PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Synchro scan problem

HotConductor
05-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I was on a shoot a few days ago in which I ran into ye olde synchro scan issue... The GH2 does not have a 1/48 mode so I'm stuck at 40, 50 or any of the other standard shutter speeds. As a result, the LED lights on this shoot were going crazy. They didn't like any shutter speed on the GH2, so ultimately I went back (same day, same shoot) and covered those shots with my HMC150, which had no problem with the lights since it can handle variable scan rates for filming TV/LED lights and other crazy subjects.

In short, have any of you found a workaround for that problem? I have several GH2s and use them every day. This is one of the FEW problems I have encountered with them. If there is no real workaround for filming lcd/led monitors and led lights, then I can deal with that, just thought I'd ask.

Thank you in advance!

stefancolson
05-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I've never had a problem with the GH2 and LEDs, Fluoros, or Televisions/Monitors. FWIW, my go to light kit is mostly LEDs and Fluorescent panels and either 1/40 or 1/50 usually does the trick without issue. What kind of LED panels were on set?

HotConductor
05-26-2012, 09:45 AM
1/50 is my go-to rate. I was shooting 1080/30 on this shoot (my preference is 1080/24, not my decision). 1/60 and 1/50 were both unbearable. 1/40 yielded 'ok' results but still tons of rolling lights.

I have run into this problem before, but always been able to find a shutter speed that the lights were ok with. This time the lights were just unhappy no matter what I did. They were very compact LED light fixtures throughout the complex. I have a feeling they were extremely new lights but I don't know anything aside from that. My HMC150 handled it without issue by just running it at 1080/30 (again, my preference is 24p) without altering the shutter speed. Any other shutter speed yielded death.

No lighting kit on this one. Tour video.