PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem with rotoscoping in AE.

ironpony
05-19-2012, 02:33 AM
I rotoscoped a person into a shot, and that worked fine. I then wanted to rotoscope another person in, but as soon as I tried the second person, the rest of the shot goes black. Still works with the first person, but anything more to put in goes black for the rest of the composition. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

bgodoy
05-19-2012, 08:23 AM
In theory, there shouldn't be a problem but perhaps the composition with the second person is carrying a certain effect or plugin that AE is "throwing out" when place in another composition. Try disabling all the effects in the second comp (or both comps) and see if that works. If not, can you'll need to provide more info (or at least a screen shot); it will help us better get to what's causing the issue.

-B

j1clark@ucsd.edu
05-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I rotoscoped a person into a shot, and that worked fine. I then wanted to rotoscope another person in, but as soon as I tried the second person, the rest of the shot goes black. Still works with the first person, but anything more to put in goes black for the rest of the composition. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Since I don't exactly know what you are doing, here's a guess... You are trying to roto the same clip, or the same layer in the composition. Put the clip on two different layers, then 'roto' each layer for the element you want.

There may be some way to 'combine' masks for the roto in the 'same' layer... but I think it would just be easier to make different layers for different roto elements.

ironpony
05-19-2012, 05:44 PM
You're right that's what I did. I did make another layer and do not have the blackness now. But I have another problem. The second person needs to be in front of the first person. The second person is behind the first person, but cannot bring that layer in front. How do I do that? Thanks.

j1clark@ucsd.edu
05-19-2012, 06:44 PM
You're right that's what I did. I did make another layer and do not have the blackness now. But I have another problem. The second person needs to be in front of the first person. The second person is behind the first person, but cannot bring that layer in front. How do I do that? Thanks.

The composition process starts with the lowest layer in the compostion (the one closest to the bottom of the composition window...), and moves to the top of the layer 'stack'. so if you want a layer 'on top', then you need to place it so that it is 'above' the other layers.

If you have conflicting layer areas, you have to work on the rotoscoped areas to just have only the elements for that layer...

Dragging the layer 'upward' will reposition the layer in the ordering. If the layer is to be the top most, sometimes one has to be careful to watch for the 'indication' of where the layer will be placed, there's a line that gets highlited/bolded as you drag the layer and that's where the layer will be placed.

ironpony
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Okay thanks it worked.

Michael Carter
05-29-2012, 04:26 PM
If you use multiple masks on the same layer, you have to look at the mask controls - "add" or "subtract" is the issue here; also, sometimes the "invert" checkbox is what you need.