PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Settings for semi-automatic shooting of video (non-pro, run & gun)

jbcon
05-25-2012, 05:00 AM
I just got my GH2 yestarday and obviously am still learning my way around it. But after shooting about an hour of footage over the last 12 hours, applying multiple hacks as well as do A-B comparison's between settings it has become very clear that the GH2 is much more indepth than the Gh13 I am use to.

When I use to carry my GH1 on for example vacation, or when I am doing spontaneous shooting; I keep things pretty mild as far as the hack, and settings. But I always knew I had flexibility with going totally manual should I see something I wanted to grab a shot of that was a less than ideal scenerio. With the GH2 I am finding that it is a totally different beast.

Yestarday I shot about 45 mins of footage using a combination of stock, and several other hacks including, Driftwoof Rockv3 and Cake 2.3. My goal on the hack end was to get up around 40-50m/sec and have the best quality video I could at that speed and still be able to do hand-held pans and other movement while shooting 24p.

Problem is every single piece of footage in 24H mode and 24L is jumpy as you know what.... even after making sure my speed was double the frame rate as far as shutter didn't help. It got to the point that my wife started saying she wouldn't watch anything I shot if it looked like that.

Admittedly I am new to the camera and settings, and need to still find a hack that works for me but at this point I do not feel the hack is the problem...

Big question for me, is there an automatic setting that will work in 24H that will help generate smooth video when paning etc. I can't beleive its the camera and have to assume I am not doing something right being that I am so new to it... I did discover the morning, that in the Video menu I can set the Exposure mode to P (Priority), versus the recommended M(Manual) and it seems to give me the before mention automatic mode for run-and gun, and the jitter is less when panning, but it is still there and what I don't know, since this is a photography camera first how do I know the SS will always remain at twice the frame rate to help with the smoothness. I assume it will not....

Thoughts for a frustrated newby? About the only thing I haven't done is cook a stock Rom with extended ISO unlocked and all the settings at minimum, but again.. I suspect my problem is less to do with hacks and more to do with my settings.

Grisnjam
05-25-2012, 06:52 AM
I just got my GH2 yestarday and obviously am still learning my way around it. But after shooting about an hour of footage over the last 12 hours, applying multiple hacks as well as do A-B comparison's between settings it has become very clear that the GH2 is much more indepth than the Gh13 I am use to.

When I use to carry my GH1 on for example vacation, or when I am doing spontaneous shooting; I keep things pretty mild as far as the hack, and settings. But I always knew I had flexibility with going totally manual should I see something I wanted to grab a shot of that was a less than ideal scenerio. With the GH2 I am finding that it is a totally different beast.

Yestarday I shot about 45 mins of footage using a combination of stock, and several other hacks including, Driftwoof Rockv3 and Cake 2.3. My goal on the hack end was to get up around 40-50m/sec and have the best quality video I could at that speed and still be able to do hand-held pans and other movement while shooting 24p.

Problem is every single piece of footage in 24H mode and 24L is jumpy as you know what.... even after making sure my speed was double the frame rate as far as shutter didn't help. It got to the point that my wife started saying she wouldn't watch anything I shot if it looked like that.

Admittedly I am new to the camera and settings, and need to still find a hack that works for me but at this point I do not feel the hack is the problem...

Big question for me, is there an automatic setting that will work in 24H that will help generate smooth video when paning etc. I can't beleive its the camera and have to assume I am not doing something right being that I am so new to it... I did discover the morning, that in the Video menu I can set the Exposure mode to P (Priority), versus the recommended M(Manual) and it seems to give me the before mention automatic mode for run-and gun, and the jitter is less when panning, but it is still there and what I don't know, since this is a photography camera first how do I know the SS will always remain at twice the frame rate to help with the smoothness. I assume it will not....

Thoughts for a frustrated newby? About the only thing I haven't done is cook a stock Rom with extended ISO unlocked and all the settings at minimum, but again.. I suspect my problem is less to do with hacks and more to do with my settings.

For pure run and gun I use 'S' mode. For 24p you will want to pin the shutter speed at 1/50 or 1/60 and set the ISO to auto (map it to a Custom mode). This ensures you have the proper 180 degree shutter while letting the camera float both the ISO and aperture. Other tips include using weighted center metering to avoid super jumpy iris changes. All this assumes you are use native u43 lenses with electronic and step-less aperture control.

Virtually all my family videos (see my vimeo account) were shot this way. This allows you to frame a shot, grab focus and mash record without worrying about getting exposure nailed by hand.

The downfall of this is that as you pan or your subject subtly moves the camera may 'hunt' the aperture causing flux in the exposure. A more advanced step in this mode is to use the AE lock button. So you frame a shot, let the camera set the exposure then press the AE lock button (make sure it is in hold mode) and now the exposure won't change at all. But be careful you toggle it off before the next shot so the camera can re-expose.

Good luck!

(I have not messed with the Hacks yet since I do a lot of event work and need to be able to shot for unlimited amounts of time but I doubt that is your issue. Also you have to pan slow, slow, slow in 24p)