PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad

Robbie Comeau
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I've always thought this show had a kick ass intro, so I've finally made the time to make it my self in After Effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWJjndhyovM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I tried my best for timing and to do an exact replica, but obviously you can never get it the same..

Let me know what you guys think!

Rob

Gord.T
07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I think it's too long. Basically , imo. Try ramping up the speed by about 70% or more until the credits at about 0:14. Don't worry about the audio for now. imo. Looks good otherwise.

//edit: Well, here, let me download it and play with it in Vegas for a bit. It'll give me something to do for an hour or so.

//edit: Sorry. I downloaded the file as mp4 with YouTube downloader and Vegas won't open it. I'm not going to trouble shoot. Good luck though.

seven.b
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Rob, looks pretty good! Nice job. Did you use a camera and 3D layers? if so, enable depth of field in the camera settings and crank the blur level up a bit. You'll see the orig breaking bad intro had the various elements out of focus as they appear on-screen.

regnaleb79
07-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Hey it's pretty good! Just drop that drop shadow!;)

Robbie Comeau
07-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Gord, it's actually shorter than the original version. Thanks guy, I don't think I have a drop shadow anywhere? I can double check.

Rob

TheDingo
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Please don't take any of this personally, I'm just adding my 2 cents...

I didn't mind the length, but what's missing for me is the "artistic" graphics, which are mottled and partly transparent, so that nothing being animated has a clean edge to it. Your animation looks a bit like a bunch of Scrabble tiles being moved around, and the smoke at the end has no transparency to it.

regnaleb79
07-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Didn't you add drop shadow to the letters on the periodic table? Or is it a stroke?

Gord.T
07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Gord, it's actually shorter than the original version. ...

Figures. I'd probably say the same thing about the original too. Just presenting my opinions and not as fact, so -cheers.
It does look good though Rob. Congrats.

Robbie Comeau
07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey guys,

Since I was just doing this for fun, I wasn't to concerned on graphics for the periodic table. Yes I could have built my own periodic table with cool transparency squares, with depth...but that would take forever. Instead, I just downloaded one from google. The rest is what you guys see.

If this was a paid gig, obviously I'd put my heart and soul into it ;) I just did this in an hour or so.

Rob

TheDingo
07-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Since I was just doing this for fun, I wasn't to concerned on graphics for the periodic table.

...But for me, if you take away the gorgeous graphics, then you're left with something that's almost the equivalent of a 3D model wire-frame, which works great as a place-holder until you can do the real thing, otherwise why bother?

Building your own version and trying to get it as close to the original as possible is a great learning experience ( you learn what's truly easy and what's a giant pain in the *ss to build ), so that when you want to make something of your own at that level of visual design you will know how much work is involved, how to quote it, and how to actually execute it.

...I have a few spec commercials I want to shoot, but I won't shoot anything until I am sure I can produce something that looks competitive to what's being done in the broadcast world, otherwise it's a waste of my time and does nothing to further my portfolio.

regnaleb79
07-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey Rob, don't get me wrong here, it looks pretty good and if I wasn't a huge BB fan I probably would have missed it. But you should have mentioned what you wanted us to critic. Too many times I do this myself, like practicing a technique and showing it to someone and the first thing they see is not what you wanted to show but some details that you didn't care about. Yesterday I wanted to do an HDR-type advertising of my dad's Dodge Ram, just because he likes it so much. His first comment was: "The house behind it looks dirty...".

Robbie Comeau
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes - makes sense. Some good points there. Thanks.

Give me another challenge! Not to much 3D though.. haha