PDA

View Full Version : How did the do this?

Postmaster
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
How did they do this? (2:39)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pviRVpqW2KA

Paul F
07-19-2012, 12:12 PM
They are using an aircraft for a lot of the early shots (RC-helicopter?), so I assume the same was used for that shot. The speed up of the footage does make it look tricky. Perhaps at regular speed, it would be more obvious to judge if it could be pulled off by an RC helicopter.

swopiv
07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I can think of ways, but they would cost! Lots of cameras and programmable rigs required. I wonder if they had a large budget for this video, or if they have found a super cool low budget way of getting these effects. Lets hope it was the latter and they share it! :thumbup:

John Morrison
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Mostly looks like stacked overlaid edits of the same clip to me (i.e., overlay each stacked clip - or the same clip - and nudge a few frames forward)... probably wrong though

capt chuck
07-19-2012, 04:38 PM
My guess is that they set up a number of cameras (fewer than in a typical matrix style effect because of the physical location limitations) and then interpolated between the cameras. Microsoft demonstrated some software a few years ago that could do the interpolation and did effects like this (although just in the horizontal plane) with very few cameras.

EDIT - here is the very technical description of it: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/larryz/ZitnickSig04.pdf

Paul F
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Ignore my ignorance. I didn't bother to notice it was a freeze frame move.

It looks to be a CG shot in between the two different live action shots.

[edit] I think they speed up the shot not only for effect but to also help cover up the the transition to/from CG. It would be much tougher for the CG shot to hold up at regular speed.

bruceallen
07-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice find!

Totally agree - basically it's a 3D matte painting shot. Done lots of those.

1. Set up a couple of cameras capturing it from different perspectives...
2. Using 3D app of your choice, map what you shot onto rough geometry (including making the kite parachute wing thing as a textured 3D object)
3. Continue painting the rough geometry as a matte painting
4. Add in CG camera and cool move with correct lens distortion.

I dunno... probably cost about $2000 in labor? 2-3 days if they have someone very good on it, with the right tools. Much longer if using mid-level people / software.

Obviously add on plenty more time / money if editors / directors don't have a clear idea and screw around with it, but I think these guys knew what they were doing.

Personally I also liked the compositing at 1:20 or so. Clever to add the flare in afterwards!

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com (http://www.boacinema.com)

Postmaster
07-20-2012, 01:31 AM
That's what also came to my mind, camera mapping and a bit of 3D geometry, the shute looks somewhat fake during that move.
But actually they did some very nice work, also at the other shots. Only the lighting of the bar scene is kind a meh.
Frank