PDA

View Full Version : Converting 30p > 60p - Best methods of interpolation?

salils
07-20-2012, 05:42 AM
What are the best methods of converting 30p to 60p using interpolation on a Mac? Have some home videos that were shot at 30p instead of 60p on accident. Fortunately the shutter speed was still set to 1/120. I typically prefer to shoot home videos at 60p or 60i to give that "reality" feeling. I've been out of the post scene for a few years now so please excuse my ignorance. :p Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lowlypawn
07-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Just wondering why would you want to convert 30P to 60P? BTW If you upload a 60 FPS video to Youtube it will chop is down to 30 FPS (I don't know if Vimeo does the same)

I believe the best results could be achieved by using Twixtor or a similar program.

Interpolate almost always looks better then blend IMHO (at least in Sony Vegas).

salils
07-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Just wondering why would you want to convert 30P to 60P?

I typically prefer to shoot home videos at 60p or 60i to give that "reality" feeling.

Thanks, will see if my old version of Twixtor still works. Any other ideas are welcome.

David Jimerson
07-22-2012, 06:50 AM
What do you want to do with it?

Are you trying to make the motion of 30p appear like the motion of 60p? You really won't be able to do this.

If you're just trying to export 30p in a 60p stream and still want it to look like 30p, then disable resample so that it simply repeats frames. Then, you won't get any interpolation artifacts.

salils
07-22-2012, 09:09 AM
What do you want to do with it?

Are you trying to make the motion of 30p appear like the motion of 60p? You really won't be able to do this.

If you're just trying to export 30p in a 60p stream and still want it to look like 30p, then disable resample so that it simply repeats frames. Then, you won't get any interpolation artifacts.
Trying achieve that 60p feeling that we all hate but see in new TVs playing movies at Best Buy. :p.

bluesgeek
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I know everyone has turned off the lights and gone home, but I thought to mention that if you don't have Twixtor, Mac users can use the old Compressor method. Turn on Frame Controls and set Retiming Control to Better Motion Compensated. Keep duration at 100%.

David Jimerson
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Trying achieve that 60p feeling that we all hate but see in new TVs playing movies at Best Buy. :p.

You really can't.