PDA

View Full Version : GH2 GH2 built-in image stabilization vs. GH1

jbcon
05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Is there any difference here? Just got my Gh2 today and the footage I have shot seems to be really hard to get looking right when hand-held. Even on a monopod I can not get the camera as steady seemingly as my GH1 was hand-held.

Did they change the settings or something. Using the same lense on each camera (14-140mm Kit) its very different...

Tesselator
06-21-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm new to the GH2 (from the GH1) as well but from what I've read and seen in the menus the GH2 as 3 stabilization modes:

Mode 1 (default) - continuous stabilization
Mode 2 - stabilizes the image when the shutter is pressed
Mode 3 - stabilizes only up and down movement

Mode 3 is supposed to be for panning so that's that. I would have assumed that Mode 2 is only energy conservation over Mode 1 and thus for saving battery life - but I've read several places where users claim that Mode 2 offers about 20% more stabilization over Mode 1. That seems strange to me but who am I to doubt it having not tested it out myself.

Others may know more.

rambooc1
06-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Mode 2 and 3 are only for stills mode

Tesselator
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Do I remember right that the manual says that Mode 2 and Mode 3 are not even available when shooting video? I thought I read that but the manual is so freaking convoluted I might be misremembering...