PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Making a 45 minute film what are the GH2 essentials?

AdventMediaProductions
05-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Hey everybody,

I'm a film student and I just got asked to DP a 45 minute film.

I got a GH2 a few months ago so I'm still on the kit lens, but I figure this will be a good opportunity to invest in some better film making equipment.

Since I am a student I don't necessarily have a huge budget but let's just put it at $1000. If you had to shoot a 45 minute film and had $1000 to make your GH2 film ready what would you buy?

Some things that I think I will need are. Lenses (I might not buy these but can probably rent them but please still recommend a variety of cinematic lenses for me to use), some filters (ND filters, polarizers, ec.), follow focus and support system, possibly an external monitor (though that is definitely more of a luxury), and whatever else you guys think I need for a camera set up.

Thanks so much for the help and I look forward to hearing what you guys think!

David W. Jones
05-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Why do you feel the need to spend your own cash to buy gear to work on somebody else's film?

AdventMediaProductions
05-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Why do you feel the need to spend your own cash to buy gear to work on somebody else's film?

Well to be honest it's all stuff that I was planning to buy sooner or later for my own films/camera setup. This is just the impetus to look into the gear.

Jaime Valles
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
A Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 lens + m4/3 adapter = approx. $100 on eBay. That's probably the single easiest & cheapest thing you can buy to make your footage look more "cinematic." Also, get standard ND filters (.3, .6, .9, 1.2) which are much cheaper and better optical quality than any Variable ND filters out there. And get a good tripod with a fluid head. Sliders, jibs, dollies, cranes, and steadycams are neat, but not necessary.

FrameFarmMedia
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Also, get standard ND filters (.3, .6, .9, 1.2) which are much cheaper and better optical quality than any Variable ND filters out there.

Any brand suggestions? I've been looking and there are so many brands and prices. Would love to hear some real world feedback. If the OP doesn't want this in their topic I can send you a PM.

AdventMediaProductions
05-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Any brand suggestions? I've been looking and there are so many brands and prices. Would love to hear some real world feedback. If the OP doesn't want this in their topic I can send you a PM.

Please don't worry at all. I would love some good filter brand suggestions as well.

Jaime Valles
05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I got this kit from Tiffen:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674665-REG/Tiffen_77NDK3_77mm_Digital_Neutral_Density.html

It doesn't include a .3 ND filter, but that's only 1 stop, which I find not necessary for how I shoot. They do their job very well, with no color casts or loss of resolution.

I also got this Formatt graduated filter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567226-REG/Formatt_BF_77_SEND9GHD_77mm_Graduated_Neutral_Dens ity.html