PDA

View Full Version : Vimeo - Audio sync errors! Am I the only one?

analog_addict
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Couldn't find an appropriate forum to post this thread so stuck it here. Please feel free to move elsewhere mods.

For literally years Vimeo has plagued me. No matter what my settings my videos always drift out of sync, even if it's just a tiny bit they always drift out. These are sub 10min videos I'm talking about.

I have followed the Vimeo compression settings exactly, I've tried everything and cannot figure out how to get perfect sync on Vimeo. I recently uploaded the same video file to both Youtube and Vimeo. Vimeo went out of sync by about half a second and Youtube was spot on the whole way through.

Googling Vimeo sync problems shows that this problem isn't just me and it plagues many other people as well. The worst is when the project involved is a music video and the client thinks you've done a poor job syncing the audio :( I pay for Vimeo Plus but have recently been looking to switch to another host, unfortunately Vimeo is brilliant except for the sync problem!

Anyone else had this problem? Have you rectified it? Do you have a tried and tested list of settings for a 720P H.264 export? Please share!

Thanks!

Gary Huff
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Are you exporting at 44.1KHz? Try 48KHz instead if not and see if that fixes your issue.

analog_addict
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Are you exporting at 44.1KHz? Try 48KHz instead if not and see if that fixes your issue.

Tried exporting at 44.1 and 48 but it didn't appear to fix my problem. I usually always export at 48 but tried 44.1 on my last troublesome export. Same issue with audio slowly drifting out of sync.

Gary Huff
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
That's curious because my sync issues always occurred with a 44.1KHz export.

And you see none of this with your source files? Have you also tried another video streaming service, such as YouTube?

analog_addict
05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
That's curious because my sync issues always occurred with a 44.1KHz export.

And you see none of this with your source files? Have you also tried another video streaming service, such as YouTube?

Source files are fine. As said in my OP uploads to Youtube do not have sync errors.

kylevant
05-16-2012, 01:03 AM
These MP4 H.264 outputs can have so many underlying properties, and the Vimeo transcoder may be the only one sensitive to a certain combination of the properties. What encoder/NLE are you using? Try passing it through Avanti with FFMpeg (Vimeo actually uses FFMPEG for some of it's jobs): http://avanti.arrozcru.com/

kylevant
05-16-2012, 01:04 AM
And also try the Vimeo forums. The staff are very helpful, and would even inspect your original source file on their servers and then they should be able to tell you exactly what the issue is.