PDA

View Full Version : GH2 Edelkrone Pocket Rig...rig

Heartfelt
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I just got word that my rig shipped. I ordered one for my home rig (small).
http://www.edelkrone.com/

I also ordered Lens Straps until i can afford to order a true follow focus.
http://www.lensstraps.com/

I have a family trip upcoming and will be shooting some vid. Since I haven't seen much on the pocket rig, i thought I'd post a review of sorts here, when it gets in. I hope it gives me an idea of Edelkrone products. I am intrigued by their rigs and follow focus units and am thinking of speccing them in a commercial rig.

rob

DPStewart
05-11-2012, 01:39 AM
OK...That lens strap thing looks pretty darn clever.

MR Fanny
05-11-2012, 02:57 AM
looking foward to the review. thinking of gettin one myself

Heartfelt
05-11-2012, 09:42 AM
One cool thing about the Lens Straps is that even after you get a follow focus (or if you have one), it can be used for zoom, if needed.

And it is so dirt cheap that trying it won't set you back more than $20, so there is nothing to lose.

Heartfelt
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
One thing I like about Edelkrone's new follow focus is the location of the knob and the marking disc. Pretty unique.
http://www.edelkrone.com/followfocus/

They have my interest on many levels.

FrameFarmMedia
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Please post a review of the lensstraps when you get them. I am interested but wondered if the up and down motion of the handle did more to shake the lens than the forward back motion of a traditional FF.

Gymnut808
05-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I've had their Modula 5 rig for about two months now and have been very impressed with its build quality; My only qualms are the handgrips can be a little slippery if your palms are sweaty and the shoulder pad really isn't a pad, but simply a hardened wedge. I thought about picking up the Pocketrig, and I'm sure you'll find it suits your needs. Pre-ordered the FocusOne(and 5 lens gears) when I ordered my Modula5, but it looks like it's been delayed yet again(they were supposed to be shipping them out this week).

Heartfelt
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I've had their Modula 5 rig for about two months now and have been very impressed with its build quality; My only qualms are the handgrips can be a little slippery if your palms are sweaty and the shoulder pad really isn't a pad, but simply a hardened wedge. I thought about picking up the Pocketrig, and I'm sure you'll find it suits your needs. Pre-ordered the FocusOne(and 5 lens gears) when I ordered my Modula5, but it looks like it's been delayed yet again(they were supposed to be shipping them out this week).

Would you mind show a pic of your rig?

They also had a Modula 7 which hung off the back for balance but discontinued it. They will have a replacement (they say) with a model 6. No idea what it will look like.

Gymnut808
05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Would you mind show a pic of your rig?

They also had a Modula 7 which hung off the back for balance but discontinued it. They will have a replacement (they say) with a model 6. No idea what it will look like.

Sorry for the low-res iPhone pics. I've got the accessory connector bundle which adds cold shoes to various of the 1/4 thread holes located on the back of the rig, as well as one on the top handle. They're well made, however rather pricey for a cold shoe/threaded screw. The monitor arm actually has a 1/4 threaded hole in which I can also attach my Sound Devices Mix Pre-D to; I thought that the Mix Pre would be too much weight but it's pretty rock solid on that arm with the SmallHD DP4. Their customer support has been pretty stellar, although I suspect they're having some last minute issues buttoning up their new FF units. I do like how the Modula series is scalable, in that it can accommodate camera systems other than DSLRs, such as prosumer cameras.

Edit: I'm using a Manfrotto QR system that I've got attached to slider, jib, and glide cam.

Heartfelt
05-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for posting.

ed_lee83
05-12-2012, 01:43 AM
I have the Modula 3 and i'm fairly sure I won't ever need to fuss over rigs again. Highly recommended, Edelkrone

MR Fanny
05-30-2012, 03:29 AM
OP - how are you finding the pocket rig?

Is it me or has the price gone up on these?

Heartfelt
05-30-2012, 07:37 AM
OP - how are you finding the pocket rig?

Is it me or has the price gone up on these?

I love it and enjoyed using it on my vacation last week... ended Monday. I will create a review soon, perhaps this weekend. I have some very minor gripes but overall, it is an awesome piece of kit.

The price is still $299 on Edelkrone's site.

MR Fanny
05-31-2012, 03:03 AM
thanks that would be great. be interested in your minor gripes too. considering the pocket with follow focus bundle.

price online is $339 with "special backorder price" of $299. I am hoping its just a "marketing" spin on price to get orders in.

Heartfelt
06-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Pocket Rig Review:

SIZE:
Quite small when folded. I have a shoulder bag where the camera fits in a side pocket. With the unit attached, it fits just fine, snug, but just fine. I hoped to not have to replace my bag due to the size increase from without to with and I don't need to. Perfect. In fact, I have left it on most of the time, even when shooting photos. I have begun to like the extra touch points. I typically will only take it off when using my shoulder strap or if needing to be agile.

What I Love: Size is awesome – easy to leave on all the time.

CONSTRUCTION:
The pocket rig is very well made, solid, but not too heavy. The fit of parts is right on and every intended movement is solid. It truly is a machined masterpiece. I am very impressed. I love the butterfly shoulder rest and impressed with the deck padding which is like “gel-type” ribs. It sure goes a long way towards a sense of gentleness and care for the camera. When you look at one in your hand and see the placement of screws, allen screws and the design of each piece… it is truly impressive… seriously.

What I love: This thing is WELL Made. I have no concern about camera security when on the pocket rig.

Minor gripe#1: This is one of my only two gripes about the unit. The rods, while well made, unscrew from the body under the right circumstances.

After it shipped, I thought of handles and since Ikan is local to Houston, I simply grabbed two here. They were cheap handles that attach independently. Therein lies the problem. Edelkrone’s handles are join together by a block. When attached, there is no rotation induced but with other, independent handles, which could be important if you only want one, the Rods may spin. I intend to put a drop of Loctite on each rod to solve this for my purposes.

IN USE
It is so amazing to be able to pull an entire video rig out of a small shoulder bag. WOW. My first and greatest use is an all contact points style with two handles, the should support kept short and the viewfinder against my face for 4 points of contact… viola, instant human tripod. Rock solid. With a shoe-mounted monitor (what I want), it can be pushed out away from you. That would be comfortable. Truth is, there are so many variants on usage… so many ways you can set it up. Even Edelkrone is offering different configurations.

I found with two independent handles, like mine, it can be used like a fig rig. The handles don’t quite go vertical but do give enough separation to give it a go. It isn’t a steadicam but it can allow similar, but small movements, with care.

What I love: Completely flexible and variable. You can do many things with this rig. You are likely to find something unique, according to your style and need.

CONCLUSION:
I absolutely love this unit and it give me reason to buy Edelkrone products.

The big question is: Can it replace a shoulder rig?

Yes and no. No if your need includes a monitor, wireless receiver, audio recorder, external battery ~ all together

Here are some yes scenarios:
1. Run and Gun with FF, Matt box, audio recorder with built-in mic - easy
2. The above with an audio recorder in pocket and a shotgun
3. The above with the audio recorder mounted and wireless receiver in pocket
3. Shooting b roll

You can see that there are ways to make it work. You may even be able to mount gear under the unit. The point is that in a pinch, you can make it happen and it won't suck.

Kennethp
06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I just got it as well, made a little write up here (also video) :
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?284693-A-little-Edelkrone-pocket-rig-demonstration

MR Fanny
06-16-2012, 06:55 PM
thanks for the reviews guys. Robert - what are those handles called, they look quite nifty. tried ebay search but dont know what these handles or joints are called ha

Heartfelt
06-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Handles:
http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=442

simonpwood
06-16-2012, 11:33 PM
With the 2 grip handle its difficult to focus, no?
As I use a follow focus (a Gigi iFocus which only attaches to 1 rod, not 2 rods) I was thinking that maybe something like this would be good (1 grip attached to 2 rods to give center stability with right hand while left hand is on the focus wheel):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Front-Handle-Grip-For-DSLR-Rig-15mm-Rod-Rail-Support-System-5D2-60D-7D-/280835243443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416315bdb3#ht_3484wt_982

The unit would also clamp the 2 rods together to give more strength.

Heartfelt
06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
looks good to me. I like having the handle there as backup or a resting place for my hand.

JFP
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Heartfelt thanks for the review, I'm looking to pick up the pocket rig in the near future, how long are the rods when extended?

Heartfelt
06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
they are 4.5 inches and the front of the unit and the camera is recessed about 1/4 inch. This means that from the front of the camera to the end of the rods is about 4.75 inches.

JFP
06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks, I also assume that since they rotate that it's possible to replace the rods with longer ones if needed? Obviously they wouldn't fold up but it's nice to have the option if needed.

Heartfelt
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I also assume that since they rotate that it's possible to replace the rods with longer ones if needed? Obviously they wouldn't fold up but it's nice to have the option if needed.

I guess so and they may choose to make a custom set. Outside of Edelkrone, I haven't seen a threaded set but my experience is very limited with rigs.