PDA

View Full Version : GH2 GH2 best continuous autofocus?

svem
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I have the GH2 and Olympus 12mm f2.0 lens, and I was wondering if this was the best combo out there in the "DSLR" type camera systems with continuous autofocus for video? Is there a better camera and lens combo out there where you can keep the focus on auto while shooting video and it doesn't hunt for focus and does a good job keeping things in focus?

How does the new Olympus OMD-EM5 compare or the Sony cameras?

Just wondering.

gundar
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Svem,

I have found that autofocus never works well enough to be reliable for commercial video. For home videos, and some lower level stuff, its perfect, but people who pay don't like to see the blur in-and-out over and over again that you get with AF.

If AF is still what you're looking for, I understand that the Lumix 20mm 1.7 has decent capabilities in that regard.

mcbob
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
No, autofocus on the 20/1.7 sucks. It's slow and hunts.

The 25/1.4 is better, but still slow. Autofocus on the 14-140 is actually very good.

The 12/2 is far better than either.

The 7-14 is also very good, but largely because it's so ridiculously wide that (stopped down) everything is in focus anyway.

MR Fanny
05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
the 20mm is a pig for auto focus. i reach for the 14-140 if i need autofocus, its quite teh performer in daylight.

Grisnjam
05-25-2012, 06:38 AM
I have the GH2 and Olympus 12mm f2.0 lens, and I was wondering if this was the best combo out there in the "DSLR" type camera systems with continuous autofocus for video? Is there a better camera and lens combo out there where you can keep the focus on auto while shooting video and it doesn't hunt for focus and does a good job keeping things in focus?

How does the new Olympus OMD-EM5 compare or the Sony cameras?

Just wondering.

Make sure you have the updated GH2 firmware as they improved the AF. The only time I use AF is with the 12mm f2.0 and my GH2 on a steadi-cam. It is like magic.

Just make sure you set the focus area to be a large square in the center of the frame.