PDA

View Full Version : Here's the deal...

dmac8
07-28-2012, 08:20 AM
I still have my iMac 2.1GHz G5 (10.4.11) and FCS (FCP 5.0.4) -- but I want to play around with HD for the first time.

I know my stuff seems obsolete now, but I'm much more writer/director (of shorts) than editor -- and more editor than DP.

My question is this: Should I buy an old HVX200 (along with Barry's books/dvds)? Will an HPX170 even work with my rig? Will any other cams work?

Is this a viable path to take at this point -- or am I kidding myself?

I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping to squeeze a little more out of my dinosaur; but it might be even more expensive (like buying a Super 8 and film as DV is coming out) to purchase an older cam and have them both be useless shortly after.

Sorry for the newbie vibe but I spend much more time in Final Draft than Final Cut Pro. And camera tech always seems to be sprinting away from me.

Any advice?

thanks

Gary Huff
07-28-2012, 09:45 AM
My question is this: Should I buy an old HVX200 (along with Barry's books/dvds)? Will an HPX170 even work with my rig? Will any other cams work?

Both the HVX-200 and the HPX-170 shoot DVCPRO HD to P2 cards, so you can have your choice. HDV cameras will probably also work fine. You can even deal with AVCHD either converting to DVCPRO HD (with a free utility from Panasonic) or converting to ProRes.

I don't see why you couldn't make that work. Your system should be able to handle DVCPRO HD and ProRes transcodes just fine I would imagine.

dmac8
07-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Both the HVX-200 and the HPX-170 shoot DVCPRO HD to P2 cards, so you can have your choice. HDV cameras will probably also work fine. You can even deal with AVCHD either converting to DVCPRO HD (with a free utility from Panasonic) or converting to ProRes.

I don't see why you couldn't make that work. Your system should be able to handle DVCPRO HD and ProRes transcodes just fine I would imagine.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I just did an Erase and Install then reinstalled FCS as well. I had updated Quicktime to 7.6.4 but using latter QT with older FCP seems to be asking for trouble. I'm going to use QT 7.1.6 with FCP 5.0.4 and OS X 10.4.11 for my dip into HD.

Is there detailed info regarding working with DVCPRO HD (from HVX/HPX P2) in older FCP versions in Barry Green's books/dvds?
Or do they just focus on using the camera itself?

thanks

Gary Huff
07-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Is there detailed info regarding working with DVCPRO HD (from HVX/HPX P2) in older FCP versions in Barry Green's books/dvds?

Barry's book just focuses on the camera. However, the Internet is a veritable smorgasbord of information, and if you Google topics about importing DVCPRO HD into Final Cut Pro I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers.

dmac8
07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Barry's book just focuses on the camera. However, the Internet is a veritable smorgasbord of information, and if you Google topics about importing DVCPRO HD into Final Cut Pro I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers.

Thanks

And I've been Googling my brains out; but the amount of info -- in bits and pieces across too many sources -- is overwhelming and sometimes contradictory.

groveChuck
07-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Try asking in the HVX/HPX section, you should be able to get help there (though there's less traffic there now than earlier).
I'm on Premiere so I can't offer you any tips on FCP.

good luck!

dmac8
07-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Try asking in the HVX/HPX section, you should be able to get help there (though there's less traffic there now than earlier).
I'm on Premiere so I can't offer you any tips on FCP.

good luck!

Yeah, I was going to put my first post there or in the NLE area -- but I opted to start here instead.

And I've actually read a lot of what's in the HVX/HPX section already.

thanks