PDA

View Full Version : AC160 What happens if you loose power mid shot?

tazza
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
What would happen in a case where power goes out and you're in the middle of a take.
Does the internal battery kick it just long enough to save the file to the SD card?

Nate Haustein
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
When the camera is turned on again, it asks you to repair the last clip on the card. I just tested it for fun by pulling the battery at different intervals and the camera recovered 1 second of a 5 second clip, 6 seconds of a 10 second clip, and 17 seconds of a 20 second clip. Probably something to do with "I" frames or something AVCHD related. So as long as you have the time to repair the clip (it can take a while depending on the length) you should be ok just in case the power goes out.

Barry_Green
08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Always run on battery if you can. The camera knows how much battery it has left, and will close the current recording before the battery dies entirely. Of course it can't do that during AC power and a power outage, so in that case you're at the mercy of the repair-clip function.

I advocate using battery whenever possible.

Allan Black
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
+1 and it goes .. on a shoot, always have available twice the battery power that you originally planned for.

Cheers.

tazza
08-31-2012, 05:21 AM
I advocate using battery whenever possible.[/QUOTE]

as do I however one of the reasons I bought this camera is legal video, I record depositions and sometimes it goes on for hours without break.
I just need to know how the camera would handle an electrical out as I am plugged in for most of these. Good to know I wouldn't loose the file.
Also just to be safe I think, while the Court Reporter is labeling some documents I will stop and restart recording to limit the file size.
thanks for all the replies.

Barry_Green
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Understood, but I would still caution you about this. When the cord is yanked, the *possibility* exists that you could lose all the footage. I wouldn't expect you to, but you could. So if you're really concerned about this, if I were you, I'd consider investing in a small portable uninterruptible power supply. The camera draws barely any power at all, so the tiniest uninterruptible power supply would guarantee that the camera would stay up if the power went out. It would definitely give you enough time to stop the recording and save the file. You can get a UPS for $40, and it's about the cheapest insurance policy I think you'll likely ever find.

tazza
08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
that's a great idea!
thanks