PDA

View Full Version : Timecode and sequence / shot generators - slow renders?

kawasakiguy37
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm editing together some animatics from a series of .jpegs drawn by our board artist and having a big issue with render times. The people I'm delivering too want a timecode and sequence / shot numbers burned into the final output, but when I add a timecode generator in FCP 7 it significantly extends my render time. I can do a full res export WITHOUT the two numbering systems in about ~6 minutes, but when I add both these in it jumps up to ~ 2 hours. The machines were running here are mac pros with 16 gigs of ram and decent specs - so I don't think the hardware is holding us back (besides the fact that FCP7 is 32 bit - hence only 4 gigs are used)

Does anybody know of a faster way to get timecode and sequence / shot numbers onto our export? Is it the fault of the FCP timecode generator or is this something unavoidable as it has to render each frame individually? I've been looking into using premiere (which I am actually more familiar with) and some type of plugin, but not with much luck.

adkimery
07-17-2012, 11:29 PM
To ease the rendering time make the JPEGs as small as is usable. By that I mean, if you are working in 720p don't drop a 4k JPEG in the timeline. Adding on the TC filter (either in Compressor or in FCP itself) can add a lot of time to the export. How exactly are you exporting?

kawasakiguy37
07-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Jpegs are already at the correct res

Im exporting either uncompressed which turns out to be quite large or for web delivery an h264 with a keyframe every 1-2 frames, VBR two pass high quality