PDA

View Full Version : Brand New House

mobiledeli
06-18-2005, 08:18 PM
my friends just got a brand new house... its totally unfurnished and will be for the next 4 weeks. the best part, its from the 1700's and its the scariest damn thing ive ever seen...

so naturally, i REALLY wanna do a movie there. but im drawing a blank on the plot. i dont wanna do a first night in the house, death shit, or a haunted house really (unless it kicks ass) so if anyones got any cool ideas, please tell me!

i hope to also keep you all posted on the progress, some bts clips, and production stills, etc. thanks!

Videoguy1
06-18-2005, 08:37 PM
If it's from the 1700's, how about a revolutionary war piece about a colonial family who was forced to quarter British soldiers during the war? It's an interesting subject actually. There could be all kinds of intense drama. How would someone react to being forced to house enemy soldiers during an occupation? There could be some kind of revenge action taken by the family towards the end or the soldiers could wind up killing one of the family members. It's got potential.

Rosestar
06-18-2005, 09:06 PM
If it's from the 1700's, how about a revolutionary war piece about a colonial family who was forced to quarter British soldiers during the war? It's an interesting subject actually. There could be all kinds of intense drama. How would someone react to being forced to house enemy soldiers during an occupation? There could be some kind of revenge action taken by the family towards the end or the soldiers could wind up killing one of the family members. It's got potential.

I like the way you think, that concept is chock full of potential drama... and is relavant to much of the political landscape we find our selves in right now.

Do you write?

mobiledeli
06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
thats some good idea! but theres a lot of problems, the location is on a highway, i dont have costumes/budget for taht stuff. i wa thinking a nitty gritty movie... someting that can scare the new owners wehn its done.

Tony D'Amato
06-19-2005, 04:35 AM
Do something from Poe like The tell tale heart ever sens I read it I wanted to do that but no right house where I live.

Videoguy1
06-19-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm glad you guys like my idea. I'm currently casting it with Mel Gibson as the lead. Just kidding, it's only a concept.

Rosestar,

I don't currently write but would like to or at least collaborate with someone. I have written/ produced a number of cable TV spots in my former pro video days. I just never got into real film making. I have more of a technical video background. I'm always coming up with ideas but have been side tracked with work, family, etc. Having moved fairly recently near the Hollywood area has peaked my interest lately in doing something. The current socio/ political atmosphere we are in does lend itself to some much needed or potentially intriguing projects. Any ideas?

mobiledeli
06-19-2005, 06:33 PM
im teh same way, i get an idea.. then im busy. but im doing this because this is the summer and i have no obligations... but a movie... but im still stuck on a story.. i dont need this to be like an award winning thing, just an excuse to film in a scary house.. its really an excersize for myself.

pmark23
06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
How about this: A bunch of guys make a small DV horror movie in a newly-bought and very spooky house. However, the house REALLY IS haunted, and one-by-one the filmmakers are brutally killed-off.

Don't show the killings, only the aftermath (LOTS of blood).

The twist is that film-maker that originated the idea did the killings because he HATES filmmakers. I'll leave the backstory up to you.

The other twist is that the house REALLY IS haunted, and the evil-and-twisted (though somewhat sympathetic) filmmaker gets his comeuppance in a most brutal and horrific manner (which of course is filmed, the irony being that he hates being filmed or having his picture taken.)

You could even have people from DVXUser show up as cameos. :-)

For inspiration, see "Evil Dead", "House on Haunted Hill" (50's Brit version) and anything by Dario Argento (there's one that's in a house -- "Suspiria" maybe? I forget.)

Videoguy1
06-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Maybe you do could some kind of Blair Witch meets the Evil Dead kind of thing. If you're just messing around, who know what will come of it?

Collink
06-20-2005, 05:30 AM
Ok, here is mine: A realtor brings an attractive young couple to see the old house. The couple inquires about the former owner, who drowned while taking a midnight swim. While touring the house, they get locked in a bedroom. Stranded in the room, they begin hearing noises, voices, banging sounds, etc. but their cries for help go unanswered. They spend an entire night locked in the room, until the husband finds some ingenious way to lower his wife out a window. The plan being that once outside she could come around and let them out. After a harrowing escape she makes it outside, but there she discovers that there are several scary men inside the house searching for something. She decides to run to the nearby highway for help, but is apprehended by another of the scary-thug-gangster types, they take her inside and tie her up. The husband hears her screams and can only yell for her and try futilly to escape the well-built antique prison of a room. Finally her cries fade, and he can only imagine the worst. The realtor and the husband must then hatch a plan to escape, rescue his wife, discover what the evil men are searching for in the spooky old house, and find out the truth about the drowning of the former owner.

The only problems are that you will need a cast of at least 7 really good actors. You will have to figure out the rigging/ safety issues with the window escape, and you have to cut me in 5% for the treatment. Not to mention the diamonds and the CGI effects work.

Videoguy1
06-20-2005, 08:17 AM
pmark23,

We must have been thinking the same thing at the same time. Evil Dead was a great movie triolgy wasn't it?

pmark23
06-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of. Great movie done on a low budget, few actors, just a few locations, but mostly done in a cabin -- and made money and stars out of those involved. More importantly, Xena wouldn't exist without it!

On beckerfilms.com (http://www.beckerfilms.com/evil.html) there's a diary from one of the filmmakers during the shooting which goes over many of the trials and tribulations they went through. Sounds like every film I worked on! Should be required reading.

I was going to suggest a "Blair Witch" element as well -- have the film done from the POV of someone shooting a "The Making Of..." of the film they are filming (so it's a film within a film within a film!) Then entire movie could be done easily and cheaply, and suspense could be raised by keeping the action offscreen (cheaper that way too.)

For example, have them hear someone screaming in the next room -- they all rush over only to find the door locked! The guy keeps screaming and screaming -- pleading for them to save him (or her) -- while they frantically try to enter the room. Finally they break the door down and find only lots of blood and a spleen (or something like that). Easy and quick to film, and directed right could be very effective.

Japanese horror films are also a great in respect of showing very little, but being very suspenseful.

mobiledeli
06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
well ive been thinking, and my dad and i got a small idea, an escaped psycho ends up back at the house where he killed his wife. he lives in the basement next to that chalk outline of her. a family's car breaks down and they find this abandoned house so they spend the night... the last night of their lives.

i added that dumb end thing for fun, but there are so many problems i see. any ideas on how to make it better?

Owen
06-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe lose the psycho, keep the chalk outlines. The family breaks down, enters the scary house... starts to feel relaxed... maybe it's okay --- they can stay here just this one night. Then they look around -- one of them is missing. A SCREAM!

From deep within the house: AHHHHHHH!

They go running to find their family member staring at a chalk outline. The area has been taped off with DO NOT CROSS police tape, but dad decides it's all old and whatever happened here is in the past.

Later they prepare sleeping bags on a dusty floor. As some of the dust clears they see another chalk outline. Blah blah blah.

As they all finally quiet down to sleep they hear 'screeeeech' 'screeeeech' as if someone is writing on a blackboard. They also hear footsteps as if someone is running back and forth above them.

Ultimately after much scariness and lame horror film fright moments they track down the source of the noises... high in the attic, walls and floor covered in chalk outlines, they find three children. One of them is busy posing on the floor while another traces his outline in chalk. A third runs around stringing police tape everywhere. Just as everyone breathes a sigh of weird relief a pounding is heard from below! The family turns to the sound, then back to the kids... but the kids have disappeared!

Dad investigates the pounding... it's coming from outside, where, of course, a thunderstorm is raging. It turns out to be the father of the three kids. They live in the big empty house. The man is a police officer and says that he had to leave the kids home alone for the evening when a big emergency arose in town. The dad tells him they must have invaded his police tape supply and mentions how morbid it is that they amuse themselves doing chalk outlines of one of their siblings. The kids appear, slowly joining their father (the cop) and whispering in his ear. The officer looks at the family that let themselves into his home and says that yes, the kids don't really enjoy doing chalk outlines of live bodies, but luckily for them they now have an entire family to practice on.

The family screams.... like this: "AHHHHHH!" or more of an "AAAAHHHH!"

or... I dunno.
**DISCLAIMER: don't take me seriously

J.R. Hudson
06-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I think the best story is one that can be told even without the Haunted House; wouldn't Hitchcock use this elemt as the MacGuffin? Find your story; the Haunted House is something that just happens to be there.

mobiledeli
06-25-2005, 04:43 PM
i agree with hudson. owen, thats a good idea, but not really what im looking for, i only have a few more days before i have to start shooting for time restraints. the house is empty, no furniture, and its scary as heck. any help? im drawing a blank.

but do you think maybe that idea about the psycho is okay?

Future user
06-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Deli,

You said the house is empty, right?
Why not just film in the empty house? Do lots of low dolly shots and room to room. Maybe start in the basement and work your way out. Or a bedroom closet door, from the other side a very quiet voice asking, "help us." and then you back out of the house and into the yard. Oh, damn. I was going to use this plot. Crap, well it's yours now.....
Remember, the scariest things are what you think you saw.
Music will be the key.
-Will
ps. I write all the time

Owen
06-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I was just spouting off whatever came to mind until I tired of typing. Hence the disclaimer. Please do agree with Hudson! If your intent is to scare the new owners perhaps your overall goal can be to explain why the house lies empty now.

mobiledeli
06-26-2005, 10:04 AM
well some friends and i are going there today to be in it and see what we feel would be scary. future user, what exactly do you mean? just show shots of the house, that would be cool, but not... plot really. if you know what i mean, or maybe i didnt understand you.

mobiledeli
06-26-2005, 08:49 PM
well we all thought up and idea and this is the best we could do in a few hours, what do you all think?

House Movie

ACT 1

EXT/INT. HOSPITAL – NIGHT
Ambulance drives up, people come out, the passed out man on the stretcher has blood all over his head and body and a big wound on the side of his head. They bring him inside and cut to him in a room. Quiet and silent except for a clock ticking. He’s a vegetable, doctors try to talk to him, but he just sits there. Lots of close-ups on his eyes. Cut between the scene and flashbacks.

INT. HOUSE – DAY/NIGHT
(FLASHBACK)
He locks his wife in basement, he lives in the corner of a room, no furniture in house, he tortures wife with his rows of knives on walls. Big ax, too. There’s a bat on the floor, the wife picks it up and slams him in the head, holding the knife, and he falls down and lands on his wife, killing her. He holds his bloody head, and stumbles out of the house. He collapses on the sidewalk somewhere.

INT. HOSPITAL – NIGHT
A doctor comes in for his intravenous food shot. The doctor gets scared by a knock on the door and hits the wrong vein sending shock. The man freaks out and kills the two doctors. He runs down the hallway, lost, he runs out of the hospital.

EXT. HOUSE – NIGHT
He runs up to the house and enters it through a hatch on the porch and into the basement. SLAM! The hatch closes.

ACT 2

EXT. HOUSE – DAY
A couple of kids are walking on the sidewalk, they stop at the old house, and they look at it. A few other kids come by, tough looking, and taunt the kids, scaring them into thinking that it’s haunted. They dare them to stay the night. No! So they take the kids and lock them in the house.

INT. HOUSE - DAY
Let us out! See ya tomorrow! Scared, house is dark, they turn lights on and it’s not THAT scary. They try the doors, but they’re all locked. They all sit on the floor in a living room of sorts. Talk a little bit. Hear a toilet flush. All four of them are there... so what was that? They go to see what’s up and they see blood on the toilet. What? Then they hear footsteps behind them. Maybe the blood was there before, they ignore it (kinda) and go downstairs, but there’s only three of them. What?

They look for him, cheap scare cause he was joking. Hahaha, then he gets pulled into the bedroom he was hiding in and the door closes. Screaming, door is locked. They struggle to open door and finally open it. There’s blood streaks on floor and bloody hand print on door knob. They gotta get him out, so they go down and grab a floorboard and use it as a weapon. One goes to the closet door, opens it, he’s gone. It’s empty. The others stay downstairs and hear footsteps and dragging. So they follow the sounds and see the basement door closing. They call the other friend down.

The door is locked. But one of them saw another way in, they go outside to the hatch, the same one the man went into. They end up in the basement. They see the friend and wife dead. There’s the bloody bat on the floor from the fight with the wife before. There are knifes on wall. The kids are freaking out. From the shadow comes the man he hits one of the remaining three kids on the head knocking him down. Shit!

There’s a struggle, one goes back to the hatch, the other runs up the stairs to the upstairs bedroom. The one who goes outside hears the kid who was hit on the head screaming and has to go back in. He finds a window, breaks it, and goes in. He goes up the freaky stairs, the man could be anywhere behind him. The friend hiding hears the noises and tenses up. He is hiding in a side room in a bedroom. The friend sees the other friend come in, comes out of hiding spot, they gotta get out. They start leaving, but the hiding kid sees the man and hides, the other kid gets it from the guy. The last kid is hiding in the bedroom now.

The man walks in the bedroom and looks right at where the kid is hiding. He strokes his knife as he waits for the kid to come out. Sure he could go in, but he’s waiting. There’s a noise in the hall, the man looks and gets hit in the head by the kid he just stabbed. The kid falls and pushes the knife deeper into himself, dying. The hiding kid jumps out and runs the man stabs him in the leg, nearly paralyzing it. The kid limps around the house, the man gets up and looks around, he is easy to find and the man knocks him out.

ACT 3

He wakes up in the basement next to his dead friends. The man takes an ax off the wall and slowly drags it toward the kid (extremely tense) the kid is screaming the whole time. The kid looks around and grabs the bat (the one that gave the man the head injury in the first place) and hits him in the head with it. The man falls right on the kid with the ax. Dead, just like the wife. The basement is a major death scene.

EXT/INT. HOUSE – DAY
It’s morning now, and the bullies from the beginning come back to get the kids. They open the front door and look around. They go down into the basement... holy shit! From behind them comes the man. Club! Black!

THE END

personally, i think its OKAY, not my best, but not my worst. so what do you all think?

Future user
06-27-2005, 12:45 PM
everything should be from a low angle. slowly move through the house concentrating on its expansiveness. its emptiness. Late evening so you get the warm natural light.

cut to outside. (all of this is at night)

teenage couple looking for a "makeout" spot are seen running up to the house.

they sneek in a side window.

he gets grabby, she says "close your eyes" he does and she ducks out of the room and calls "Come get me..." he opens his eyes and goes to find her.

follow him around as he looks for her. You hear her voice from left, then right, do the circle around him thing as he gets turned around and cannot find her.

then she screams.

sounds of a struggle.

he runs upstairs and sees the closet door shutting.
he runs over and pulls it open. It's empty. he turns around to leave.

shoot from the side, hands reach out of the "empty" closet and grab him
cut to black.

morning light for this part. go through the house again and wind up looking at the closet. It's all bright and pleasant. Then you hear "Help Us" from behind the door.

cut

This just off the top of my head.

asylumproductions
06-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Think SESSION 7. One of the best for a scary atmosphere, and nothing really happened.

Sad Max
07-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Thre was a creepy HP Lovecraft story about a police detective and his prisoner spending a night in an old mansion with an evil reputation...

cassese
07-02-2005, 06:58 AM
How about a conversation that takes place between two world leaders that are dead. HBO did something like this, but they were just facts about Hitler, Mao Se Tung, etc. There is also a play on right now with Julian Sands as Tony Blair, and Keith Carradine as George Bush, but not along the lines you are talking about.
Think of what questions you would ask Alexander the Great, or Attila the Hun. The empty rooms could be rationalized that they were placed there by some higher being to see the error of their ways, etc. Would make for some interesting dialog don't ya think. Which world leaders would be the key...IMHO

matthewd5
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
simplicity...

a young couple move into their first house, they are relocating from across the country and the movers aren't there.

they have just the bare necessities.

just play off of that and use minimal lighting because the couple would have maybe a flashlight or two?

try to come up with something a little bit more original than a simple haunted house.

maybe one of the two sees things and the other person doesn't, maybe in the end it is the husband trying to drive the wife nuts and you find out that the husband has a girlfriend helping all along to scare the wife?

in the end the wife and the girlfriend were in on it and they kill the husband? maybe a little too cliche'd?

matthew

Jay Rodriguez
07-06-2005, 09:19 AM
everything should be from a low angle. slowly move through the house concentrating on its expansiveness. its emptiness. Late evening so you get the warm natural light.

cut to outside. (all of this is at night)

teenage couple looking for a "makeout" spot are seen running up to the house.

they sneek in a side window.

he gets grabby, she says "close your eyes" he does and she ducks out of the room and calls "Come get me..." he opens his eyes and goes to find her.

follow him around as he looks for her. You hear her voice from left, then right, do the circle around him thing as he gets turned around and cannot find her.

then she screams.

sounds of a struggle.

he runs upstairs and sees the closet door shutting.
he runs over and pulls it open. It's empty. he turns around to leave.

shoot from the side, hands reach out of the "empty" closet and grab him
cut to black.

morning light for this part. go through the house again and wind up looking at the closet. It's all bright and pleasant. Then you hear "Help Us" from behind the door.

cut

This just off the top of my head.

That's a great short just waiting to be filmed!

May I?

Future user
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
coffee,
if you would like to you are welcome to the idea. I can send you the full shot list and "script" if you would like
-Will

Slimothy
07-07-2005, 01:38 PM
You should post some screen grabs of the house. Might spur our imaginations. Tim

mobiledeli
07-09-2005, 10:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/mobiledeli/9.jpg

these are just a few rooms, theres a lot more i didnt have time to film.

Jay Rodriguez
07-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Awh man that's a creepy looking house dude! I can see so many directions that you could bring a story to with a house like that at your dispense.
Let me know what's up, I sent you a PM.

Jay Rodriguez
07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
coffee,
if you would like to you are welcome to the idea. I can send you the full shot list and "script" if you would like
-Will

Hey Will, PM sent.

Phil
07-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I call this "Daughter"

Over black we hear, "We'll think about it and let you know."
We fly around the house, down a set of stairs, around an empty room to a realtor.
He sits on the phone talking to a couple about buying the house. He asks if they have kids and pets. He asks when they can come by.
The husband and wife walk up to the door, he opens, and they walk in. Another couple walks out dressed all in black.
He shows them the house. To the best of his ability, he tries to sell the house. He asks how old their daughter is and if she'd like a classic house like this. The wife explains the daughter is away at camp, but the wife is clearly distraught by the house and wants to leave. As he walks them towards the door, it fades out.
Fades in to the realtor, he sits with his head down.
He calls a number and begins trying to negotiate on the phone. He explains that the price is fair, but the owner can come down a little. He asks if they have kids, and how big the place is, it's enough to have pets running loose. He lets them know that a son and a daughter would love it here, and how they can run around. He asks if they would like a tour. He lets them know that he'll be here for a little while today, if they'd like to stop by. Fade out.
A knock on the door sends the realtor flying. The couple stands at the door. He looks out to the driveway seeing the kids waiting in the car. He asks if they would like to see the house too. The mom explains, they're a little scared.
He invites them in.
When they walk in, another couple leaves, dressed all in black. He shows them around and starts to talk about the architechture. He shows them the rooms. They ask when they can move in. He asks perhaps the kids would like to see the house. He says he'll go get them. The mom puzzled says, "Don't worry, we'll get them"
They walk towards the door. He stops them and says "You can't leave.". The husband tries to open the door, but it won't open, he turns around. The shock of his face explains it all.
The wife is pulled into a mass of people. All dressed in black.
The realtor explains in VO as he goes outside, gets the kids to come in the house, and takes the car, leaves it unlocked down the street. He removes the liscense plate.
I came here after my wife died. I was buying a house. My daughter and I have been stuck here for a long time. The first realtor was 35, he was here until I came. I was released when another realtor came, he was 35. But I decided to stay. Did you see the two people leave? The husband was 31 the wife was 28.
The husband says quietly. I'm 31.
That's why I asked about your daughter. My daughter was 12 when we first saw the house. Your daughter is 12.
I want my daughter back.
The daughter looks at the dad. The son launches to the daughter but a hand pulls him into the crowd. Then a hand grabs the dads. The girl looks at the realtor, and a hand grabs hers.
He says, "I'm sorry"
As the dad is pulled in, he says, "Today is her birthday...she's thirteen...today...birthday...she's..." And he's gone.
The realtor looks to the little girl as she's pulled in. "NO!" He waits for his daughter to emerge, but everyone disappears.
He falls to his knees alone... "I JUST WANT MY DAUGHTER...I...just wanted my daughter...I "
Fade out.
Fade in.
The realtor sits in his chair on the phone. "When can you come by?"
Black.

Slimothy
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Wow...Now I know why you're aching to shoot something in the house! What an awesome looking set that would be. Just be creative, maybe use if in this month's dvxfest undead edition! Tim.

mobiledeli
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
hey phil, that was groooooovy... and just a quick question cause im reallllly lazy, when is the dvxfest due?

Phil
07-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Before August 31st

Jay Rodriguez
07-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Phil, that was freakin feaky dude! lol

D.O.C.
07-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Sure was.

Phil
07-12-2005, 07:59 PM
:) Cool. Thanks guys!