PDA

View Full Version : Light correction

golasa
09-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000004247 StartFragment:0000002437 EndFragment:0000004211Hi all,

I filmed an interview as a test interview and paid little attention to the details…it ended up that my interviewee performance on the test interview was better the the real one... So I ended up scratching my head how I should correct the image…

1. Comparing the two images (see attached), I wish to shift image towards the look of image 2. Notice that there is no big movement in the sequence and it is mainly talking head.

In particular I wish to modify:
1. The light reflection on the whiteboard, the circle on the right of the interviewee
2. Shed a light on part of the image suggesting the light source is situated at angle of 20° on the left side of the image.

FYI, I work on Final Cut and has access to Photoshop and aftereffects.

Any advise on how to correct it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for any advise,

G.

arco1
09-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Although both images could benefit from a bit more light, image 1 has a nice broad light source from the left side of the frame. (I assume a window.) Image 2 is lit more from the front with light that seems to come from below the chin of the subject. The color of the shirt in image 1 also helps separate him from the background.

A simple curve filter will make the whiteboard in 2 look more like 1. The reflection will still be the problem. Shadow-highlights can be used to put a bit more detail into the reflection area. You could add an animated mask in After Effects to further darken the reflection or simulate a light source, but I think the glare will still be distracting.

Assuming a reshoot is not possible: Is there some footage you could use instead of the talking head?

Jim
Colorburst Video

David Jimerson
09-23-2012, 01:46 PM
You're trying to make the lower image look more like the upper image?

You want to get rid of the highlight and create shadows to suggest the light is coming from the side?

Getting rid of the highlight could possibly be done by created an animated mask (as said above) and adjusting the brightness of the spot separately from the rest of the image. This can be done in After Effects, but I wouldn't guarantee results.

As for changing the angle of the light, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. I know it's probably what you don't want to hear, but it's unfortunately true.