PDA

View Full Version : GH2 3rd party batterys that displays a meter?

seanothon
05-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Do any of the 3rd party batteries give you how much battery life is remaining?

gundar
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I've looked and none that I've seen.

When I brought up a similar question, a few members made some really good points.

The most pertinent being, if you're going to spend $800 on the body alone, do you really want to risk corrosion or permanent damage by putting a "cheapo" battery in it...?

I decided that I did not want to risk that and bought 2 lumix batteries off B&H... FREE SHIPPING IN US!

$100 gets you two extra batteries + the 1 it came with and you've got a full days shooting there.

seanothon
05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. I was going to buy one more lumix but I want some cheap backups

fastfinger
05-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Do any of the 3rd party batteries give you how much battery life is remaining?

As a new GH2 owner I think the metering is pretty poor. No time remaining just 3 bars. Once you are down one it seems a short time before battery is completely depleted. I did purchase a second OEM but have additionally ordered two Wasabi Japanese made batteries w charger. I've had good luck with these, and will just pop a new one in every couple hours or so.

Bruce Foreman
05-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I have the two Wasabi batteries with charger, I failed to see the note that they would NOT communicate with the camera.

Wish I had seen it.

I immediately ordered an OEM Lumix battery from B&H, also recently ordered a new GH2 with 14-42 "kit" lens. So until another Lumix battery I ordered yesterday comes in I have 3 (good) Lumix batteries between 2 cameras.

The ONLY thing I use the Wasabi batteries for is "testing" around the house and going through menus while I continue to learn these cams. I do NOT get the same performance out of them Lumix batteries give, they run down much quicker and when they go, it's very sudden with no warning.

Actually when that fourth Lumix battery comes in I just may turn the Wasabis in for recycling to prevent ANY chance of accidentally putting one in the camera on a real project.

I flat do NOT trust them.

Bruce Foreman
05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
As a new GH2 owner I think the metering is pretty poor. No time remaining just 3 bars. Once you are down one it seems a short time before battery is completely depleted.

At least there is some warning. Since I'm shooting mostly short "takes", it's no problem to change battery when the battery meter icon drops to one bar left. So to me when that "one bar" appears that is a "change battery now" indicator.

If shooting a scene when a Wasabi (or other 3rd party battery) charge depletes, you lose that scene (and also may risk card corruption) and what if that was the take where your actors gave you their best performance?

fastfinger
05-25-2012, 06:32 PM
The way I shoot my camera will be on non-stop so timing the change is pretty easy. But that is a good point about card corruption. Didn't know that was likely. I'll use the OEM as my principle batteries.
The Wasabi's I purchased for my Sony(HX9V) were chipped and actually better than the OEM. The OEM had a bar type battery meter where the Wasabi's were info lithium and showed the minutes remaining. Crazy but true, really don't get why Sony didn't include info lithium w that camera. Anyway having a few back-up batteries is always important to me. The second charger is a bonus.