PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Pro CS5.5 filling up my s†artup disc on Mac OSX 10.6

NBside
06-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey everyone...So Im having a bit of a debacle.
I consider myself to be quite the Mac nerd/connoisseur, however, for whatever reason (maybe my lack of sleep), I cant seem to figure this out.

I have been working on cutting together an updated showreel on one of my editing machines. Prior to creating the PPro project, I had roughly 20+ GB of free space left on my startup disk. So, I created a project as normal on one of my network server drives, and ensured that all scratch disc settings were set to the same drive and directory. I'm pretty particular about file structure and organization. That being said, once inside PPro I began importing files into my project...all said and done, it was roughly 350-500GB of video files. As soon as the video was imported, I got a "System Disk Is Low On Space" warning. So, I checked my disc, and sure as s##t I only had 4.7MB of space left!?

Generally speaking, I know where pretty much every file on my systems are. I checked the usual suspects, looking for residual files that PPro may have defaulted to my system disc. I couldn't find anything. Obviously, something is taking up a large portion of my startup disc. So, just to be certain, I removed all of the files from my PPro project, and deleted the project file. Within a few moments, all of the space re-appeared on my startup disc.

So, my question for all you super mac users even more capable than myself... Where in the hell is PPro putting all of this data, and how can I re-assign it to another drive? Im sure its something simple, like a cache, but none of my efforts or searches have turned anything up... anyone have a clue?

Thanks all!

P.S. For those who may want to know... The system Specs are as follows.

Apple Mac Pro - Quad Core 2.66GHz
Running OSX 10.6.8
13GB of Ram
Radeon 5770 HD -1GB VRam
System Disk is S-ATA WDC 250GB 7200RPM
Running Premiere Pro CS5.5
Also attached are 6 Various USB and Firewire drives, and networked to a media server via Ethernet.

NBside
06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Well then...Apparently it was because of my lack of sleep. I took a nap and figured it out. It was my caches, though I previously had them assigned to an external device. Perhaps it defaulted back when I upgraded to CS5.5...

Ill have to look out for that again, as Im about to upgrade to CS6.