PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Edelkrone FocusOne

Gymnut808
05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Well I just received my FocusOne from Edelkrone this morning and I was hoping to do a quick review of it and to use it on a music video shoot this weekend, however, it appears I've received a defective unit. Overall the build quality is very impressive, but the issue I've had with it was that something in the gearbox housing in the focus knob is either loose or completely broken. I'm unable to open the focus knob to have a look see but whatever it is, is rather large and rattles around whenever the knob is turned and when I turn the unit on its side and shake it, I can hear the object rattling around in there. It also affects the gear that turns the focus ring on the lens so it slips pretty badly.

Of course there's no port to use a whip or speed crank but since I pull my own focus, this doesn't really concern me. I have their Modula5 system which I've been impressed with so it was something of a letdown to have waited almost two months for this FF, only to have a defective unit. Since I also use a Manfrotto 392 low profile quick release system, I was concerned that the elevated height of the camera would be too great to use this FF, however it seems to be all right, even with the very narrow 12mm Hyperprime. I did purchase a five pack of their lens gears and had no problem attaching them to the 12mm Hyperprime, although it's a pretty tight fit getting the FF in there since that lens is so skinny.

Edelkrone's customer support has been pretty stellar, even with the delays with this FF, and in all likelihood I'll have to ship this back to Turkey(from Hawaii) and hope they're not completely out until the next batch ship. I did look at other FF systems and have owned RedRock's microFF, and would have considered spending the money on a Zacuto or a Letus FF, but looking at them I don't think they have any height adjustment(if any at all) that could reach from the Modula5 rail system to the lens+Manfrotto QR.

Just curious as to whether anyone else ordered one of these FFs and what their take on it was. They did receive a BlackDiamond award at NAB for their FocusPlus and FocusOne.

edelkrone
05-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Hello Gymnut,

We are sorry to hear about your problem. If you haven't already, please contact info@edelkrone.com with your order number, and your order will be revised for a replacement unit.

John Morrison
05-23-2012, 04:30 AM
I'm expecting delivery of a Modula9+ system at the end of this month and I'm pretty excited about it. The Modula9+ includes the FocusOne as part of the package. I'll write try to scrap up the time to write a short review on it and probably video some of it's assembly and it's use BTS in a short project. Main camera I'll expect to use it with is an HPX170 without a 35mm adapter but I'll try it with a Letus Extreme and various lenses as well just to see what can be done. I'm doubtful that much front-end weight could be balanced well. But, we'll see. Hopefully though, I'll soon be able to test it assembled with a Blackmagic Design Cinema camera as well. From the video and pictures on the site, it does look solid and very functional. It's hard waiting.

Gymnut808
05-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Hello Gymnut,

We are sorry to hear about your problem. If you haven't already, please contact info@edelkrone.com with your order number, and your order will be revised for a replacement unit.

Thank you; I've already been in contact with Mert; Great guy and I just received the additional five pack of lens gears(even though I was just expecting just the single lens gear that was part of my original order).

edelkrone
05-24-2012, 04:43 AM
Hello Gymnut,

Great to know, I just wanted to make sure.

muanwaver,

You actually get FocusPLUS+ with Modula 9+. That's our other follow focus system with handles & more. I am sure you will enjoy it, looking forward to your feedback once you receive the product.