PDA

View Full Version : Iris/ISO function question

stevedocmaker
05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I've been pondering a purchase for a while now, and I'm still on the fence. I understand that the default setting allows the user to control lens iris via the control wheel and ISO via the joystic/function button. Is it possible to either reverse these settings, or even better have the wheel on the hand grip control one setting and the wheel on the body control the other?

I have read through the manual and it looks to me like once you switch ISO control to the control wheels, there's no way to adjust the iris. I find this to be a major drawback, and I'm really surprised if this is indeed the case. Remember the days before auto-everything - manufacturers put easy-to-use dials on their cameras for iris and shutter speed. How can Canon claim this is a documentary dream camera with such cumbersome control over such vital functions? Is there any chance this can be corrected in a firmware release? (Given how long it took for Canon to update the original 5DII firmware I won't be holding my breath).

stephmcc
05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
The ISO function is a discreet button which toggles through ISO, shutter angle and WB in sequence much like DSLRs. There's actually a small joy stick on the hand grip so I find I'm able to work my way through it pretty reflexively at any of the multiple points on the body where those controls live. I tend to treat the ISO setting in much the way i would on a film camera - a deliberate re-setting rather than spinning dials on the fly so this hasn't been a problem. One of the nice hidden gems in the menus is that you have the option to set the aperture control for half stop, 1/3 stop or "fine" increments. "Fine" subdivides the 1/3 stop into three or four clicks so it's possible to bracket exposure on the fly with less abrupt detents.

Graham King
05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
I set button 1 to ISO. Easy

alpi69
05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I also set the "headphone-volume" button to ISO (Button 5). It is exactly where the gain switch is on every broadcast camera on the left bottom of the cam.

I donīt think you can give the wheels different functions. The wheels and the joysticks on the cam and grip are doing the same. You can change direction and probably assign different functions to the wheel, but not different functions to cam-wheel and grip-wheel. But study the manual 8it is available at Canon for download). Maybe I am wrong.

stevedocmaker
05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
OK, I guess I did not notice that there is a joystick on the grip, so it does not sound as cumbersome as I thought. And the fine control of iris feature is very nice. It's still going to take me a while to accept the cost. I sure wish they would come out with a model that lacks the genlock features for a few bucks less (and add autofocus while they're at it).

alpi69
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
No, not cumbersome at all.

I have the iris on the wheel on the handle.
I have ISO ( gain) at button 5 on the left: press button and use joystick on the handle or on the LCD-unit.
Those two are pretty much what I need mostly and I can do that without taking a look at them..
If I need to change shutter speed I press function-joystick. The cam also goes to the last FUNC setting first. So I stay in shutter function all day, since I do the others with different buttons.

provostNick
05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I believe the "fine" iris control is 1/8 stop. Not bad.