PDA

View Full Version : Denoiser - how important is it?

Russell Moore
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm just getting started filming/editing and I have Premiere Pro and After effects. Figuring everything out, watching tutorials etc.

How important is it to have a denoiser? Is it going to make big difference?
I see Neat video and Magic Bullet make them. Are their any good free denoiser apps to be downloaded. My budget is pretty much depleted.

Any help or insights would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cassius
08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Depends on what your footage looks like. I don't use any for the most part.

arco1
08-05-2012, 04:16 AM
There's a pretty good one included in After Effects - although a bit slow by today's standards.

Jim

HeadStAtE!
08-05-2012, 05:31 AM
I like Neat, if you're uploading video to YouTube it does help to remove noise if your footage has any. See the tips at the bottom of here: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=83876
You can noticeably improve the quality of your video on YouTube by using a sophisticated, scene aware, denoising filter prior to uploading.

HeadStAtE!
08-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Also I've not used it myself yet but Devinci Resolve has a denoiser, the Lite version is free: http://blackmagic-design.com/products/davinciresolve/

simonpwood
08-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I have Neat Video and find it to be indispensable for certain shots.

However, you really only need to buy a Denoiser when you actually need it. I started editing back in 95' and only bought Neat Video in 2011 when I finally got some footage that needed correcting!

However, with digital technology becoming cheaper (and more people using it without traditional training) and with sensors becoming more sensitive, you certainly see a tendency for people to use less lighting these days. So I find I am being handed lots more noisy DSLR footage these days by cameramen.

Prendi
08-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I am editing a project right now that was all shot at night on the EPIC. For want of a better word, it looks shit. I can't explain how much MB denoiser adds so much value to the project. However, it's only the second time I've had to use any noise reduction. I'd say it all depends on what you're shooting and the camera that you're using. If you're not bumping up the ISO/gain, then I see no need for it. Unless you want to match two types of grain, so remove grain from one camera and add a different type.

tom_wise
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm just getting started filming/editing and I have Premiere Pro and After effects. Figuring everything out, watching tutorials etc.

How important is it to have a denoiser? Is it going to make big difference?
I see Neat video and Magic Bullet make them. Are their any good free denoiser apps to be downloaded.

No reason to buy it until you need it. And you'll definitely know when that time arrives.

Have you seen Act of Valor? The 5DMK2 was used in that film for some scenes. There is easily visible Banding and some Noise too. The Software available to them is the same as available to you and me, and they also have proprietary software available. Yet the banding and noise is still there.

I have used Neat since I first needed it. I have applied it to my stuff and also to customers stuff. The Customers stuff was where it shined: SD for instance, and even an iPad clip.

I have had some personal footage that was so bad that neat only seemed to make it worse. So I crushed the blacks and that was a better fix for that clip.

Summary: When you need it, you'll know it!

Russell Moore
08-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I really appreciate all the responses, pretty much covers all of my questions and more.
I guess I won't worry about it until I need it, maybe I'll play around with whatever AE offers.

It sounds like a lot of you use Neat, so I'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

Thanks again.

simonpwood
08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
The thing about Neat Video is that the company have that one product; all they specialize in is Noise Reduction and nothing more. Their customer service is fast and very helpful. They have a free download (with limited features) that is pretty nice to mess around with. When I got some bad video from a nightclub I downloaded the demo and played around with it for about an hour testing different settings. I was pretty shocked by the results. I purchased the full program the next day. The only downside to Neat is that it is processor heavy (and can take a while to render) - so its best to leave the Noise Reduction close to the very end (once the edit is locked), but just before final grading.

kylevant
08-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah, just stick to low and native ISOs and you'll be good. Wishlists are free...

Michael Carter
08-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Everyone's gonna have a moment they really need it. Really handy when you get footage that's just too dark and needs to be blasted open. Neat is simpler to use than AE's remove grain filter (which, on the other hand, is free). Neat takes a profile of noise which you can save - it tunes itself for a specific camera - or even a specific shot, which is nice and very effective.

simonpwood
08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, just stick to low and native ISOs and you'll be good. Wishlists are free...

But as an editor you have no control over the footage the cameraman is handing you. Proper noise reduction is a great tool to have in the toolbox.

kylevant
08-15-2012, 03:19 AM
But as an editor you have no control over the footage the cameraman is handing you. Proper noise reduction is a great tool to have in the toolbox.

Granted. I'd say it's a worthy tool if you're a dedicated editor, but if you're shooting it yourself then just keep an eye out on the ISO count.