PDA

View Full Version : Voices in the Night Films - Looking for Team Members

The Tall Man
10-10-2012, 04:44 PM
VOICES
in the
NIGHT
FILMS

Hello dvxusers! I'm the Director, and Co-Owner of Voices in the Night Films, an indie film company that focuses on realistic fantasy, in other words, bringing the 'Voices in the Night' in to reality.

Film Synopsis:

In our world exists an organization devoted to keeping the knowledge of the exceptions of our reality to the general public (monsters, robots, etc.). We follow several characters, all of which have ties to the Agency and are closely connected to U.C.I (Unidentified Citizen of Interest) or is one, After a mafia hit goes wrong ending with three men dead and a suspected monster behind it, the Agency (technical name still being decided) sends out it's best agent, a previous U.S. Marshall, to track down the killer.

Any more specific questions on the story I'll answer if I can.
By "realistic fantasy" is that all of the creature fx will be costumes and not cg, and will only have the necessary cg if there's no other choice, as well as the setting is going to be a normal city (no psychedelic colors or structures like a Tim Burton film).

Where we are at:

We are based in Indiana, but we will be planning our first film to be shot in Chicago and the surrounding area. We both are new to the film industry (even the Indie film industry), but we believe the story we have to offer is one worth sharing.
Right now our team consists of two, me Seth Lind, and James Solis. We are currently in the screenwriting stage of our to be first film "Vindictatum", and are looking for others that would be interested in joining us, helping us give the world a good story, stories that are sure to make people smile and enjoy the time they invested in watching it.

As far as people we need everything. Camera operators, actors, audio recorders. The works. If anyone has a crew of people that would be interested (will be paid, due to a kickstarter we will be starting as soon as the script is done and we know what kind of budget that we will need). I'm sorry for the hard to read post. I'm new.

Length of film it will be feature length, hour and a half to two hours (not sure the running time yet).

Our Film Friends:

We are also associated with The 249th Regiment, who's focus is also realism in film, we are two new groups helping each other out in whatever we can, as much as we need this help to guide us forward, we need even more team members for our group.

It's not necessary that you have film credits as long as you are serious about learning your new job, but we are looking for people knowledgeable about the film process.

If you want to join, have questions, or anything else, post below or send me a pm, whatever you want.

-Seth Lind, Director and Co Owner

The Tall Man
10-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Anyone?......

Amr Rahmy
10-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the forum,

realistic fantasy is an oxymoron.

your post was a bit difficult to read. you could edit your post, add some information about the movie(Genre, synopsis, how far along are you in the screenplay progress), and the crew members that you need, that might help.

The Tall Man
10-14-2012, 10:01 AM
First post edited. Any questions you have I will answer.

Amr Rahmy
10-14-2012, 10:44 AM
i can offer 2 pieces of advice,

1 - a successful kick-starter campaign would require either:

a- a filmed teaser trailer
b- a, b, c, d, z name actors

2- most monster movies in a city are comedies or animation ('monsters, inc', monsters vs aliens, monsters university(2013), men in black, who framed roger rabbit, monster squad, ...etc.), and there is a reason for that.

or it's a high fantasy and you set the entire movie in another world, like dark city. or any apocalyptic story/zombie infected, ...etc.

if you want dark and realistic, don't inject crime/mystery and action/thriller elements into a horror story. they don't mix. you need a balanced story structure that is either a drama(with 1 action sequence) or an action film(hero's journey).

The Tall Man
10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Unless I can find someone willing to help film a teaser 'for free' I will have to start a kickstarter for the kickstarter.

Story structure has been thought out. Crime drama isn't quite the way it goes, it's just what motivates the story to push forward, and although there are places in the story where there is horror elements, it definitely isn't the main focus. Sci-Fi elements are heavy, but it's set in real life. Think "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (the film). Where there were many fantasy elements within a real world setting.

It may seem complicated, but trust me, it's been thought out.

Amr Rahmy
10-14-2012, 12:31 PM
it's a question of pacing, it's either action or mystery, mystery is a drama, where action needs a goal set in stone from the first arc, your start at point A with the goal to reach point B. you can't start a movie using the crime/mystery as a plot device, that's bad form. you can't start by using crutches that early in the story development.

league of extraordinary gentlemen was set in the real world?!!

sci-fi is a fantasy sub-genre.

league of extraordinary gentlemen is an action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi

The Tall Man
10-14-2012, 12:44 PM
"I can tell there is no pleasing you." (in Goldmember voice (Austin Powers))

What more do you want me to say? It is what it is. Sci Fi (fantasy), set in real life, about a federal agency that investigates fantasy creatures (trying to cover them up) and that the storyline follows a string of murders which are committed by a man who's been turned into a monster who's trying to get revenge on the mafia who has tried to kill him and has killed his family.

I don't need help with the story, just with making it. Pre Production (funding, costume design and production, casting, localization, permits, hiring), production (crews, actors, and location management), and post production (editing, promotion, and touch ups).

I'm trying to keep this from continuing further into an argument, but the story isn't something I don't think that can't be pulled off. It's not a one track idea, but it's one I feel is worthy of being made into a film.

Amr Rahmy
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
okay, okay, calm down, it's just an advice, take it or leave it, it's up to you. i think you descried men in black meets darkman.

good luck with your endeavor.

p.s.: if your going to pitch it to anyone, it's a sci-fi set in present time, not in real life.

The Tall Man
10-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I don't take criticism well though text, even if it's not intended. I do appreciate the advice, you really should try to point people in the right direction next time when you critique them, just so it's not so "Your idea is stupid" sounding.

All things considered. Thank you for making me get my story straight.

Lond[on] off
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi, im from the Chicago area and would love to help out in any way i can. (Also big scifi fan lol)

The Tall Man
10-18-2012, 08:34 AM
We are currently in the writing and planning process. Have you ever worked in any films before? And what area of film would you be interested in. As previously mentioned there's a lot of openings.

The goal is to be filming by next fall, but that's to be decided by a lot of variables. But if you are interested in post production then it will obviously be later, or pre production (earlier).

The Tall Man
10-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Anybody else in the Indiana/W. Illinois Area that's interested in filming?