PDA

View Full Version : Motion Capture thecnique-step by step

bowie_rascal
06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I want to Have a Creature in My movie. like E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. What are the technology i need to use to have the creature to interact with humans, and sleep in the bed, drink water, run, talk etc. i know i need to use motion capture. can anyone tell me the process in detail please. thank you

C Lehmann
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
If you don't know any more than this you are in serious trouble. The process is very complicated and usually involves many professionals, each specializing in a certain task in the workflow. A basic rundown of steps/skills involved include.

3D modeling your creature
Texturing your creature
Rigging your creature
Motion capture (AFAIK still requires expensive technology and/or a special studio space)
Animation of your creature (even with motion capture everything has to be tweaked and things like facial expressions are often done by hand)
Matching lighting on your creature with set lighting
Matching camera movement on set and tracking in 3D
Rendering and compositing your creature into live footage
Possible green screen setup and lighting for recording scenes involving interaction with the creature
Some practical VFX for interacting with objects (moving sheets on a bed for example)

Most of these skills take years to get to a level where they look acceptable. There is no real simple way of doing this, and a lot of the software used for this costs many thousands of dollars. The good news is that there are many new VFX artists out there who are looking to pad their demo reel. Sometimes you'll come across people looking for interesting projects to work on.

Sorry to break it to you like that, good luck on your project!