PDA

View Full Version : I need a tip...

JHouser
07-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Hello, this probably should belong in the hardware section, but I figure you all use your cases harder than anyone. I just bought a big rolling case to fit 2 PD's lav mic 2 radios and misc. gear. It has 4 layers of foam that are the pick and pluck type. My question is, now that I have a spot for everything, what is the best way to set the foam? I want to glue the 4 layers together and, I guess "firm up" the foam so I don't have to be ginger with putting my camera in every time to avoid pulling it apart. Is there a good answer to this problem? Thanks in advance.

Daniel Skubal
07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I've heard hairspray works... I dunno though. I've never actually tried it.

Sirius_Doggy
07-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I would think that hairspray would get sticky....
Maybe a heat gun...? dunno - experiment with extra foam, maybe the stuff you've plucked. It would probably just burn and not melt/fuse.
Another option, though not cheap would be to take your cutout to one of the case makers and have them laser-cut your foam from a solid block.

I hate pluck foam too.......

Shaw
07-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Also aerosol type materials usually have a tendency to melt foam (spray paint being a perfect example).

JHouser
07-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Also aerosol type materials usually have a tendency to melt foam (spray paint being a perfect example).

Yea, that's what i am affraid of. I will test a few things. I wasnt sure if there is a "formula" ppl use.

Sanchez
07-13-2005, 07:25 AM
If you're going to try to glue your plucked foam parts together ... latex based contact cement works. And I've heard that construction adhesives formulated for porous material is best -- although mastic requires some setup time (like epoxy I guess).

Other types of adhesive will soak into foam instead of staying on the surface and your pieces won't have much stickiness to work with.

pmark23
07-13-2005, 09:05 PM
You WANT the foam to melt from the adhesive -- that's how the adhesive works. Just use a teeny-weeny bit, and it will stop melting after the chemical reaction wears-out (and be perfectly bonded by melting the foam together.

If you use too much, you'll get something akin to the China syndrome -- not pretty.

3M makes a spray-adhesive for this -- forget the name but I got it at Home Depot.

Jarred Land
07-14-2005, 11:52 PM
yes your right.. the 3m spray adhesive at home depot is the thing to get.. it says safe for foam on the can.

rjkrash
07-15-2005, 08:39 AM
3M Super 77 or Super 74 Spray Adhesive is what you need. Home Depot or any decent hardware store will have it.