PDA

View Full Version : I'm Feeling Dumb Today!

BLUESPIDER
06-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I just shot some FX1 footage at 1080i. Would I be able to use the miniDV tape in a DVX for capture. I haven't tried since I don't have the tape at the moment but I figured it wouldn't be possible. Anyone has answers?

Thanks!

Rosestar
06-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Dude,
No way... the DVX can not playback HDV. Totally incompatible formats.

BLUESPIDER
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Dude,
No way... the DVX can not playback HDV. Totally incompatible formats.

yeah, I'd figured. I was just alittle courious. Thanks! :beer:

Rosestar
06-26-2005, 06:28 PM
yeah, I'd figured. I was just alittle courious. Thanks! :beer:

No problem... remember we are here for you....

Anhar Miah
06-26-2005, 06:54 PM
even if you can't play the tape in the DVX maybe you can still firewire it to your PC and try, its just data after all?

has anyone tried this?

Jarred Land
06-26-2005, 08:34 PM
no doesnt work.

Rosestar
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
no doesnt work.

How about just playing the tape out as a video source. Does it give funky digital noise that you can capture and funk up some more?

BLUESPIDER
06-26-2005, 08:58 PM
This is my delima right now. I now got the tape from the FX1 footage I shot and now I can't capture the darn thing! I can't get acess to that camera anymore. I'm stuck with a tape with no ability at all to playback. I have to wait 1month to get that camera back. Plus too broke to rent one. :(

Is there any special Macgyver rig I can do?

Rosestar
06-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Duct tape.....

Yeah, duct tape that hands, feet and mouth of an FX1 owner and run real fast out the door....

With the camera of course.

ShannonRawls
06-26-2005, 10:06 PM
This is my delima right now. I now got the tape from the FX1 footage I shot and now I can't capture the darn thing! I can't get acess to that camera anymore. I'm stuck with a tape with no ability at all to playback. I have to wait 1month to get that camera back. Plus too broke to rent one. :(

Is there any special Macgyver rig I can do?

Where do you live? I'm assuming the "City of Battambang" is not a real place. You can use my Z1 if you're in the L.A. area. Im not doing anything with it right now.

- ShannonRawls.com

BLUESPIDER
06-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Where do you live? I'm assuming the "City of Battambang" is not a real place. You can use my Z1 if you're in the L.A. area. Im not doing anything with it right now.

- ShannonRawls.com

Heh, City of Battambang, Cambodia is where I was born. I actually live in Northern Cali. But thanks for the offer Shannon! I give you mad props! :beer:

mike dawson
06-27-2005, 07:52 AM
yes you can import as minidv but not hdv. it will still be 16:9 but not hi-def

Barry_Green
06-27-2005, 09:01 AM
You must have a Sony HDV camera or deck in order to digitize it. No way around that.

If it's a paying gig, there should be someone local who can rent you one for a day (or an hour). If you have a laptop, maybe you could talk the guys at Fry's or Circuit City into looking the other way while you pull the footage in off their floor model... ;)

You'll need to have an HDV-compatible editor as well, in order to be able to capture. Or something like CineForm Connect HD.

Jarred Land
06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
You must have a Sony HDV camera or deck in order to digitize it. No way around that.

If it's a paying gig, there should be someone local who can rent you one for a day (or an hour). If you have a laptop, maybe you could talk the guys at Fry's or Circuit City into looking the other way while you pull the footage in off their floor model... ;)

You'll need to have an HDV-compatible editor as well, in order to be able to capture. Or something like CineForm Connect HD.

or you can buy the camera from circuit city, use it for a day then return it, if they charge you a $20 or so restocking fee its kinda worth it.

BLUESPIDER
06-27-2005, 02:48 PM
or you can buy the camera from circuit city, use it for a day then return it, if they charge you a $20 or so restocking fee its kinda worth it.

I was actually thinking that but then I don't have $3000 dollars. It's all good, not really that important! Project is not due till Christmas. Thanks for all your suggestions guys! :beer:

STORYTELLER32
06-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Got a suggestion for you Spider-

Don't know if you run a mac or a PC. If it's a mac (and you have an external firewire drive), go find your local apple store. From what I understand, most of them carry an FX1 camera to demonstrate HDV capabilities of FCP5. If you make friends with some of the classroom instructors there, they might (just might) allow you to use the camera at the store to capture your footage to one of their macs and transfer the files to your external drive. Take a shot. Worst that can happen is they'll say no-

Zig_Zigman
06-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Rent a cam for a day for $250.00 in SF. Shoot more footage, then dump the new footage and the old footage into the computer that night.

Erik Olson
06-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Fly to the NC on Independence Air (don't forget to bring the tape) cause we've got ten of those Z1U rigs working right now.

e

BLUESPIDER
06-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Fly to the NC on Independence Air (don't forget to bring the tape) cause we've got ten of those Z1U rigs working right now.

e

Cool, I'll book a flight tommorow morning! Seriously, what the heck are you doing with 10 Z1U's? You shoot sport events? Midget wrestling? Nerds gone wild?

:thumbsup:

It's cool, I now have a camera now! It's just a matter of time till it falls on my lap litterally. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :beer:

Erik Olson
06-29-2005, 08:46 PM
:lipsrseal

NDA

e