PDA

View Full Version : How do I create this effect?

lxjordanxl
10-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey guys,
I want to shoot a music video and the project is about Michael Jordan. I was thinking about recording the artist by a brick wall and while he's going through the verse, to pan the camera to the right or left of him to the a blank space on the wall and to make it seem like a projector is playing Michael Jordan Highlights, and then back to the artist. How can I achieve this look? I edit on Final Cut 7. Any ideas?

ulisses
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Shoot a clean brick wall plate, then the artist plate (studio / chromakey) and you are free to put anything in that wall.
Use a compositing app for better result / possibilities (eg. nuke, fusion, AE, etc)

AndrewGentle
10-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Have you considered actually projecting it as you shoot?

Justin Kuhn
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
If you're going to use actual footage of Michael Jordan, well that's fairly simple, assuming you have footage in the public domain or what have you. Once you set up the plate however you shoot it, you've just got to hit on the right combo of effects. If you want to avoid tracking in After Effects, have the "projector" come on and go off after the camera pans over and before it pans back, respectively--not that you couldn't just cut straight out of it. I would use a Glow filter to add the projected brightness, and keyframe that way up and down to bring it on and then off...or just keyframe it to off. A Blink filter on a duplicate layer of some different blend mode (Darken/Add, or hard Light) would hopefully create a nice flicker, but I would keyframe the flicker filter for extra randomness. I would say Basic 3D to achieve the impression of the same angle as the wall, or use the Distort tool to stretch the image across the wall a little bit. Turn down the opacity on your layers to let the BG plate through a little bit, and make sure the BG plate is shot in the shade, or at least not over-exposed. Play around with all of your settings in all of the filters to see what looks best. You'll probably go through a few renders. Last thing, make sure to render out the highlight reel you create ahead of time and bring it back in for all the effects. You can do this kind of thing a lot better in After Effects, but it can be done in FCP.