PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum...but shooting video since 1986

markthoma
05-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Hey everybody,
Started shooting video (and getting paid for it) as a TV reporter 26 years ago. Now I hope to do a little production work with a Panasonic HVX200 that I bought second hand. Boy has a lot changed in since way back when. Big honkin' Ikegami tube cameras tied to a 30 pound Sony 3/4" recording deck via an umbilical cord. This stuff is so much simpler...(who am I kidding).
Anyhow I hope to use this forum to increase my knowledge of the equipment and procedures.
mark

MadMonkFish
05-20-2012, 08:18 AM
I started way back in the late 80's - mainly as a Director (but also did a lot of camera/editing/post and CGI - back when it was all in it's infancy in the pre-digtal days :)

It's a real playground now for anyone with older skills... imagine if, back in the 80's, we'd been able to have SD recording and then edit it in a non-linear way (without generational loss via 3 machine on-line etc) and use something like a laptop to deliver a package. - I used to dread the dub-tape LOL

There are plenty of old timers here... and young guns with a good knowledge base.

have fun!

Gary Huff
05-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Welcome, mark. I'm sure you will find a veritable wealth of information stored here amongst the discussion pages and I hope you're able to put it to good use!

David G. Smith
05-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Welcome Mark. Yeah, I started not long after you did, doing indie free lance work first on film, then video and then digital. A lot has changed technology wise, but the basics of making compelling moving images with sound are as important now as they ever have. DVXUSER is a real treasure trove for knowledge. Enjoy.