PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Absurd Service Costs

Lee Saxon
06-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Finally got around to pursuing repair for this (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?272719-GH2-X-Thirty-screwed-up-my-camera) camera.

Reputable manufacturers send you an estimate if they can fix your camera.

Panasonic charges $300 just to send it in, presumably with no guarantees. Get the eff out of here.

Think anyone would buy a GH2 that shoots perfect video but can't be used for stills?

keylight
06-02-2012, 06:38 AM
$325 Flat rate to service the camera, whatever the problem, if it's out of warranty (this according to Marco at Panasonic's repair facility in McAllen, TX). My GH2 had a fried main board. They fixed it. They'll quote you one price online (which you have to pay) and then send you an email with a much higher price, which is wrong. Call them and they'll give you the real price - $325. Took a bunch of calls before I finally reached Marco in McAllen, TX, and he was the one who finally told me the system that spits out the repair quote system doesn't have the fixed price option in it, even though he said it should. So to repair the GH2, it's the same price - $325 - regardless of the problem.

Edit: I see you're in NOLA, so you'll probably be sending it to McAllen, TX.

Lee Saxon
06-02-2012, 11:52 AM
The issue isn't the amount. I think a third of the camera's msrp is a little steep, but that's life.

The issue is that they're not charging $300 to fix it but to evaluate whether it can be fixed. What if it can't?

maranfilms
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
PANISONIC. They have some of the worst, if not the worst customer service I have ever dealt with, and that epic fail Panisonic direct, is useless.

It's a good thing pani make good products. Because if a lot of the customers had to deal with their service, they would either need to make a complete over haul, or would go under. They should swallow their pride and observe Canon, and see how it should be done. Canon has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. It's like night and day between the two. Plus it makes you think twice about buying Panisonic.

Razz16mm
06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
The firewire port on my Canon GL2 died recently. There is a $300 flat rate to fix anything.

keylight
06-02-2012, 04:16 PM
The issue isn't the amount. I think a third of the camera's msrp is a little steep, but that's life.

The issue is that they're not charging $300 to fix it but to evaluate whether it can be fixed. What if it can't?

Why wouldn't they be able to fix it? My main board fried from a bad Panasonic AC Adapter (or the DC coupler). They replaced the whole board.

The firewire port on my Canon GL2 died recently. There is a $300 flat rate to fix anything.

Yes, but he has a GH2 not a Canon, and the repair facility that fixes GH2 cameras is, I believe, actually owned and operated by Panasonic....

blazer003
06-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm digging up a bit of the old thread, but just curious if in the trouble shooting, if you went into Program (for still pictures) mode and pressed video record button, did the video come through fine then? Then, did you try taking a photo while recording video, and how'd that turn out? Just curious.