PDA

View Full Version : 13in macbook pro for video?

ReelFilmGeek
08-28-2012, 09:30 PM
So my friend is currently selling his 13in macbook pro, newest model with 2.5ghz I5 Processor, 4gb ram, 500 gb harddrive (5400 RPM) and I was thinking of buying from him (probably for 800-900, its brand new but he has to sell it since he changed his major to IT and well macs are probably the worst decision for a PC based field). Now I normally edit using adobe software but I have plenty of experience of using Final cut Pro so the mac would give me the ability to work with both programs which could be helpful (sometimes I work on quick turn around projects with others that use final cut). Also this would be a laptop mainly to use as a data center when we film and for smaller projects when I am on the go and wont be able to edit on my main Desktop PC.

So my questions are would the macbook be able to edit footage coming from a Canon T2I?
And does anyone have experience of easily transferring data from a mac to a windows pc? I have heard that they both use different hard drive formats that arent readable on both computers.

dustylense
08-28-2012, 11:10 PM
You could, but that $900 would be better off getting a new Ivy bridge Mac book pro I7 and max ram if you are partial to Apple.

josh-ozirigpro
08-29-2012, 12:48 AM
It sounds to me like swapping over to Mac is going to be more pain than it's worth..
You can easily pick up a better (specs wise) PC for the same amount.

Although I can see the benefit of having both FCP and Premiere available...

ReelFilmGeek
08-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Ya the ability to have final cut would be nice because I do a decent amount of work with my high school teacher and we use final cut pro but since I dont have a copy I have to go back to my high school to edit (which is a pain since I graduated and the school is a pain in the ass to get in to as a "guest"). Also he said he installed the after effects cs6 trail on the macbook with no problem which makes me wonder if it meets all the specs. I know a lot of windows laptops don't meet the specs because of screen restitution but the 13in macbook is also short on the required screen res I thought. Lots of windows laptops are like 1366x768 and premiere pro and after effects need something like 1200x900.

David Jimerson
08-29-2012, 06:57 AM
A 13" screen is pretty small if you want to edit on it.