PDA

View Full Version : Film Maker since I was 8

Eddie Dean
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone. I'm Eddie from Tallahassee, FL. I'm 16, and I've been filming and editing for about 8 years now. It's been my passion, and I'm currently working on getting a scholarship to Florida State University's Film School.

I currently own an AG-DVX100A, which was mostly used to record church sermons. It has low hours (75) and has no flaws, and I'm listing it for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320920359661?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1215
I also use a Nikon D3100 in films.

My main question is this,
I want a new camera. An HD Camera. I'm looking to use the money I get from the DVX plus some, therefore I'm willing to spend no more than $1,300,
seeing money is tight, and my job doesn't pay me too well. But, am looking at the Sony HDR-FX1, and the Z1U , and they have reasonable prices. Can any of you guys help me out and tell me some good HD Cameras ? I've searched, but the Z1U and FX1 look like what I need, but they're just so old. :(

Thanks!

dop16mm
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I'd think long and hard about why you feel you need HD. The dvx is far more cinematic than the sony's you have listed, and in wide can look really good on a big screen. The camera you have now is in pristine condition and you know it. There is no guarantee of the quality you'll get from another old camera. Unless you are operating a business, and financially motivated by client demands, I'd keep what you have and use it to the best of your abilities.

I don't know what the competition is for schalarships, but as a high school student, I'd seriously doubt they'd judge your reel based on if it is hd or not, but rather the creative use of light, sound, composition etc.

Eddie Dean
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Well, that's why I loved the DVX, and I put 75 hours on it, and just eventually, I wanted to move up, to be more movie-istic.
I have booms, cobracrane, and what not. I edit in Vegas Pro 7 as well as Final Cut Pro, and I know how to make video, and do it to the best of my ability, but the only thing lacking is the quality. I really want to be able to use my Nikon as well, while filming a movie, and having 2 cameras that produce 1080i is a plus, but having 1 camera in HD and the other in SD makes me completely lack half of a setup.

Thanks though.

John Caballero
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
If you are doing narrative or documentary style work then get the GH2 and hack it. Despite what others might say the 14-140 is an excellent lens. It might slow in low light but just get a few lights and learn to use them. Get the camera and lens combo. A hacked GH2, even with the modest speed ones, produces one heck of a beautiful filmic image. Is like a DVX100 image but on steroids! And is right there within your budget.