kind of extensive post work to reduce camera shake, jello, etc... I would hope they would disclose that... even if only in very fine print :) Otherwise, a bit misleading... I mean, the fact that they got some folks with some genuine skills to put that promo piece together is evident to all of us. But, if the images have been significantly manipulated in post beyond color correction, basic noise reduction, etc, that is another area to me.

I mean for 400 bucks... Might actually be in my budget as a personal cam, based on that promo :) Would be great for filming the kids, hiking trips, the dogs, the new chinchilla... just filming something again... for fun.

kabir1975
10-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Excellent, all I need to do is cover the LED and no-one will ever know!

refocusedmedia
10-18-2012, 05:24 AM
http://www.eoshd.com/content/9127/full-1080p-high-bitrate-gopro-hero-3-black-edition-footage-now-available-for-download

Efexone
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Still using my hero2's heavily for all sorts of POV footage - Cant wait to pick up a black edition simply for the higher frame-rate options. Im curious how much better the low light performance actually is - the hero2's a great camera during the day, but its unusable in low-light situations.

Tom Shortridge
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Would it be safe to assume that some prototype Hero3s were used for the Red Bull Stratos project?

Bern Caughey
10-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Updating the firmware on the wifi product is a PITA.

I received the WiFi module the day before the Black announcement, & just yesterday did the firmware update dance. It is a PITA even on a new MacBook, & took some juggling, but finally worked out. Not only does the firmware on the camera, WiFi module, & remote, need to be updated, but so does the Cineform Studio app on the computer.

The phone/tablet preview is a great framing aid when rigging the GoPro in tight, or odd, positions, but the preview has a few second delay, & cuts out completely when recording. The menu is much easier to move thru on the app then on the camera, & start/stop is responsive.

I'm glad the Black has WiFi built in as this will allow leaving the rear LCD in place. I'm much less happy they changed the battery, which means extra bits to carry if using the previous models too (I have both the Hero HD 1 & 2).

The Black looks like it might be able to rig NDs to, but I wish there was some way to control the shutter speed, or at least know where it's set. While less important for slomo, it would be great for 24 fps (there's no 24p currently, but think that will change soon).

I also hope they've improved the sensor readout because the current Heros have severe rolling shutter, & vibrations will turn them jello. We've had a lot of success attaching them to cars, but when we tried various positions on a Cessna (which is against FAA rules) the footage was useless. When I watched the promo I immediately wondered it they used a Glider for the flying shots.

Still with all it's faults the GoPro is a great little tool that's used regularly on all levels of production, including major motion pictures.

kurth
10-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I'll second eoshd's idea that gopro should release a version with lens mount...perhaps cmount . With the new 1" sensors getting alot of airplay , which are 4k capable, gopro could perhaps release a cheap BM-like camera ( say for a grand ) that would set the market on fire. People might find this (http://nofilmschool.com/2012/07/get-more-out-of-your-gopro-with-a-varifocal-zoom-lens/) interesting. Not being an earlyadoptertype, I'll wait a few months, enjoying the release, on the black edition, to get any bugs out of manufacturing , and definitely jump on this like a cat on a rat !

Adam J McKay
10-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I was just thinking that...

kurth
10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd also like to know what fov corresponds with gopro's narrow, medium , and ultra-wide ?

Jay Birch
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't get the thinking behind an interchangeable version. It's a POV camera that is completely weatherproof, tiny, lightweight and very, very tough. That is it's entire reason of existence.

Having an interchangeable lens would completely take away all the plus points and you'd be left with a small sensor camera that is sub GH2 standard. Just get a GH2.

refocusedmedia
10-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't get the thinking behind an interchangeable version. It's a POV camera that is completely weatherproof, tiny, lightweight and very, very tough. That is it's entire reason of existence.

Having an interchangeable lens would completely take away all the plus points and you'd be left with a small sensor camera that is sub GH2 standard. Just get a GH2.

Exactly. An interchangeable lens on a GoPro would be utterly pointless.

dregenthal
10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
While less important for slomo, it would be great for 24 fps (there's no 24p currently, but think that will change soon).

I'm not certain which you are referring to (the new Hero3 or the Hero2) but they both have 24p . . .
It's stated in the specs for the Hero3 and was delivered in the free software update you referenced.
I think a lot of people had a problem finding it (I know I did), you have to be in ProTune mode to access it.

Best.

larrys
10-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi, I have never used a go pro, but I am wondering, with the addition of a good mic, and a tripod, could the go pro be used to capture quick interviews? All the footage I see is very wide angle and Iknow it has some other settings. Can you get a good talking head type interview with no image distortion? Thanks.

JoeJITSU
10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
We'll, I would get it because of the 2.7k at 30p. I hate that it doesn't have stabilization but ill throw that badboy on a shoulder cam then. lol

agcohn
10-18-2012, 01:36 PM
We'll, I would get it because of the 2.7k at 30p. I hate that it doesn't have stabilization but ill throw that badboy on a shoulder cam then. lol
Did the other GoPros have stabilization? I haven't seen a lot of complaints about it if not, and I think there would have been complaints if it were an issue, considering the camera main purpose is for action sports.

Bern Caughey
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm not certain which you are referring to (the new Hero3 or the Hero2) but they both have 24p . . .

Protune enables 24 fps, but not 23.97

kurth
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Exactly. An interchangeable lens on a GoPro would be utterly pointless.

....obviously you didn't read eoshd's article .... it would only be "utterly pointless" if...you wanted to take it under water . And I also suggested gopro bring out a 1" sensor version . And I don't see the gh2 shooting 3k...and won't anytime soon ! And shallow dof is not always wanted. Take a break and watch Knife in the Water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AzFuacw7e) ....not one shallow depth shot in the whole film...and it looks pretty damn good to me !

fastfinger
10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Quick question. Will changing FOV effect video quality?

StMad
10-18-2012, 04:03 PM
And I don't see the gh2 shooting 3k...!

A sharper GH2 with less DR, less control and more difficult to monitor?

zaronz
10-18-2012, 04:11 PM
A sharper GH2 with less DR, less control and more difficult to monitor?

From what currently showed, I believe the new GoPro with the technicolor picture style should be able to hold up with the GH2's "not so good" DR. If the colors hold up we may be able to easily intercut these cameras with each other.

LiamR
10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Not to knock on the camera or anything, but I definitely agree on the production quality, whoever did this no doubt had the capacity to achieve these results no matter what cam they had to work with.

Abe Kislevitz (https://twitter.com/abekislevitz) that would be this guy. He edit's most of GoPro's video and has done all there Promo videos, including the HD2 one, which was awesome.

He stated after the HD2 Promo video came out that they used GoPro's with un-released firmware on them and I'd be betting they've done the same with this video.

dregenthal
10-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Protune enables 24 fps, but not 23.97

Indeed. I was confused by what you said instead of what you meant (if I'd given it a little thought I'd have figured it out), anyhow, my bad.
I suspect you are probably correct, that they will implement it in the near future . . . perhaps when they add the play-back feature?
That's be awesome!

Meanwhile I guess we'll just have to run/convert clips through the included Cineform Studio software.

Best.

Jay Birch
10-19-2012, 04:00 AM
....obviously you didn't read eoshd's article

No, i didn't... because i don't think he has much insight. I had a quick look, just for the sake of balance, and I still agree with my initial view*... There is little to no value in an interchangeable GoPro.

You would make so many sacrifices just to get 2.7k that would probably still be out resolved by the GH2 in 1080p. You want deep DOF, why bother with an interchangeable lens then? Just move the GoPro closer or further away from your subject or use the wide/narrow function.

The fact that he managed to get a dig in at the C300 says all you need to know about that guy.

maarek
10-19-2012, 04:27 AM
There are always some weird things with EOSHD's articles. Now it seems like he would rather use GoPro for POV shots than a DSLR. That's just...That's someone speaking who hasn't actually used these cams. First of all...the GoPro doesn't let you lock the exposure. Secondly, there are absolutely beautiful pov shots being done on DSLR's at the moment. A full-frame DSLR will rock doing POV shots. Yes, you have to mount the camera but you have to mount a gopro too.

A GoPro is just not a good idea for narrative. Except for special action shots.

And why is every constant article in EOSHD bashing Canon cameras? That's ludicrous. Why isn't he bashing the Sony FS100 for horrible AVCHD artifacts and horrendous highlights? And that cam is not even that sharp. He owns it, where are the snark remarks?

NorBro
10-19-2012, 07:13 AM
I love Canon, but really...no 60p for $15k? that would be outrageous...I checked the specs and see 720/60p in the VBR mode, but maybe he's referring to 1080...and it's still not acceptable for that price.

kurth
10-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Secondly, there are absolutely beautiful pov shots being done on DSLR's at the moment. A full-frame DSLR will rock doing POV shots.

ha...pleaz put a 5d on your helmet and ski off a cliff !

Nektonic
10-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I was planning on getting either a Hero 2 or that Sony Action cam in the near future. Good thing I waited, as this new GoPro sounds great for my needs, even though it is a bit pricier than the current models. Still though, for $400 I'm not complaining.

P13
10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't mind a GoPro but TBH with my POV rig and a Gorilla pod I can do much the same with my GH2.

dustylense
10-19-2012, 11:54 AM
all I an say is HOLY SMOKES to that youtube video of this camera!

androbot2084
10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Well $400 for the camera which shoots 2.7k at 30 fps and $400 for a 1440p computer monitor and you get good picture quality for less than one tenth the price of a 4k 60fps camera and 4k TV.

Gary W
10-19-2012, 12:27 PM
There are always some weird things with EOSHD's articles. Now it seems like he would rather use GoPro for POV shots than a DSLR. That's just...That's someone speaking who hasn't actually used these cams. First of all...the GoPro doesn't let you lock the exposure. Secondly, there are absolutely beautiful pov shots being done on DSLR's at the moment. A full-frame DSLR will rock doing POV shots. Yes, you have to mount the camera but you have to mount a gopro too.

And why is every constant article in EOSHD bashing Canon cameras? That's ludicrous. Why isn't he bashing the Sony FS100 for horrible AVCHD artifacts and horrendous highlights? And that cam is not even that sharp. He owns it, where are the snark remarks?

You know nothing about the FS 100, try owning one before you talk about it. I do own one, and if you know how to use it correctly the highlights roll off really well, and the avchd does not have the artifacting problem that you state. It also grades really well oh, but you don't own one so you wouldn't know about that.

JAWflyer3
10-19-2012, 12:36 PM
ha...pleaz put a 5d on your helmet and ski off a cliff !
Ok!

https://vimeo.com/4636468

Ian Provo has been doing it for years

androbot2084
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
4k at 15 fps? I guess the film buffs like that old fashioned hand crank look.

refocusedmedia
10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
4k at 15 fps? I guess the film buffs like that old fashioned hand crank look.

Timelapse? Use two for 3D? Or do 24\30p @ 2.7K and upres to 4K? Or make use of the extra resolution for image stabilization in post? There are many great opportunities afforded by this camera.

KyranFord
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM
I was very fond of both GoPros I owned previously. They really do have some ingenious marketing strategies. Looks like I'm sold if I can find a justifiable reason in owning one!

Hidef1080
10-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Ok!

WOW.

androbot2084
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
So is GoPro now part of the 4k revolution?

Donald Ong
10-19-2012, 06:21 PM

what do you expect from GH2HD?

ELN614
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
GO PRO HD3
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.:love4:
a must own !!!!!

kurth
10-19-2012, 07:29 PM

...it'd probably be a safe bet that Ian pre-ordered the hero 3 black already...just based on the promo !

jimagine
10-20-2012, 04:30 PM
WOW.

Are you kidding me.
I'll have one of these mounted on top of our A camera just about all the time for any outdoor action - matched action, wide angle slomo for every shot.

Greyfus Wolf
10-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I really wished they made an interchangeable lens version of their Black Edition...
Would make a really great small camera. :)

Hidef1080
10-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Are you kidding me.
I'll have one of these mounted on top of our A camera just about all the time for any outdoor action - matched action, wide angle slomo for every shot.

My "WOW" was for the content.
Is that not what filmmaking is all about?
But to mount a full sized DSLR on top of ones head and ski off of cliffs...
I'll wow that too.

jimagine
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
My "WOW" was for the content.
Is that not what filmmaking is all about?
But to mount a full sized DSLR on top of ones head and ski off of cliffs...
I'll wow that too.

I was agreeing with you. <g>.

Jason Ramsey
10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
does anyone know what the battery life is expected to be like?

Lee Saxon
10-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I really wished they made an interchangeable lens version of their Black Edition...
Would make a really great small camera. :)

Great idea! Sorta like Sony NEX for motion. Any lens you want on a super compact camera head.

NastyNick
10-21-2012, 02:18 PM
I do not understand how so many people are having so many problems with updating. I have 4 HD2's all with WiFi backpacks and remotes. They are all currently updated, as well as having the ProTune camera update. I did not have 1 issue with any of this.

hawaj
10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Ok!

Nice video, but jumping off the huge cliffs is bit different story then just ride steep hills and jump small rocks.

JAWflyer3
10-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Nice video, but jumping off the huge cliffs is bit different story then just ride steep hills and jump small rocks.
I'm sure it's been done by him, don't have the time to search for the one i've seen
here's gopro's competition from arri. A helmet mounted Alexa-M!
http://oi47.tinypic.com/2cs6p7s.jpg

kicap
10-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I do not understand how so many people are having so many problems with updating. I have 4 HD2's all with WiFi backpacks and remotes. They are all currently updated, as well as having the ProTune camera update. I did not have 1 issue with any of this.

How about remote monitoring of the video live? I have everything done right except that the HERO2 doesn't seem to be able to send the video output to my iPhone.

alaskacameradude
10-22-2012, 01:20 AM

Really? I've not had any of these 'issues' you mention with the FS100. Are you
an owner or just had a bad experience with a rental? The FS100 takes some work
for sure but no 'horrible' AVCHD artifacts that I have ever seen and with the right PP
highlights are fine. And it's a heck of a lot sharper than Canon DSLRs. Read Adam
Wilts article on it for more details

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/review_sony_nex-fs100_super35_lss_avchd_camcorder/

Note test charts comparing Canon DSLRs to FS100. Yeah it's no C300 but it's 3 to 4 times less
expensive too.

And yeah a GoPro would probably be most useful in a narrative getting special action shots.
That IS what it is made for after all. The Protune update means it is easier to mix the Gopro
footage with your A cam footage which is awesome in my book.

maarek
10-22-2012, 03:11 AM
Really? I've not had any of these 'issues' you mention with the FS100. Are you
an owner or just had a bad experience with a rental? The FS100 takes some work
for sure but no 'horrible' AVCHD artifacts that I have ever seen and with the right PP
highlights are fine.

I used the FS700 on a recent shoot. As it's basically a souped up FS100 it should be pretty alike. Yes, horrible AVCHD artifacts (check this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?294411-Strange-quot-blocks-quot-in-the-image-from-the-FS700 ) and ugly highlight handling (looks great most of the time but when it goes awry, it really goes bad). And fs700 has great cinegammas that the fs100 is missing so the highlight handling should be way worse on that.

Look, it's a great cam but the point is...you can nitpick any camera to hell. And that is what EOSHD likes to do. It's the nitpickers paradise for people who don't really shoot anything but flowers.

Claiming that those AVCHD artifacts doesn't exist is odd. Yeah, you may not see them while the image is moving but if you want to nitpick, there they are. Easy to spot in even moderate movement as the bitrate breaks up. Funnily I think the GoPro3 is probably better in this regard than the FS700 as it goes higher.

p.s I did really love the way FS700 handles shadows. They looked great.

alaskacameradude
10-22-2012, 09:08 AM
I used the FS700 on a recent shoot. As it's basically a souped up FS100 it should be pretty alike. Yes, horrible AVCHD artifacts (check this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?294411-Strange-quot-blocks-quot-in-the-image-from-the-FS700 ) and ugly highlight handling (looks great most of the time but when it goes awry, it really goes bad). And fs700 has great cinegammas that the fs100 is missing so the highlight handling should be way worse on that.

Look, it's a great cam but the point is...you can nitpick any camera to hell. And that is what EOSHD likes to do. It's the nitpickers paradise for people who don't really shoot anything but flowers.

Claiming that those AVCHD artifacts doesn't exist is odd. Yeah, you may not see them while the image is moving but if you want to nitpick, there they are. Easy to spot in even moderate movement as the bitrate breaks up. Funnily I think the GoPro3 is probably better in this regard than the FS700 as it goes higher.

p.s I did really love the way FS700 handles shadows. They looked great.

Well I'm out of my depth now as I own a FS100 and have never so much as touched a
FS700 (I wish!!). My understanding is the FS100 chip has WAY fewer pixels on it than
the FS700. Would this affect dynamic range? It seems like it might but I'm not sure.
Anyways highlight handling can be an issue but as an owner and not a one time user
I have been able test different PPs and G log ultimate has solved that issue for me.

I don't look at test video online as to AVHD artifacts as I have no idea what these shooters are
doing not to mention that compressing video for the web can cause....artifacts.
I haven't noticed them in my use of the camera.....maybe I should nitpick more
......either that or shoot flowers :). I know what kind of people you are talking
about even if I am not familiar with EOSHD.

aly324
10-22-2012, 12:21 PM

As a former FS100 owner I don't disagree about the AVCHD artifacts and how the codec occasionally turns to absolute shite, but I'm not sure why you're picking on EOSHD. In his review of the FS100 he did mention the compression artifacts and highlight issues.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7862/sony-nex-fs100-as-a-dslr-alternative-first-impressions

kurth
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
...can't remember all the way back to when this thread was actually talking about gopro's ( seems there's an active shrill conspiracy about eoshd ! ) if this article was linked, but....just read the article (http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/protune.html) by david newman where he states that the hero2 with protunes is getting about 11 stops of dr, so that should give alot of hope for the black series hero3 to outperform the older model while using protunes.

androbot2084
10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
But can the GoPro lens actually focus and resolve a 4K image?

kurth
10-22-2012, 06:18 PM
well...it's a new lens so you can't even judge the stills from the hero2 and make an assumption. but I think the real question is CAN it resolve a 2.7k image ?

kurth
10-23-2012, 02:15 PM
hands on-

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/lightscameraaction/story/hands-on_with_the_gopro_hero3_part_1/

filmguy123
10-23-2012, 11:11 PM
So the GoPro uses a new battery system? Does this mean my GoPro 2 batteries will not work with GoPro 3? I know they're only $20, but I had 3... if this is the case, is it changed because the battery is much better, or just to rip people off?

Are memory cards used the same?

dregenthal
10-23-2012, 11:34 PM
So the GoPro uses a new battery system? Does this mean my GoPro 2 batteries will not work with GoPro 3? I know they're only $20, but I had 3... if this is the case, is it changed because the battery is much better, or just to rip people off?

Are memory cards used the same?

I'm guessing the batteries are smaller because the camera is (smaller) and also has the WiFi built in, leaving less interior space.
They already stated the new one uses micro cards . . . Same rationale I'd imagine.

filmguy123
10-23-2012, 11:52 PM
They already stated the new one uses micro cards . . . Same rationale I'd imagine.

The previous models weren't micro also?

kurth
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
here's the answer to my own question about fov's ...at least according to the hero2 -•170║ Wide FOV •127║ Medium FOV •90║ Narrow FOV

...all of these options are available according to the spec sheet in all 1080p modes including 1080/60p. 90degrees is still pretty wide ...about a 22mm - and the 2.7k option is only available in the ultra-wide 170degree fov...which is rather limiting imo...no pun intended.

....and an update - here's a 2.7k file on vimeo
http://vimeo.com/52004301
...seems some people are picking up the camera already at bestbuy ! ...and suffering earlyadopter syndrome !

androbot2084
10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Reminds me of those fish eyed pictures of the Venus landscape which were later corrected. The early adopters archive their footage in 2.7 K and will fix it in post.

Darkeyesuk2000
10-24-2012, 01:43 PM
can any one tell me how many mbs the codec encodes at, is it 35 mbs or is it higher

androbot2084
10-24-2012, 01:53 PM
i thought I read 45 megabits per second.

kurth
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Protune has the strongest emphasis on image quality by increasing the data-rate (decreasing compression) from an average of 15Mb/s to 35Mb/s. Small artifacts that can occur in detailed scenes or extreme motion are gone at 35Mb/s.

...from the david newman article linked to in one of my previous posts...since everyones too "lazy" to actually read anything !

Al MacLeod
10-24-2012, 03:51 PM
The Hero2 with Protune went to 35, the Hero3 goes to 45...

agcohn
10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
....and an update - here's a 2.7k file on vimeo
http://vimeo.com/52004301
...seems some people are picking up the camera already at bestbuy ! ...and suffering earlyadopter syndrome !
That does look a little more fisheye than I would have liked.

How do they different FOV mode work in 1080? Are they just cropping in on the sensor?

kurth
10-25-2012, 07:33 AM
http://cineform.blogspot.mx/2012/10/why-i-shoot-protune-always.html

The Hero2 with Protune went to 35, the Hero3 goes to 45...

you're right and that's good news !

brinks
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Couple video frame grabs that my buddy just shot over the last couple of weeks with the GoPro 3. These cameras are sick for what they are! Hoping for mine in the next week or two. I'm ready to get it on my heli!

dregenthal
10-25-2012, 09:02 PM
The previous models weren't micro also?

No.

Matthew P
10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
That does look a little more fisheye than I would have liked.

Some optics correction in After Effects fixes that easily enough. Being 2.7k, there's a lot of rez to play with.

brinks
10-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Here's the edit my buddy Collin put together.
http://vimeo.com/52269029

androbot2084
10-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Maybe this is the camera for me because I want to get on the 4K bandwagon but I don't have a lot of money. 4K at 15 fps will be like shooting silent film which is a lot of fun and has a unique look. And 2.7K at 30 fps will be like shooting Todd AO film which is one of my favorite formats because it is great at handling motion while still retaining the film look. 1440p at 48 fps has a 4x3 aspect ratio and would be good for sports and 720p 120 fps is good for slow motion fast action sports.

Once the money starts rolling in I can then upgrade to a professional 4K camera.

R Hudson
10-27-2012, 01:17 PM
I think that the most important thing to remember is that this is a sports camera. It IS a pretty cool sports camera but it will never compare to bigger, more advanced cameras for certain things.

I have owned the HeroHD and the Hero2 and I plan to get the Hero3 Black but I realize its limitations. They are great cameras for certain things.

NorBro
10-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Has anyone seen any good 4k/2.7k footage? Everything thus far on vimeo and youtube does not look good..

androbot2084
10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I do not expect the hero to rival Red. But can its 4K footage upconverted to 30 frames per second hold its own for 4k theatrical Projection? While being aware of the cameras limitations we should also not underestimate this camera so we need to see what the footage looks like on a 4K monitor.

mcgeedigital
10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
No.

kurth
10-29-2012, 08:05 AM
what the 2.7k might do...is resize to 1080 nicely, although you loose the different fov's in 1080. What I'm most perturbed about thus far is that the 720/120p footage is not good . Let's hope I'm wrong.

Oller Visuals
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
How the heck did they do the circling-around-head shots? At 1:12-15. Looks like a helmet cam but she rotates, then the camera itself rotates around her. Mindblown.

edit: Anyone know if one can switch NTSC <--> PAL ? I'm in PAL-land... quite a big diff 12fps against 15.

NorBro
11-10-2012, 04:30 AM
rotating mount attached to helmet..have them for vests too

mico
11-10-2012, 03:04 PM
rotating mount attached to helmet..have them for vests too

Can you provide a link to the vest mount. Thanks

Darkeyesuk2000
11-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I would love to know with the 45mbs codec how would it look if it was projected on to the big screen?
also would love more info on the vest mount

NorBro
11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Check the accessories on their site...the vest I saw was more of a DIY by someone in a video..I'll try to find it...but gopro has various mounting options that you can get creative with if you have other gear...clamps, threads, stabilization gear, etc

Gillvane
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Can you provide a link to the vest mount. Thanks

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?Nao=0&Ntk=Primary+Search+West+Marine&langId=-1&searchTermScope=3&catalogId=10001&viewTaskName=SiteSearchView&keyword=gopro+mount&beginIndex=0&Ntt=gopro+mount&storeId=11151&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=377+710&pageSize=10&sType=SimpleSearch&cid=sc_google&creative=16164900604&adpos=1t2&gclid=CLO2hffbybMCFQU5nAod91UAPw

All sorts of mounts for the gopro.

mico
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Check the accessories on their site...the vest I saw was more of a DIY by someone in a video..I'll try to find it...but gopro has various mounting options that you can get creative with if you have other gear...clamps, threads, stabilization gear, etc

I thought you were talking about a rotating vest mount of some kind. I was curious how that was pulled off. I know of the standard mounts and really like the rotating helmet shots. Sorry.

I received my Hero 3 today and the smaller size and new menu system are great. The non image negatives so far are gopros unbelievable asinine packaging that is so wasteful and that it takes half an hour to upack. They could probably shave $20 off the price in cost of needless packaging materials. As this is my second camera from them I had to shake my head again.

arroway
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent helmet for use with the front mounting bracket/arm?

StMad
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I think what you're currently wearing should be fine.

Hallvalla
11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I thought you were talking about a rotating vest mount of some kind. I was curious how that was pulled off. I know of the standard mounts and really like the rotating helmet shots. Sorry.

I received my Hero 3 today and the smaller size and new menu system are great. The non image negatives so far are gopros unbelievable asinine packaging that is so wasteful and that it takes half an hour to upack. They could probably shave $20 off the price in cost of needless packaging materials. As this is my second camera from them I had to shake my head again.

I thought I was the only one, lol. I thought it was some sort of test to see if I was worthy of the camera...

mico
11-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I thought I was the only one, lol. I thought it was some sort of test to see if I was worthy of the camera...

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I think its gopro trying real hard to say "hey this is a special high end product because look at this serious packaging we have here". Another way to stand out and charge more with enormous waste in material.

Samuel H
11-17-2012, 02:08 AM
You gopro hero lovers will like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M0jmSsQ5ptw

Jason Ramsey
11-25-2012, 07:11 AM
man, I knew these things were small, but I didn't realize just how small until I saw one in person at Best Buy yesterday... These things are tiny!

Cryogenic Filmworks
11-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Every video I have seen off this has that fisheye look. Is this what it's all about cause that is not what I am needing.

noirist
11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
The lens on the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition is definitely a fisheye. It's impossible to get a rectilinear image straight out of the camera. You notice it more or less depending on the shooting mode because each shooting mode crops the sensor differently.

Jay Birch
11-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Can you correct that fisheye back a bit in post? With the 2.6k mode, that should give enough resolution to fix the distortion and have a better 1080p version.

noirist
11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
De-fishing an image typically results in a significant loss of image quality, even with a high quality fisheye on a high quality full frame still camera. In my (inexpert) estimate, the GoPro footage is not anywhere near 2k measured resolution. It might not even be 720p :( So I don't think it'll be possible to improve the image quality by defishing, but I'm eager to be proven wrong.

firehawk
11-28-2012, 09:10 PM
How do you frame your shot? Is there a way to see the framing so you can mount it in the right position for the best angle?

LiamR
11-29-2012, 03:31 AM
How do you frame your shot? Is there a way to see the framing so you can mount it in the right position for the best angle?

Yeah, you buy the LCD BacPac, unfortunately, it's an add-on so it costs more, it's like around $100

noirist
11-29-2012, 07:19 AM
For now the LCD BacPac is the best (only) option for framing your shots. However, GoPro has promised to update their iOS/Android apps in late December so that you can live stream the output of the camera to your Apple/Android smart phone.

firehawk
11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
For now the LCD BacPac is the best (only) option for framing your shots. However, GoPro has promised to update their iOS/Android apps in late December so that you can live stream the output of the camera to your Apple/Android smart phone.
Thank you. I think I'm buying one late December then. Being able to see the framing is critical for me when vehicle mounting and wedding shots. Live viewing would be even better for moving pole cam shooting. Guess I'll vest mount my phone as a monitor. :)

androbot2084
11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
So how does the GoPro look on a 1440p computer monitor ?

noirist
11-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I thought the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition youtube video looked outstanding on my 2560x1600 color-corrected monitor. But when I shot my own footage, it looked like -ss no matter what resolution I used. If you're intending to use it for action shots you can't get with another camera because the other camera is too heavy to mount or too expensive to risk, the GoPro is great. If you're intending to get great footage, then most other cameras will do better. Much better.

So how does the GoPro look on a 1440p computer monitor ?

swopiv
11-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Does anyone know if the new GoPro is PAL/NTSC switchable? I know these terms mean very little these days, but basically, can I switch between 25p and 30p or am I stuck with only one?

Mike McNeese
11-30-2012, 06:09 AM
It is PAL/NTSC selectable.

androbot2084
11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
So how come the demo footage looks so good but the actual footage not so good?

noirist
11-30-2012, 01:20 PM
An excellent question which is troubling me. I heard a rumor on one of the gopro forums that the cameras used in the demo footage had custom firmware. Maybe its true, but it seems unlikely to me. More likely they know how to shoot around the camera's limitations whereas I don't.

So how come the demo footage looks so good but the actual footage not so good?

David Saraceno
11-30-2012, 02:42 PM
The "demo reel" sales footage for the Black Edition looks fabulous.

But user contributed footage usually does not.

I have a running battle from someone who claims that the GP3 BE shoots better video the a Sony RX100 and I just don't buy it (or see it).

The smaller sensor, and poorer lens on the GP3 doesn't look as good to me even when the protune data rate is used at 45 mbps.

The AVCHD footage at 28 mbps we produce with our RX100 seems to have better dynamic range and is much sharper than the GP3. And you don't have to deal with the barrel distortion.

mico
11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't know if anyone has been in a store with a Gopro booth. It had a monitor with a continuos loop of footage from the Gopro. It looked fantastic. For years I always thought something was up with that footage because I never saw footage anywhere else that looked that good. It could have been the monitor, it could have been an in house cocktail. Or since its all extreme sports footage, that demo reel was probably culled from a ton of hours of footage with only the best shots used that weren't too long. It needs light and when the light is right it looks great. If you don't hit that sweet spot its crap. Still theres no other cam that can get in places like it does. I worked on a network TV pilot a while ago that used the old go pro in an action scene at night. Quick cuts or lots of light thats the secret if Gopro is playing it honest.

David Saraceno
11-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I agree.

Good light, plenty of colors, and a little bit of post, and some of the footage will look fabulous.

But day to day shots without optimal conditions, and I'll take a camera with manual controls, larger sensor, and good lens over the GP.

Still, it produces the most unique shots of any cam I've seen, and certainly at that price point.

noirist
11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
That sounds about right. I'll add two more ingredients to yours: (3) a strong central subject so the fisheye doesn't look bad; and (4) not a lot of detail so you don't notice its absence.

Gillvane
12-01-2012, 06:25 AM
I thought the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition youtube video looked outstanding on my 2560x1600 color-corrected monitor. But when I shot my own footage, it looked like -ss no matter what resolution I used. If you're intending to use it for action shots you can't get with another camera because the other camera is too heavy to mount or too expensive to risk, the GoPro is great. If you're intending to get great footage, then most other cameras will do better. Much better.

Thank you for posting and others for commenting. I passed this along to a friend making a purchasing decision, and after these comments he's decided to get a Canon T4i now, and get a go pro later if he wants it for sports, underwater, crash cam, etc. I recommended that although the specs look good and it's cheap, the gopro should not be his primary cam, but a secondary cam used for it's intended purpose which is extreme conditions.

mico
12-01-2012, 07:14 AM
And yet theres always exceptions to the rule. If you can put aside the pixel peeping and resolution charts ,there is, to me, something hypnotic about certain perspectives that only the go pro can give give you. I posted this awhile ago but for those that haven't seen it. Shot with the old go pros.

http://waytooindie.com/news/trailer/watch-leviathan-trailer/

http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/heavy-metal-an-interview-with-leviathan-co-director-verena-paravel

kurth
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm glad I'm not an early adopter anymore ....because that gopro demo reel was outstanding. Now that the dust has settled, I'll go pickup one of those little sony's for $200 bucks immediately, and on the first pricedrop....a rx100 and maybe this (http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/sony_rx100.html) , for wet hostile environments ! Maybe gopro is working on a pro version with a 1 inch sensor...if they're smart .

Al MacLeod
12-01-2012, 07:41 AM
You had to go and show me the housed rx100...I'm gonna dehydrate from the drooling over that one...

kurth
12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
yea...isn't that beautiful ! And esp. that wide angle adapter .

indiawilds
12-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Has anyone tested the Go Pro 3 in low light? I am looking for Go Pro for some extreme stuff. However, there will be no scope for supplementing the sunlight. I guess it will not work in moonlight like a C300.

Samuel H
12-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Yes, the image quality may not be top notch. But how else can you record what your cat does when it's out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x0jdjRrzIyw

TrueIndigo
12-02-2012, 03:45 AM
At this small size you could probably even put it in the cat's water bowl for those looking-up drinking shots.

Mickey G
01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know if the Gopro2 battery/backpack is compatible with the GoPro3?

I understand that the batteries are different but I've heard mixed views if I could plug in my battery backpack (w/ Hero2 battery) into my Hero3

Joost
01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes that is possible. I had to go abroad and the hero 3 battery's didn't sold in Netherlands yet so I went for this solution.
I used it 3 days with the backback. I noticed that in the end of the day the gopro crashed all the time.
I think this is when the hero 3 batt is emty and it is only running on the hero 2 batt but I am not sure of this.

Barry_Green
01-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Has anyone tested the Go Pro 3 in low light? I am looking for Go Pro for some extreme stuff. However, there will be no scope for supplementing the sunlight. I guess it will not work in moonlight like a C300.
I've got a Hero3 Black here that I haven't tested at all yet, but I can say this: when you say "Has anyone tested the Go Pro 3 in low light", you have to specify the "edition", because they are not the same. Look on the GoPro site and under low light you'll see that they list very different capabilities for the White, Silver, and Black editions. So if you're looking for extreme low light, your quest probably should focus solely on the black model.

Jay Birch
01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
low light on the black edition is pretty bad, so i imagine it is worse throughout the range.

from my field tests, it is pretty much unusable in anything but mid/high light levels. The noise is not just ugly.... but big blocks and random splodges (to use the technical term)

if you are in low light, make sure to only use 24p mode. this will help a little.

MichaelTiemann
01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Does anybody know how to get 1080i60, 1080p30, or 720p60 out of the HDMI port of a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition? My DP6 monitor tells me that whatever I set the recording format to, HDMI is sending 1080p60, and I don't have any HW converters that will change that to something my monitoring infrastructure can handle. I don't care about using the Hero3 as its own POV recording device, I want to use it as a POV feed into a switching system. Thanks!

ggrantly
01-05-2013, 01:29 AM
The whole GoPro thing really intrigues me, but I wonder how they compare to the "rugged" cams built all the majors. I have a Panny TS-2 and I am always surprised how good it is shooting AVCHD lite. I get a real lens with a real zoom, live view and more. I don't get a fish-eye and some of the whiz bang stuff, but really the footy is pretty decent.

Grant

lgrmus
01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi
I shot with my goPro 3 in 1080p mode : stabilization with after effect and its near perfect ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0x9Bo3A4ss

Hope you'll like it

MichaelTiemann
01-26-2013, 03:18 PM
BTW, I heard back from GoPro about the video out of the Hero3. Apparently, somebody thought it would be "better" to change the functionality of the HDMI output. It used to be that if you recorded in a "standard" mode, such as 720p60 or 1080p30, that's what would come out the HDMI port. Now everything is forced to 1080p60, regardless of the recording mode. Unfortunately, that makes it utterly unusable with any standard converters to use the GoPro camera as a POV camera in a live studio. Too bad.

Gillvane
01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi
I shot with my goPro 3 in 1080p mode : stabilization with after effect and its near perfect ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0x9Bo3A4ss

Hope you'll like it

Nice. But still kinda fisheye.

lgrmus
02-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Nice. But still kinda fisheye.
True. But sometimes, it's not, like on this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpYqIyhOE0
There's no deformation I don't no why.

GrahamH
02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Distortion correction software, perhaps? Google "defishing" and "Panini"...

Oller Visuals
04-05-2013, 06:01 AM
So, how's it going for this camera? (Not refering to sales...) It's negativity everywhere it seems, and as far as I understand there's still no firmware fix for the Black Edition's problems?

Eoshd tweets about a rumoured "cinema" Gopro at NAB, never heard of that elsewhere. Thoughts?

c3hammer
04-05-2013, 06:58 AM
I've been using a black edition since Christmas and it's only locked up 4 or 5 times in total where I had to take the battery out. Other than that it's been flawless.

My pet peeve with the thing is that it doesn't do continuous sequential file naming any more. Every time you format or delete all the files from your card it starts then next shot at 0001 and you can't change it. Completely idiotic. You end up with 4 million gopr0001.mp4 files on your hard drive.

The other issue is that it creates a bunch of useless thm and lrv files with every clip. You can't turn that off either. I still can't find an app online that actually uses these files.

I would love to see a 4k 30p version and have a sneaking suspicion that they might be releasing something like that at NAB.

Cheers,
Pete

Ron Evans
04-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Operated manually ( just camera controls ) my Black edition has been fine. The problems have all been when operating with the WiFi remote. I have just downloaded the new firmware and will see how that works.

Ron

Oller Visuals
04-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Operated manually ( just camera controls ) my Black edition has been fine. The problems have all been when operating with the WiFi remote. I have just downloaded the new firmware and will see how that works.

Hearing reviews saying one should ONLY operate through wifi to have it working... So weird.

Really want the camera but Gopro needs to fix these issues.

Ron Evans
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
New firmware seems to be OK so far. I have not used a lot since my main use is skiing and that has stopped for this winter !!! I have started and stopped the camera now many times wihtout issues so hope all is now fixed.

Ron Evans

kurth
05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
ya'll might find this interesting -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6652/ambarella-announces-a9-camera-soc-successor-to-the-a7-in-gopro-hero-3-black

wannabeapilot
05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
ya'll might find this interesting -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6652/ambarella-announces-a9-camera-soc-successor-to-the-a7-in-gopro-hero-3-black

hubba hubba!

atarijedi
05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Hopefully the next GoPro will have a global shutter, as well as this new A9 Camera SOC.

c3hammer
05-01-2013, 08:32 PM
The most impressive feature of this type of high speed capture is the ability to do 1080-120p and the ability to alternate exposure for a high dynamic range at 1080-60p. If it can truly process that much data, the ability to get 14-15 stops of dynamic range at 1080-60p in a standard codec, would be ground breaking. No one has implemented this type processing in a consumer camera to date, that I know of.

4k is great for resolution, but alternating exposure at high frame rates and processing to a much higher dynamic range on the fly to a conventional codec would be much more appealing to the eye. It is something everyone will be able to appreciate instantly regardless of distribution format.

Curious to see where this one leads.

Cheers,
pete

MichaelTiemann
08-26-2013, 02:04 PM
BTW, I heard back from GoPro about the video out of the Hero3. Apparently, somebody thought it would be "better" to change the functionality of the HDMI output. It used to be that if you recorded in a "standard" mode, such as 720p60 or 1080p30, that's what would come out the HDMI port. Now everything is forced to 1080p60, regardless of the recording mode. Unfortunately, that makes it utterly unusable with any standard converters to use the GoPro camera as a POV camera in a live studio. Too bad.

I am very happy to report that despite saying nothing whatsoever about having fixed this problem, the latest GoPro Hero3 software update fixes this problem. I can now send 1080p30 out the HDMI port and monitor! Hooray!!

No idea why GoPro didn't get this right the first time, and doubly surprised that GoPro didn't announced that they'd fixed the problem, but there it is. I can now use these cameras as I intended.

firehawk
08-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Does that mean "live" hdmi output going to a monitor or external recorder?

I am very happy to report that despite saying nothing whatsoever about having fixed this problem, the latest GoPro Hero3 software update fixes this problem. I can now send 1080p30 out the HDMI port and monitor! Hooray!!

No idea why GoPro didn't get this right the first time, and doubly surprised that GoPro didn't announced that they'd fixed the problem, but there it is. I can now use these cameras as I intended.

MichaelTiemann
08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Does that mean "live" hdmi output going to a monitor or external recorder?

Presently I have only tested "live" hdmi output going to a (SmallHD HD6) monitor. But will next check Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck Shuttle. Previously the HD6 could only "see" 480i, no matter what recording format I set. The fact that the HD6 is now following the format I set is a very good sign.