PDA

View Full Version : Digitally wetting down a road

Chris Adler
09-24-2012, 08:09 AM
So on my current project I have a bunch of scenes that take place outside right after a rainstorm and the road is clearly wet. I had to pick up a shot but as luck would have it, everything was bone dry. Anyone have thoughts on how to better match the bone-dry road with the rest of the sequence where the surface is wet? Zooming in on the shot isn't a viable option.

starcentral
09-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Wet the road then shoot it again, the amount of work to rotoscope the road, tint it, map reflections, etc.. would really probably take longer than just wetting the road and shooting it. Just my thoughts anyway...

ErikTande
09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Reshoot might be your best option.

Is it just one shot? If so, do you have another shot that is a similar angle and field of view where the street is wet?

Chris Adler
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Nah, the shot that needs to match is completely different than the others. I'll take a stab at it I guess and if I can't come up with anything useful I'll have to weigh my options again.

arco1
09-29-2012, 04:29 AM
To change a dry road into a "wet" road, you'll need to add reflections and change the tint. It is not just the road that is wet, but everything in the scene. Then you need to roto your talent, because they'll need a different "wet" treatment than the road does. Seems like a MASSIVE amount of effects work.

Perhaps you can add some fog, a "power outage," or "raindrops on the lens" to help reduce the amount of effects needed. I would love to see your before-and-after results.

Jim

Sol M.
09-29-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know how wide the shot is or how much of a focal point the wet (or dry) road is, but foley (i.e. rainstorm sounds) and some rain vfx (particles) will go a long well to sell the shot so hopefully most viewers won't notice it.