PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Linking and Multi Cam - Stumped

sladen
07-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make dynamic link work in AE with a sequence I made in PP. In PP, I created a sequence of a live concert performance that utilized the multi-cam function (I did not nest the clips). When I try to import the project file into AE, it only shows the clip that is on the top layer in the source composition. What I really want to do is use dynamic link in PP and replace the entire sequence with an AE composition, make my effects in AE, then export the finished file in PP. But the same issue occurs in PP with only one camera in in the timeline.

This is very confusing... is it not possible to use dynamic link with a multi cam sequence?

Bruce Watson
07-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Hey guys, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make dynamic link work in AE with a sequence I made in PP. In PP, I created a sequence of a live concert performance that utilized the multi-cam function (I did not nest the clips). When I try to import the project file into AE, it only shows the clip that is on the top layer in the source composition. What I really want to do is use dynamic link in PP and replace the entire sequence with an AE composition, make my effects in AE, then export the finished file in PP. But the same issue occurs in PP with only one camera in in the timeline.

This is very confusing... is it not possible to use dynamic link with a multi cam sequence?

I'm not sure I understand your workflow, but it sounds like you're doing something in a non-standard way. What PPro wants you to do is nest your sequences. The "normal" workflow is to create a source sequence and put your various camera feeds on Video 1, Video 2, etc. on the timeline. Sync them up so all the video/audio feeds are together. Then you create a multi-cam edit sequence, and drag the source sequence (from the Project panel) into this new mulit-cam edit sequence. Enable multi-cam editing on this sequence, then bring up the multi-cam editor, run your sequence, and pick your camera angles. Make a clean up pass using the rolling edit tool to correct any timing issues with the cuts.

At this stage you can use the selection tool to select the entire timeline and "File...Adobe Dynamic Link...Replace with After Effects Composition". AE will open with your timeline exactly as you send it, all the camera angles will be there as you selected them.

An alternative is to create a third sequence, call it "target" or something meaningful. Nest the multi-cam sequence into this target sequence and send that to AE. Why? If you screw it up you can just delete it and start over without endangering the work you did with the multi-cam editor on your multi-cam sequence.

This last alternative is what I personally do. Works like a charm. And I can use the multi-cam edit sequence in any number of target sequences.

sladen
07-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey Bruce, thanks for your response. Based on what you described, I used the exact same workflow. In PP I used the multi cam editor and successfully recorded and cut the entire sequence. Works and looks great. So, after I selected my entire timeline in PP and clicked Dynamic Link - Replace with AE Composition, AE opens up and and I see my entire sequence, with all of the cuts nicely stacked and in chronological order. BUT, in the monitor I'm only seeing one camera angle - the camera angles no longer change as a scrub through the AE timeline. Nor do the camera angles change in the PP timeline.

What might I be doing wrong? Like your idea for creating a third sequence, just need to solve the camera angle issue first.

capt chuck
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
This got my curiosity up so I went into a project with a multicam sequence and followed the same steps. For me it worked, I'm seeing different cameras on the monitor as I scrub.

I did notice that my first few cuts in PP were ones where I originally had cam1, cam2, cam1, and I later decided to make it cam1, cam1, cam1 and they all show up as separate layers in AE but when I scrubbed far enough I saw the cameras switching.

Bruce Watson
07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
...in the monitor I'm only seeing one camera angle - the camera angles no longer change as a scrub through the AE timeline. Nor do the camera angles change in the PP timeline.

What might I be doing wrong?

At this stage I don't know. I've never had this *not* work for me, so I've got no experience trouble shooting it. Sorry.

sladen
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Ok I solved the mystery... to get multi cam to work with Dynamic Link in AE, I need to first export an XML file, then reimport it in PP, and finally link to AE. This situation was previously discussed here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1005300#1005300

Still curious why this step is required for some people but not others.